Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did try the search prior to wanting to ask this, yet I could not get any results so here goes. For having my baby for only 2 weeks I have been noticing a tremendous amount of brake dust on the front. So the first question would be - what is the best brake pad to reduce this issue and still give the quality stopping power known for these cars? Second what can we use to have cleaning these wheels easier and still safe? And finally what product do we use to polish the wheels?
Thanks

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Do not use any abrasive cleaners, Mild car soap and water. Polish with your favorite Wax or Polish. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The factory pads works like a champ, but produce a lot of brake dust. Many folks replace them with GM Ceramic brake pads. The Ceramic's reduce the dust big-time. :cheers:

·
Registered
292 Posts
For a quick once over, a California Mini-Duster works wonder to pick up brake dust. I also use one on my BMW that spews out more black brake dust than my chimney.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The stock brake pads will definitely have you doing a lot of cleaning. The alternate most commonly taken is to run GM Durastops as mentioned above.

As for cleaning them, we typically hit them up with some Simple Green while the wheel is cool and dry. Following that, I rinse the wheel with water and use a wash mit with some Adam's car wash to remove the remainder of the dirt/grime.

For polishing, you can look into a variety of metal polishes. Adam offers a couple of differnet chemical cut's. If you're looking for a light abrasive, check out simichrome or Mothers Billet.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Has anyone tried the New Mother's, I'll call it Buffing Ball? I tried to buy one last week but the store's didn't have them yet. It looks like you install it on a drill motor and buff away. Don't know if it comes with buffing/polishing compound.

D.J.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Simple Green AMAZING and no abrasives :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
On a cool wheel in the shade or the garage I mix a wash bucket of really hot water and a mild car soap. I wet the wheel & tire and try to rinse off all the brake dust I can before I wash. I then I wash the wheel and tire with a 100% cotton wash cloth and lots of cool rince water.

The hot water seems to help lift the brake dust off my 2002 Z06 wheels better than cold water. I also do both rear wheels before I do the really dirty front wheels.

I find washing the wheels if they are still hot or even pretty warm somtimes leaves a stain that needs to be polished or waxed to remove.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
The first thing I did was get rid of the factory pads and switched to semi metallics. Durastops to be exact. This saved me a world of headaches with brake dust.
To clean the wheels, I spray down a mixture of noncorrosive cleaner on a COOL wheel. I make sure I spray the inside of the wheel thru the spokes. I let it soak for a minute and then I use a short haired brush to clean the face of the wheels. Then I follow with a long handled (toilet style) brush to clean the inside of the wheels.
Rinse and repeat as necessary. Oops. The repeat part was my Finesse shampoo. ;)

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
You just gotta try Poorboy's wheel sealant, wax for wheels. Reduced dust build up on my chromies big time

·
Registered
292 Posts
How 'bout installing some brake dust shields?

j/k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts