Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if its because of all the crap they put on the roads these days, but both my wife's and my chrome wheels are pitting bad.

I contacted Corvette Mike and told him about the problem and he said they are covered under warranty. He shipped out a set and we switched them on the wife's Z yesterday. Her's was the worse. I'm suppose to be having a new set shipped out to me in about 2-3 weeks for my Z.

If anyone out there has a set on order, and I know there is a long waiting list for OEM chromies, there may be a slight delay, as Mike only has 3 sets of OEM wheels to work with.

I will say however that Corvette Mike stood behind the problem and replaced them promtly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What a hassle, switching wheels around again. They sure looked great in your pics when you got them. Thanks for being honest and posting about the pitting. It may help others who are considering chrome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chroming aluminum might look good, but I'll keep mine stock. Chroming greatly reduces the strength of aluminum. It's called hydrogen imbrittlement. I hope you aren't planning to drive your Z06 fast!

For instance, except with rare exceptions, aircraft spinners are not factory chromed. Yet pilots spend hours polishing those things. Chroming would look great, and save time and money, but is prohibited by FAA.

Karl
67 MMBB Roadster
Z06
ATP CFI Etc.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Frank, the combo of the salt on the roads and sitting outside will cause these problems, they will happen again. There is really not much you can do to stop the problem because you drive the cars in all weather.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Frank I have had my chromies on for only 6 weeks . I ordered mine on a Saturday and was told it would take a few weeks. The following Wed CM called me and shipped overnight. I hope you have the same luck!!! LES/FUBU69 BTW I PAID $ 850 + SHIPPING-NO REGISTRY OR FORUM DISCOUNT HONORED ON THE WHEELS!!! GOT ME A LITTLE PISSED BUT I WANTED THEM REAL BAD!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CM has great service!! They were prompt to correct the problem.

I don't agree with the fact that I drive the car 365 days a year in all kinds of weather effecting the wheels. I always kept them clean an rinsed off the salt. I've had factory chrome wheels for years on other cars and NEVER had them pit so bad so quickly. I talked to Black Magic today, and he has had chrome wheels on his truck for 8 years and they still look like new. If its a quality chrome job, they will not pit with proper care.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have had both good & bad luck with chrome on wheels. On a truck they look cool and held up well. (well...except for having to replace 1 under the chrome warranty!) I sold the truck (& the wheels) right before the warranty expired. 3 other sets on various high & low performance cars did not fare as well. I was forced to cosmetically cover faults (with paint & clear nail polish) on the chromies just to sell these vehicles without causing too much attention focused on the deteriorating rims. I have finally learned my lesson...NO MORE CHROME WHEELS.... well except on the Harley!!:)

HarleyB

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Many factory chrome wheel are clear coated and most aftermarkets are not cleared. The salt and chemicals that they put on roads eats concrete, steel and anything else in its way. We used to do chrome plating at one of my companies and salt will eat through many metals if left on a surface for any period of time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carl,

I agree!! I asked CM about clearcoating the wheels, and he said it cutdown on the luster. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Why don't factory chromies pit?? Are they clearcoated?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Back in the 60's and 70's (Before your time, kiddy) I had Crager SS's for several years and never had a problem with pitting.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I also had Cragers in the late 70's and they pitted like crazy in 2 years of all around driving, I had them on a 340 six pack Cuda, and yes it was junk. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Any flaw in the metal below the chrome plating will cause the chrome to fall off, but the most important thing is the quality of the chrome plating job, primarily the pre plating processing. Flaws in the base metal are going to cause problems in the plating.

Any ding in the chrome may start the whole wheel to peel. I will be anxious to see what Frank's wheels look like at the cruise in. I agree with Carl, this could likely be a continuous problem.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think the poodles pee on Franks wheels, and that is why he has a plating problem./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts