Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Are there more aggressive clay bars available than the standard ones ya get at Adams or Griots etc.? Recently clayed the work truck with Griots brand clay and it didn't get all the contaminants off. When I put my specs on( I'm getting older) and looked closely at the paint, I could see small particles of contaminant still left on the paint.

Thanks for your help.

Zrod

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Fine Grade Clay Bar- Cool Gray

-Fine grade clay is formulated to correct surface contamination without an aggressive approach. Does not require heavy pressure to correct serious surface problems. Best choice for removal of rail head dust,i.e. iron particles and common airborne pollutants.

Medium Grade Clay Bar- Purple

-Medium grade clay is more aggressive and suitable for more serious surface contaminants. Ideal for high volume reconditioning prior to surface polishing and waxing. Body shop friendly, excellent for removal of primer and airborne paint overspray. Contains no silicone and is non-toxic.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
IT L GO said:
Fine Grade Clay Bar- Cool Gray

-Fine grade clay is formulated to correct surface contamination without an aggressive approach. Does not require heavy pressure to correct serious surface problems. Best choice for removal of rail head dust,i.e. iron particles and common airborne pollutants.

Medium Grade Clay Bar- Purple

-Medium grade clay is more aggressive and suitable for more serious surface contaminants. Ideal for high volume reconditioning prior to surface polishing and waxing. Body shop friendly, excellent for removal of primer and airborne paint overspray. Contains no silicone and is non-toxic.
I have used the Purple and it works fine on my finish. Removes all of the surface contaminates.

D.J.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Go to an auto body supply shop, they have all grades.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT L GO, DJ

Thanks for the heads up about medium grade clay bar. I give it a try.

Zrod

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
I have some 3M Clay # 38070 and it is Blue?

Is this considered "Cool Gray"?

Works great.

But

It is the only Clay I have ever used.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
IVOZ06 said:
I have some 3M Clay # 38070 and it is Blue?

Is this considered "Cool Gray"?

Works great.

But

It is the only Clay I have ever used.
The clay bar you are refering to is 3M Perfect-It III 38070 and is listed by 3M as a soft clay compound. I have never used this product and am not aware of it's properties. I use a purple/blue bar made by a detail supply company that supplies it's product's to my local Chevrolet Dealer. I'll have to look up the name brand and post it later today if I still have the container it came in. The bar I use is a bit harder than some that I have used, (Zaino).

D.J.

IVOZ06 you have a PM

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
The clay bar you are refering to is 3M Perfect-It III 38070 and is listed by 3M as a soft clay compound. I have never used this product and am not aware of it's properties. I use a purple/blue bar made by a detail supply company that supplies it's product's to my local Chevrolet Dealer. I'll have to look up the name brand and post it later today if I still have the container it came in. The bar I use is a bit harder than some that I have used, (Zaino).

D.J.

IVOZ06 you have a PM
Man what a week. Finally got around to looking up the clay bar that I use. It's called CarKem Products Inc, Sanford, Fl
They call it Kem-Klay. Good stuff. 800-423-3168.
:usa: :usa:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts