Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got either good or bad feedback on the use of the clear bras for the front end. I think 3M makes one that is supposed to be very good, supposedly won't yellow and protects the front end from rocks, etc.

Mark

·
Registered
575 Posts
Saw a couple of guys putting on the clear material to the nose of a C5 at Corvette Mike's in Plymouth, MA the other day. Guys did a great job and the stuff is kinda interesting. I'm sure if you called Mike in Plymouth he could explain all the details to you.
I'm toying with the idea of having it done to my Z06 when I pick it up in FL in Sept. Long drive back to Cape Cod, MA and it surely would be a great test of the product.
Had a bra and didn't like it!
FWIW....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Try this site:
www.stongard.com
I am going to get one before I move to AZ.
...I had a Vinyl one, just about ruined the front end paint on my '89...on the first 200 miles of the FIRST trip I used it. Stopped at a rest stop & threw it in the garbage.

HarleyB(Z)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone tried the stongaurd? How about anyone in michigan? Let me know, this stuff looks promising but I dont want it getting chipped up and having flakeing plastic all over! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Travis,
JMHO: Couple people on forum have used stonguard type products w/no probs, its a matter of choice. some high end factory applications are using it and it intragrates flawless........

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds good to me, we have these damn double trailer trucks up here that fire rocks out like a machine gun. At least this product may help a bit in my piece of mind.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had the 3M product put on today by a group called AutoBahnd. The product is called Roadblock. Application took about 4 hours. The installer came to the house and did it in my garage. Cleaned the front end with a cleaning solution waxed and buffed the front end and then applied the clear material. It looks great, You would have to know its there.

Will let you know how it holds up over time during the rest of the driving season.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was just over $600 for the Autobahnd product. The installer was meticulous, took him over 4 hours to prepare the front end and install the product.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got any websites? How does this stuff compare to stongaurd, how much protection did you get? Anything on the sides of your car? What about the brake coolers in the back? I hear they get sandblasted pretty good.

As always, Thanks

!!Museum Delivery August 23!!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Whatever it is, I'm always in favor of clear bras /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

JC

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wrenlds wrap /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The placed the material on the front end only, covering the nose of the car, the headlight covers and about a third of the hood. The covered around the side back to the front wheel wells. They also covered the leading surface of the mirrors.

Having done my car the installer was going to make a few suggestions about additional areas of coverage on the Vette, like the backside of each wheel well, the painted surface wraps into each wheel well and is exposed to debris coming off the tires.

They certainly did not cover the entire car, nor the entire front end for that matter, but they did protect the areas that will gather over 90% of road damage on our muscular beauties.

The website is pretty weak (www.autobahnd.com). You will have to send them an email and ask for dealers/installers in your particular area, I found mine through a friend who had the material applied to her Porsche Boxster.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, thats what makes this Forum...........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im going down to jack cauley chevrolet one of these days, they have a test demo corvette with this stongaurd stuff applied, so Ill get to see hands on what its like. Ill let you guys know what I find.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Speaking of clear bras.. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Reminds me when a FORD buddy walked into the physiatrist's office wearing only saran wrap around his privates..and after a long conversation, the doctor says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts!!" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif I may get this picture posting thing down yet one of these years! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
251 Posts
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Racing fast that was hallarious

Z

·
0 Posts
I have clear bra on my zo6
and you can not tell it is on the car. I race my car so we use it for paint protection. It takes a pro to apply the bra. we do keep the bra in stock pre cut for your car. verdone performanc 480-423-9939

1 - 20 of 39 Posts