Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I join a group of guys every month and we go driving through the hill country. Last time, I ended up paying $2300 to re-spray the front clip on my Viper due to a freshly oiled and graveled road in the TX hill country. So, I need some sort of protection.
I hate the idea of a "real" bra, but am not sure about the clear stuff. Can anybody tell me more about it? I.E. is it worth it? Is it really noticable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We sell the stuff here at our dealership (STONEGUARD) and it looks good. BUT....

It can and eventually WILL cloud up - creating a not-so-good effect.

It can look orange-peelish.

Over time it WILL yellow.

Removing it after long period of time might do you wrong with your base paint.

Of course the mfrs all swear it is the best thing since Wonder Bread.

I've held off. Prefer a lightweight all-fabric bra to and from events and remove it once there. It rolls up into a small ball and chuck it in the back :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Defender, thanks for the info.
Unfortunatley, I did a n00b thing and posted before searching, so, mods, please forgive me. It seems like this is a well covered topic on these boards.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had it installed on my car about 3 yrs ago and i love it,i heard the older stuff will yellow with age,but the guy who installed mine said that they have a better film out that is thicker and not prone to yellowing of course i have a yellow car so if it yellows probably be hard to tell.But it gives you piece of mind,what you what to do is make sure installer knows what he's doing and shop is clean,and price can vary quite a bit, good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had it installed on my '04 BMW 530 and it's worked real well over the past 13 months. They used 3M and ArmourFend products. It's waxable and is not supposed to yellow. I've counted several small chips its prevented. I had the full front bumper done with a kit as are the headlights, foglights, and front of the mirrors. Custom work includes the hood, full rear bumper, rocker panels, splash guards, door cups and door edges. The custom work is cool as it can be pretty much installed anywhere you like depending on the skill of the installer.

It's easily removed with a hair dryer to start the peel if you need to.

I have to have some clear bra repairs done due to a meeting of the curb and my lower right front bumper. I plan to have my Z16 done soon.
Check my FAQ at http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13115 that includes extensive pictures of the install.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've done the 3m stuff to my Z06, after getting a few paint nicks upfront.
This is stuff is great- Has not yellowed and is wax able. Check Expel.com for dealers in your area. Don't get this stuff installed at a dealer- This guys will kill you(Mark-up).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just did the rockers on my car on my own, cost for the material was about $70. It turned out good and I would feel comfortable doing the hood on my own, but I would want someone experienced doing the front bumper.
You don't even notice it on the rockers.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I think the clear-bra is a must!
I am having it installed on the front end, I stopped by the shop yesterday to look at the car and it looks great, I just had the front end repainted for nick's/chip from my last cruise. I'm going with Armorglove, instead of the 3M.

http://www.armorglove.com

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I had StonGard installed on Ol Yeller last year, and am well satisfied :thumb:

:z:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have it on the front end, mirrors and behind te wheels of my Z. My car is black and you only notice it if you are looking for it. There are some stretch marks visible in a couple areas of the nose. The "orange peel" effect is there too but you have to be looking for it. Also, I have been hit by some good rocks (unavoidable in Colorado) and the clear bra material took a couple of nicks that are definitely visible. Looks like the paint is OK underneath though. By the way, regardin the yellowing, my pearl white '94 Audi has had it since new and I don't think it has yellowed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts