Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of info on the chrome issue. I would prefer the polished/cleared version. Anybody out there done this?
Polished/cleared almost as shiny as the chrome and weigh less; will not show any rust like chrome will and should you get a nick in your cleared wheels, dab a little clear on it. If chrome chips you are SOL as such.
Have found a couple of sources in the Chicago burbs and it looks like $125/wheel if you bring them in without tires...up to 160/wheel and they will peel the tires, polish/clear, remount tires and rebalance with the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel.
Would love to hear of any experience anyone has on this issue.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had posted a similar question several months back, but unfortunately got little response.
When I looked around in my area I was finding similar prices, if not a little higher than what you quoted.

Good luck and post your decision and pics if you do it!

chris

·
Registered
620 Posts
gbjerke,
Look in the pit road section of this forum.
Thread started by Jacob about polishing 2002 wheels.
My wheels are in the shop right now to be polished.
I will post more on that tomorrow when I find out more.
Dave

·
Registered
878 Posts
I found a local shop in San Diego "Volcano Custom Polishing" and for $125 they will hand polish to a near chrome finish. They said clear coat would reduce shine of polish by at least 25%. They showed me samples of their work on owner and employee cars and trucks. No clear coat.. looked like chrome, but need to be washed at least 1x per week (no problem).

I'm dropping mine off on Thursday. They are polishing all outter flat surfaces, face of spokes and bowl, then I'm having the inside edges of the spokes and the inside wheel painted gloss black. I almost had them done in black chrome, but for reasons listed here, easier to fix and less problems down the road I decided to polish.

Do a search on "polished wheels" and you should see all the threads.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.
Dave--I'll be interested in your impressions.
Thx2.net--I can sure understand why you would forego the clear coat considering where you live. Let's see, you have these WILD temperature swings right? Like something between 70-80. Your skies are either "mostly sunny or totally sunny". No snow and the resultant salt they cover the roads with here. My temps swing from -15 to +100, humidity into the 90's at times and an annual dumping of 35" or so of snow which then mandates the road crews to dump about 125 gazzilion tons of salt on the road.
Clear coating is a must in this area. Yes I do envy your location!
I'll be sure to follow other comments here but will likely peel my wheels some Sunday, load them into the wifes crusier and take them in to the burbs (1 hour) and drop them off on a Monday. Unfortunately they want them for a week!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just an update on the 2002 Z06 wheels:
Called the shop Thursday, 1-10.
The person who answered the phone said he had not personally seen the wheels after the powdercoat was stripped. However he said that he took that as a sign that they looked fine and were being polished. Should be finished in about a week.
Still looking for chrome lug nut caps. HELP!
Those following the progress on these wheels; I will post a new thread in the pit road section when I get them back.
I have a digital camera and have never posted a picture but I will try it. May need some help.

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Chrome Lug Nut Caps - I think I read where West Coast Corvettes recently dropped their support of the forum. So, they may not be the best choice, but if you're still looking, I think they have them.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
clear coat vs powder coat (on polished wheels)

anyone have aftermarket polished wheels out there? if so...have you had them clear coated/powder coated or maybe since i live in sunny so cal...maybe NO coat? opinions please :);)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts