Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to a thread at the CF site that Andy started. One can only speculate which air intake system he's talking about, but I think we can make a pretty good guess (this just after I switched to one :roll: ). Probably not a good idea to drive on dirt roads or down by the beach without pulling your filters and cleaning more often than not. :yeadog:

And just to think, we all are worried about sucking water up and hydrolocking. :roll: Damaged pistons/ring lands from dirt/sand/particulate passing thru the filters and thru the TB appear to be just as much as a potential hazard. :mad:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088917&forum_id=1

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks for the link. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Don, thanks for the reminder. I don't drive on dirt roads or near sand, but you do need to clean the Vararam foam filters on a regular basis. I have the street filter and use a light coat of foam filter oil after cleaning and it works great, but I clean it every 2,000 miles. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don Benson said:
Here is a link to a thread at the CF site that Andy started. One can only speculate which air intake system he's talking about, but I think we can make a pretty good guess (this just after I switched to one :roll: ). Probably not a good idea to drive on dirt roads or down by the beach without pulling your filters and cleaning more often than not. :yeadog:

And just to think, we all are worried about sucking water up and hydrolocking. :roll: Damaged pistons/ring lands from dirt/sand/particulate passing thru the filters and thru the TB appear to be just as much as a potential hazard. :mad:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088917&forum_id=1

Don
HI DON
I think there were other issues with this car but even if not he had a BLOWER on the engine and I'm not so sure the filter can handle that amount of forced air. I have never seen anything that bad ever. I don't think anyone will have that kind of problem if it is installed properly and maintained . I'm thinking lack of maintenance is a good part of the problem. If it had been maintained correctly wouldn't you think it would have been caught a loot sooner . I'm going to keep an eye on mine but honestly I'm am not that concerned but if I see even a hint of dirt it's gone . Till we meet again ( hopefully before the next HOOTER'S run)
Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OLDGUY said:
I'm thinking lack of maintenance is a good part of the problem.
You are absolutely right on that. And trust me, I've seen the result of a lack of maintenance first hand, and it ain't pretty. :NoNo:

Don

·
Registered
378 Posts
OLDGUY said:
HI DON
I think there were other issues with this car but even if not he had a BLOWER on the engine and I'm not so sure the filter can handle that amount of forced air.

Bob, I had a bottom feeder on my ride before the huffer was installed and replaced it with the BlackWing after seeing what got sucked into that thing.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I had a Blackwing on my 99 Roadster and now use K&N on the Z06 and never seen anything like that in my throttle body,but I do find an awful lot of junk in the front of my radiator. :mah:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I just read through the whole thread and was really amazed at the lack of understanding as demonstrated by most of the comments. :roll: Thankfully the members of this forum tend to form opinions more on fact than fiction.

Bottom line, I agree with OLDGUY. The guy was nuts to run a Vararam with a blower - he was just asking for trouble. I am willing to bet that the bulk of that material did not enter through the filter but around it, the design just will not stand up to forced induction. Just not a good idea. :NoNo:

As to the foam filter, if you are not willing to pull it every couple of months and do the maintenance then get a K&N filter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Backlash said:
I just read through the whole thread and was really amazed at the lack of understanding as demonstrated by most of the comments. :roll: Thankfully the members of this forum tend to form opinions more on fact than fiction.
WHAT HE SAID^ It seem like we have a lot of free thinkers
:thumb:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Backlash said:
As to the foam filter, if you are not willing to pull it every couple of months and do the maintenance then get a K&N filter.
And that about sums it up....

·
Registered
967 Posts
Backlash said:
And that about sums it up....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What exactly is the procedure for cleaning the filter. I know they have the kits to clean them, but I've never done it. Also, after reading the threads about excess oil getting into the MAF, I was a little partial about cleaning it.

On average, though, you should clean about how often?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I don't have a blower and my TB is always clean as a whistle when I check it. However, can somebody post the correct K&N Filter part number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
z06_23_45 said:
What exactly is the procedure for cleaning the filter. I know they have the kits to clean them, but I've never done it. Also, after reading the threads about excess oil getting into the MAF, I was a little partial about cleaning it.

On average, though, you should clean about how often?
i use the k&n filter cleaning kit on my vararam fllter.it comes w/cleaner & filter oil.after reading this thread last nite, i pulled mine & cleaned it today.it's probably been 6 mo. since i did it.the throttle body was spotless & i was relieved!a little sand on the filter is all i found. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts