Corvette Z06 Forum banner

CLB recall - using kit for autos on 6spd - talked to dealer about it...

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RocketSled 
#1 ·
After all the readings I found on CLB, I decided that it would be best if I can have Chevy dealer (or anyone else for that matter) install the bypass kit they are using on automatics for the recall instead of aftermarket CLB or what they are doing for 6spd on the recall...
After talking to dealers, no go!
1. Dealer won't put the kit on the car unless it matches criteria of the recall from GM.
2. Dealer will not sell this to any private party or other shop unless its another Chevy dealer which won't install it either.

So, basically no one can get the kit unless you are a chevy dealer and chevy dealer will not install the kit unless its on the right vehicle only for the recall reasons.

So, back to square one. Looks like aftermarket CLB will be on the way even though some say its not 100% for sure fix since there is very minimal possibility that it may still lock up in theory... What a joke!

I haven't owned the Z06 long and even though I love the car, I am already fed up with Chevy's stupid way of thinking and bandaging the problem instead of fixing it right!

Does someone out there have a solid 100% fix to this problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
i just bought my z and it has the recall on it, lucky the originalowner left the car sit in the garage and did not get it done. I have to say this is one screwed up recall. o the steering column lock is bad so lets not fix it,lets shut off the fuel pump instead. Boy that would be great that way the poor owner that was able to get his car out of the garage can't get it back in. :bs: wo thought this one up! I have purchased the CLB and its in the tool box waiting to get put on.I actually had a recal appointment but it rained and the car was just detailed so it stayed in the garage, i think this was some kind of sign. :NoNo:

#4 ·
If you're set on getting a CLB kit, many people here run the aftermarket setup w/o any probs.

Not that GM is w/o fault in this whole mess but the fix for the auto trannies violates a federal law about locking the steering in a manual tranny for theft prevention purposes. You can blame the federal govt (read insurance companies) for this one too...

#5 ·
Isn't the key a pats type key with a chip in it. Wouldn't that be sufficent for a antitheft to keep the goverment happy? To me GM needs to get a better actuator (if that is the problem). I know this might be throwing the recall out of porportion but it reads that there have been a couple instants of it locking when people are driving.( I know nobody has actually heard of them). Well if you are driving and it does lock up and the full pump shuts off does that kill the power for the brakesI'm sure power steering is useless since its locked up. seems that would be more of a safty hazard.I guess it beats the racall for the new ford gt with the faulty control arms.from what i heard it says do not drive .

#6 ·
bigbadbevo said:
Not that GM is w/o fault in this whole mess but the fix for the auto trannies violates a federal law about locking the steering in a manual tranny for theft prevention purposes. You can blame the federal govt (read insurance companies) for this one too...
Isn't this regulation is for new cars being manufactured?

Surely there is no federal regulation that says I have to maintain a working steering lock on my car - it seems to me GM is just being themselves.

#7 ·
RC45 said:

Surely there is no federal regulation that says I have to maintain a working steering lock on my car - it seems to me GM is just being themselves.
I agree... I also asked the dealer if I were to sign a waiver stating that I as the owner of the car want this done and will not hold them responsible, they still told me they would not do it.

What if in fact the steering wheel would lock up while driving around corner, now you have locked steering wheel AND no fuel, power, brakes, itc... Will they assume responsibility for the totaled car, injuries, possibly death? Personally I'd rather take the chance of someone stealing the car. If someone is determined to steal it, locked steering column will not stop them from doing so anyway...

Well, since many of you have installed the aftermarket CLB and no problems are reported, I guess that is the only other option.

#8 ·
RC45 said:

I would assume what you did with it is your business once you take ownership, just like those annoying tags on pillows and furniture... I would think the feds have better things to do. Now if your car was stolen and the ins co. was able to prove that you deliberately disable the column lock then you might be in for a lengthy discussion. As for GM not selling you the parts or whatever even w/ a disclaimer- it's still a unecessary liability on their part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not siding with GM on this one b/c I've gone down this road already... :cheers:

#10 ·
I also went to the dealer in hopes of getting the "real" CLB repair done. After much discussion with GM (according to them) they said they could not do it even though the technician agreed with my reasoning 100%. So it looks like the aftermarket CLB for me too. Unreal!

#11 ·
It's because of arrogant actions like this that I hope GM goes belly up and just fades away.

I of course would hate to see all the families of employees and suppliers suffer the fate of GM closing shop - however I can only imagine how rotten GM is at the core if this is how badly decomposed the interface with it's customers has become.

Here we have almost 40,000 cars or more - each produced with a KNOWN fault - and the solution is simple. (who knows how many other care models also suffer the safe fate - but there is no community so owners never know others have the same issue)

Yet, GM behaves for all intents and purposes like it is it's own federal agency and with impunity and arrogance simply refuses to service it's customers.

Is there nobody that has had the fix done to their A4 C5 that is willing to let one of the after market vendors duplicate the fix as a kit for us M6 guys?

Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.