Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going for a set of chromed repro Z06 wheels, but only have a couple of concerns -- care and the brake dust.

I know that the chromes will show the brake dust much worse, and thats no problem as long as the brake dust does not harm the chrome. How harmful is brake dust to the chrome finish? Will it harm the chrome if the wheels are not kept completely clean all the time, or waxed every weekend?

How do some of you guys with chromed wheels handle these issues?

Tnanks! :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've had chrome rims on my '93 coupe for about a year and a half, and just got them for my Z. I wipe them clean with a soft damp cloth after nearly every ride. This keeps them fairly easy to clean (since they never get too dirty) and only takes a few minutes. I also put Zaino on them, both for the protection and the shine. With this care, the wheels on my '93 still look as good as new, so I'm expecting the same treatment to work as well on the Z.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I must say that the chromies do not show brake dust as badly as I expected. I usually just wash them when I wash the car, if not washing the car, I just wipe them with a small towel.They are very resistant to scratches (4-plate chroming from corvette mikes) and require no special care. Some say treat them with rain-x & they will clean up easier, I use this foam kitchen scrubber to get into all the wheel crevices. You'll love the chromies.:cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use RainX, so far it works good. I just use a dry duster to remove the dust every couple days.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't think the brake dust appears nearly as bad on the chromies as on the stock rims.

I usually just spray mine down with "Son Of a Gun" and wipe them off. Put a coat of "Mothers Chrome Wheel Polish" on them every couple of months.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd have to agree with Frank, the chome doesn't seem to show the dust as easy as the stock rims.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sdz06 said:
I'd have to agree with Frank, the chome doesn't seem to show the dust as easy as the stock rims.
Wow -- I was expecting just the opposite.

So, nobody has answered the question about brake dust hurting chrome. Is it corrosive to the chrome finish if you don't happen to clean up the wheels on a regular basis?

You guys with the chrome wheels, do you see any deterioration of the chrome anywhere that can't be cleaned reglarly -- like behind the spokes on the inner rim surfaces?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry I missed the question.

I've chromed the OEM rims on all my vehicles for the past 6 years. Never had any problems. No peeling, chipping, no permanent brake dust residue, nothing, nada.

I used to use the Castrol wheel cleaner/brake dust remover on all the cars. Recently I tried the RainX on the Z06, so far so good.

On my 4x4 suburban, I have noticed some small dents on the rear rims from rocks that are thrown from the treads of the BFG All terains, but thats it.

Hope that answers your questions:cheers:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought a new 96 Toyota Lancruiser with chrome plated aluminum wheels. In April of 2002 it will hit the six year mark. I really only got them for they discounted the 1k extra that they were asking. And they would have charged me extra to put back on the standard aluminum wheels. After app 6 years they are relatively maintenance free, which is good for I take them to the snow a lot. I also tend to wash my cars app every month whether it needs it or not. I did break down last week and gave them a Mother's aluminum/chrome polish. They just gleam like I remember them when I bought them. Incidently I do Zaino them also. The brake dust does come off easy and the dust is not objectionable to look at.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can change to ceramic pads and the dust will go away. This what my buddy put on his and claims NO MORE DUST. When I talk to him I will get more info and part numbers and post it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the ceramic pads on my suburban.

The dealer saw them on a recent repair and warned that they have had trucks come in with damaged rotors from the ceramic pads. I haven't had any problems yet. (about 10k miles) Don't really care, the suburban stops now when I step on the brake pedal. Something the general's engineers forgot to do when they designed that beast.

I had to do something after running over a Saturn that stopped abruptly in front of me.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cool:guiness:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts