Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mug: I really need to clean up the engine bay and the only way I can figure out how to really get it clean is to spray it down with the water hose. Is it safe to spray the engine? Has anyone had any problem's from useing water to clean the engine up? Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sure

I have cleaned my daily driver with the a few times... it really isnt to bad but i would definetly not use a pressure washer or for that matter much pressure out of the hose itself. I usually just rinse it down and then get in there and wipe off surface dirt with a old damp rag with a little suds on it. After that comes another soft rins and then the real detailing begins. Be careful around the intake as well. dont really want to get the filter wet if you can help it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL! :lol: That would work but then I would have to hit them wheels and tires pretty hard!!! :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I clean mine about every 6 months with Simple Green on a warm (not hot) motor, spray it all down real well, let it set 10 mins or so, then rinse with just enough water to clean it off. Cover the fenders with towels as the detergent will take the wax off.

After I hose it down I start it and (while being careful of the moving parts) use a towel to wipe it down. Then I close the hood, let it get good and warm (for about 15 minutes - shut it off, let it cool and then I use Mcguire's wheel dressing on the rubber and plastic parts.

Works for me anyway.

Les

SGT. PYLE said:
:mug: I really need to clean up the engine bay and the only way I can figure out how to really get it clean is to spray it down with the water hose. Is it safe to spray the engine? Has anyone had any problem's from useing water to clean the engine up? Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
ZO6/Les said:
I clean mine about every 6 months with Simple Green on a warm (not hot) motor, spray it all down real well, let it set 10 mins or so, then rinse with just enough water to clean it off. Cover the fenders with towels as the detergent will take the wax off.

After I hose it down I start it and (while being careful of the moving parts) use a towel to wipe it down. Then I close the hood, let it get good and warm (for about 15 minutes - shut it off, let it cool and then I use Mcguire's wheel dressing on the rubber and plastic parts.

Works for me anyway.

Les
This works well for me too. I've been using the Simple Green on a warm engine for a long time. Once in a while, and just for a change, I'll use Purple Power (Walmart) the same way. Spray it on a warm engine full strength, wait 10 minutes and rinse off with garden hose. Dry and use your favorite dressing on the hoses and other black parts. Comes out looking like new and it's not too involved.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Simple Green has worked for me in the past as well. Currently using Griots engine cleaner with good results.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wash the motor when it's cold. I rinse it down and then use a towel with suds. Carefully rinse the motor. I would be careful around the intake and MAF sensor.

Alex

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I wash the motor when it's cold. I rinse it down and then use a towel with suds. Carefully rinse the motor. I would be careful around the intake and MAF sensor.

Alex
I do it cold as well. I try to avoid shooting water directly into the alternator, or the ignition components. I use Adam's carwash soap, simple green, and sometimes foamy engine brite if there's heavy degreasng to do. I gently brush all the aluminum surfaces with a brass wirebrush and carwash/simple green.

I blow dry the moisture out and follow up with Adam's In & Out spray and VRT treatment. Then I polish the hell outta my blower with Simichrome or Mothers Billet! :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try the engine cleaning method below. The results of this process were absolutely amazing on my Impala SS and Nissan pickup. Gary Grant's Corvettes and Impalas are immaculate as well. Unfortunately I can't tell you if works as well on the Z06 because my engine compartment hasn't needed a cleaning.

Engine Cleaning/Detailing
by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I normally use Simple Green also. I mix it no more than 50/50 with water. I don't use SG full strength anywhere on the car. It can leave marks on metal surfaces. I use a regular hose also, no pressure washer.

If you want a little bit of a shine, you can mix Armor All about 50/50 with water and spray the engine compartment down. It dilutes the AA so stuff doesn't stick to it and make it slimy. When the water evaporates, it leave a light shine and gives a clean look. It also helps keep the dirt from piling up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've used the Purple Power on several cars - then I tried it on a newer Saab. I ruined the paint under the hood. The little that spashed on the car's exterior didn't do any harm - probably because it was waxed. Now I'm afraid of the stuff and wouldn't let it near the Z.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The Knock Sensors sit in a recessed well under the intake manifold. The rear sensor is prone to accumulate water in the well, and corrode. I had to replace sensors on my 98, and have replaced the rear sensor on my Z. There's a TSB for it, actually. If you hose your engine, make sure you get it good and hot afterwards so you cook off as much accumulated water as possible.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'll look out for that. Good advice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
On a cool engine, spray a liberal coat of Simple Green, let set for 5 minutes, then hose off with warm or hot water. I've done this for years without issues. I use an air hose to blow off excess water and I'm good to go.

I don't advocate the use of pressure washers because of their ability to force water into unwanted places.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts