Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 03 Z for about 3 months now. I was checking out the aluminum chassis reinforcement plate that A & A Corvette sells and it sounds like a good deal. However, laying down and peeking under my car with a flashlight, I do not see a stock plate where one is supposed to be???? My exhaust pipe diameters seem to hang slightly below the floorboard level where the plate should bolt up. Can this be true? My tailpipes are exposed all the way from the engine to the mufflers. Also the pipes appear to be kind of a rust color and I thought the Z had titanium pipes?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,276 Posts
firsttimevette said:
I've had my 03 Z for about 3 months now. I was checking out the aluminum chassis reinforcement plate that A & A Corvette sells and it sounds like a good deal. However, laying down and peeking under my car with a flashlight, I do not see a stock plate where one is supposed to be???? My exhaust pipe diameters seem to hang slightly below the floorboard level where the plate should bolt up. Can this be true? My tailpipes are exposed all the way from the engine to the mufflers. Also the pipes appear to be kind of a rust color and I thought the Z had titanium pipes?
Only the mufflers are titanium from the flange back.

There is no plate covering the exhaust system from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so does that mean the Z doesn't have a chassis reinforcement plate stock? The web site said it is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock plate? After posting, I thought my pipes may had been changed by the previous owner, so I looked to be sure the cats were still on..that's all I need here in California, a smog check and having to buy a whole new replacement exhaust!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you're saying the chassis reinforcement plate bolts to the chassis above the exhaust pipes? Meaning, I have to remove the exhaust to swap it out for an aluminum one? The A & A website shows a diagram of it sitting flush with the floorboards?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
firsttimevette said:
So you're saying the chassis reinforcement plate bolts to the chassis above the exhaust pipes? Meaning, I have to remove the exhaust to swap it out for an aluminum one? The A & A website shows a diagram of it sitting flush with the floorboards?


That's the ticket, no exhaust installed yet in that pic. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks JETZ for clearing that up. Think I'll stick with what I have. It does make sense though to have the pipes tucked up under the cover, so the whole undercarriage is flat for aerodynamics--but hey, far be it for me to second guess the designers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
It does make sense though to have the pipes tucked up under the cover, so the whole undercarriage is flat for aerodynamics--but hey, far be it for me to second guess the designers!


Well, if the pipes were tucked up under the cover, all the exhaust heat would be trapped next to the underbody of the car. :NoNo:

IMHO this tunnel plate is worth doing. I did my 2004 ZO6 when
the car had 1000 miles on it. I Got the plate from Jeff at Elite
Engineering. It’s stainless steel ceramic coated. Look at Jeff’s
Web sit…You’ll be impressed. Go ahead and make the mod...it's very easy if you can get the car up in the air. Let us know how you like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll wait until I need to have the car raised up on lifts. Speaking of which, I notice the price of electric lifts seems to be going down over the last few years. I've seen ads for less than $2,000 dollars!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
Here's a pic of when I installed mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Steve Carter said:
It does make sense though to have the pipes tucked up under the cover, so the whole undercarriage is flat for aerodynamics--but hey, far be it for me to second guess the designers!


Well, if the pipes were tucked up under the cover, all the exhaust heat would be trapped next to the underbody of the car. :NoNo:

IMHO this tunnel plate is worth doing. I did my 2004 ZO6 when
the car had 1000 miles on it. I Got the plate from Jeff at Elite
Engineering. It’s stainless steel ceramic coated. Look at Jeff’s
Web sit…You’ll be impressed. Go ahead and make the mod...it's very easy if you can get the car up in the air. Let us know how you like it.
Just got my plate, pedal set, and the pucks from Elite this week. Anyone tuck any insulation under the plate for extra heat protection?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Steve Carter said:
It does make sense though to have the pipes tucked up under the cover, so the whole undercarriage is flat for aerodynamics--but hey, far be it for me to second guess the designers!


Well, if the pipes were tucked up under the cover, all the exhaust heat would be trapped next to the underbody of the car. :NoNo:

IMHO this tunnel plate is worth doing. I did my 2004 ZO6 when
the car had 1000 miles on it. I Got the plate from Jeff at Elite
Engineering. It’s stainless steel ceramic coated. Look at Jeff’s
Web sit…You’ll be impressed. Go ahead and make the mod...it's very easy if you can get the car up in the air. Let us know how you like it.

Ditto! :thumb: Only people who have told me it does not make a noticeable difference are the ones who did not install one... :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
JETZ said:
Just got my plate, pedal set, and the pucks from Elite this week. Anyone tuck any insulation under the plate for extra heat protection?
Not aware of anyone adding insulation. The new plate will provide some additional protection. If it is not an issue now, it will not be afterward. I just bolted it up, great mod. :thumb:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top