Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 years without, I just bought another Z06. It's an immaculent 06.
I spent about an hour cleaning the alloy rims. Cleaning behind the spokes is a real bear. Especially the front. Theres only about an inch and half between the disc and the rim. I would do an area, roll the car forward a foot or so, do some more etc etc. My hands have cuts and scrapes all over from the disc.
Is there some easier way to get this area clean? Some type of tool to reach in? I know some people just let that area turn black, but I just can't seem to let it look that way. They look so good clean, but I don't want to have to do that every week.
Thanks,
Al

· Registered
377 Posts
There are also 2 or 3 differant products that spray on, leave for about 1 or 2 minutes and then wash off...I have used them in the pass...(not on my ZO6) but on differant alloy wheels in the pass and it work great...just following what the product says and DO NOT leave on too long....
"Never too much horsepower"
Jim

· Registered
270 Posts
Maybe a toilet bowl brush would work. I'll try that.
Thx
The museum sells a brush made for that purpose. I have one, but I also remove the wheels periodically and give them a good cleaning. I put C-Magic wax on them for long lasting shine.

· Registered
22 Posts
I spray a pretty stiff solution of simple green all over the wheel then let sit for a while. Then I'll spray it off with a squirt bottle of water. This works really well once a week after a thorough cleaning.

· Premium Member
9,755 Posts
I use a motorcycle cleaning brush to clean the inside of the barrels - flexible and soft (won't scratch).

· Premium Member
1,961 Posts
When you have the wheels off many times per year to change the pads and/or rotors, simply clean the wheels. :racing:

Seriously though, I bought a couple wheel brushes and turned one of them into a 90 degree for the wife's car to clean around the Brembo's.

· Registered
19 Posts

· Registered
1,423 Posts
The museum sells a brush made for that purpose. I have one, but I also remove the wheels periodically and give them a good cleaning. I put C-Magic wax on them for long lasting shine.
Kermit Dye, the President of C*Magic was at the Black Hills Corvette Rally. He even used the wax on the windshield and glass--just like Rain-X. I was skeptical at first, but if it works on glass, it should work on wheels. I think I'll try some next time I clean my wheels. The C*Magic on the glass does work.

· Registered
6,149 Posts
I would think the most efficient method for deep cleaning would be to pull the wheels and clean individually (or as a group). I am looking for low-profile floor jacks and jacking pucks to assist make this an easy method because I have no patience to reach in and behind to do all that knuckle dragging.

Good luck!

· Registered
270 Posts
I would think the most efficient method for deep cleaning would be to pull the wheels and clean individually (or as a group). I am looking for low-profile floor jacks and jacking pucks to assist make this an easy method because I have no patience to reach in and behind to do all that knuckle dragging.

Good luck!
I installed aluminium rails on both sides. Any auto jack will work. Doesn't have to be low profile.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts