Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kirk, I do not have a Z06 but I do have an exhaust plate, my first one was from Breathless, but when I washed my car the emblem would hold dirt and water, as most people will tell you I am very anal about how my cars look and this was not for me. I purchased an etched plate from Design Specialties www.designspec.com it is easy to clean and their chrome is the best I have found, I like the way it "finishes the rear area of the car, here is a pix.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have an exhaust plate and don't think its gawdy. That area needs some attention because of the big rear end. It ties in the chrome exhaust tips. Mine is from Breathless.

------------------
Z06,Red,Modified Red.Stock for now.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think the car looks unfinished without the exhaust plate. However, I also like the subtle look which is why I made my own consisting of a C5 emblem painted white on a black carbon fiber plaque.

------------------
SSPORT IT UP!!!

National Corvette Museum Member #4641
2001 Speeday White Z06 Corvette SS
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

·
Registered
906 Posts
I tend to agree with KMeloney. I studied automotive design at The Art Center in LA (now in Pasadena) and believe in the purity of original design. Highly modified C2 and C3 Vettes i.e.: six tailights, monster wheel well flares (EXCLUDING real GSs) generally
lower resale value. Having bloviated on that... (soap box closed) it's a free country, and except for the bank, it is OUR cars to do with what we want. What ever floats your boat! Is this a GREAT country, or what?

HarleyB

------------------
'73 Silver Roadster -gone
'89 Red Coupe -gone
White Z06 -coming

·
Registered
0 Posts
Honestly, my wife and I have the Breathless plates on both of our Zs. I really like them. I'm not trying to impress anyone, but I think it is eye catching to non Corvette owners. I've seen people from my rear veiw mirrow pointing at it. /ubb/smilies/eek.gif Personally, I really don't pay much attention to them, but Carl's is the classiest I've ever seen. /ubb/smilies/cool.gif JMHO

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Frank/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com

·
Registered
496 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HarleyB:
I tend to agree with KMeloney. I studied automotive design at The Art Center in LA (now in Pasadena) and believe in the purity of original design<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad not even GM believes in keeping the original design. If they did we'd still have the ugly 97-99 wheels. They can't even decide if BSM's should be standard or not not available at all, thus they leave it up to the individual purchaser.

IMO the original design results from a lot of compromises. I think it's up to us to expand on the original design to make the car what it should be. Of course that is left to personal preference.

·
Registered
906 Posts
To CorvetteSS: Original design is what made most of us buy the car in the first place. If it was truly ugly to begin with, we wouldn't buy one with the object of making it into a good design. Evolution within a model series is normal (wheels, trim detail, etc.) to keep the new cars sales rolling. Personalization (stripes, emblems, custom paint, wheels, etc.) is the fun of owning a nice car. The level of personalization sometimes separates vehicles that many people admire (fun for our egos!), or cause someone to take a photo of it and send it to BeaterZ.com (NOT good for our egos)

Live & Learn... Die & Forget It All. -HarleyB

------------------
'73 Silver Roadster -gone
'89 Red Coupe -gone
White Z06 -coming

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ahh... Good diologue! Thanks!

Again, I don't know which way I'm really leaning on this one. And, with so many different plate offernings out there, it really makes the decision more interesting! For instance, there's a MY one out there -- which could look great on my car, or could continue the color of the body down to there and maybe make the rearend look terrible.

Decisions, decisions!

-Kirk

------------------
2001 Z06
MY w/Black
Memory, Mirrors, Mats, and Moldings!

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's personal taste. I don't care for them. I like the look of the four tips sticking out and nothing more.

------------------

2001 Torch Red Z06

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey all,

There's always been a lot of talk about "exhaust dress-up plates" on C5, and so it's no different with our Z06's. I've kicked around the idea of getting one, but I'm not sure if I will. I suppose I have a philosophy about these (and other) dress-up pieces.

I often see people who put bright, gaudy license plate surrounds on their cars, and it always makes me think "It's a freakin' licesnse plate, which you HAVE to have.. Why draw attention to it?!" Or, I'll see someone who puts that chrome-looking plastic door-edge stripping on their car, and think "Why would you want to draw attention to where the doors open on a car, when the idea of the car design was to have flowing front-to-rear lines on it?!" I have a Jeep Wrangler, which I lifted, and which I initially had red shock boots on (against an otherwise black suspension, and under a navy body). I eventually ditched the red for black, thinking that I didn't really want the attention to be focused on what's UNDER the Jeep. But, then again, so people want the attention there.

Applying this line-of-thinking to my Z06, I'm not sure (just yet) that I wand to draw attention to that area (the exhast plate area). The rear facia has that neat "cut-out" look where it jumps up over the pipes, and I'm not sure that that that area under there was supposed to be "seen".

I'd think that most people figure "Well, as long as you CAN see that area, I might as well make it prettier." And that holds water with me. I'm just not sure that I'm going to go that direction...

Your thoughts, please! Thanks!

-Kirk

------------------
2001 Z06
MY w/Black
Memory, Mirrors, Mats, and Moldings!

·
Registered
496 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnZ06:
like I said...the exhaust plates don't weigh all that much, but neither do the rear compartment covers, or the power radio antenna, or the standard windshield over the Z06 windshield...but I also said..to each his own...so roll on the floor all you want...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense John. Just having some fun with you./ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a black exaust plate on my black ZO6. It has a ZO6 emblem centered in the middle. Looks really good! Especially on a black car. Gives it a finished look.

------------------

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2 cents is no exhaust plate. I'm also against body side moldings.

------------------

·
Registered
98 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZEEEE 06:
It's personal taste. I don't care for them. I like the look of the four tips sticking out and nothing more.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I feel the same way about this too...

------------------
2001 ZO6 BLK./RED

·
Registered
219 Posts
I prefer my Z like I prefer my wife - naked! /ubb/smilies/wink.gif

------------------
QS/Black - Stock Z06
99 Z28
70 LT1 T-Top
70 Z28 RS
Amish Buggy (1 H.P.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I looked at the area between the exhaust pipes and found it to be the lower portion of the center compartment that had been extended lower and with ribs, I said they want me to put an exhaust plate there!
Yes, it is designed to have an exhaust plate at that location, and it looks much better with one...mine from Xtreme is polished SS and blends in nicely with the chrome exhaust tips. Very happy I did mine /ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------
2001 Torch Red/Mod TR Z06
Zaino;CAGS defeat;Lloyds Z06 front/cargo mats;CAU decals;Z06 exhaust plate;Valentine 1;BP Al Gas Pedal;power antenna;Dynamat Super interior.

J

·
0 Posts
let me get my flame suit zipped up first....

GM went to a great deal of trouble and expense to shave off every pound they could from these cars...he!!, we don't even have rear storage compartment covers!!! while some think that add-ons such as exhaust plates, stipes and decals, even chroming the wheels for that matter all make the cars look better, aren't they getting away from what the car was designed to be??? I would never say someone elses car looked bad, to each his (or her) own, and I realize that exhaust plates hardly weigh anything...but I personally don't plan to change a thing...

------------------

·
Registered
496 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnZ06:
GM went to a great deal of trouble and expense to shave off every pound they could from these cars...he!!, we don't even have rear storage compartment covers!!! while some think that add-ons such as exhaust plates, stipes and decals, even chroming the wheels for that matter all make the cars look better, aren't they getting away from what the car was designed to be??? I would never say someone elses car looked bad, to each his (or her) own, and I realize that exhaust plates hardly weigh anything...but I personally don't plan to change a thing...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're right. My stripes probably added 5, maybe 6 ounces to the weight of a 1.5 ton car. The damn car is so slow now I can hardly stand it. ROTFLMAO

------------------
SSPORT IT UP!!!

National Corvette Museum Member #4641
2001 Speeday White Z06 Corvette SS
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

J

·
0 Posts
like I said...the exhaust plates don't weigh all that much, but neither do the rear compartment covers, or the power radio antenna, or the standard windshield over the Z06 windshield...but I also said..to each his own...so roll on the floor all you want...

------------------

1 - 20 of 30 Posts