Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had any problems with their chrome wheels making clicking noises? After taking my car to the dlr. to check out the drivetrain for noise they told me that the center caps were making the clicking sound. I used silicone to secure the caps and they still click. I also get the noise with the caps and lug covers removed, just not as loud. The noise only happens when I just start moving forward or reversing. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

COPTERJOHN:cheers: :)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I've seen this on hubcap cars but that's odd.

Is it a creaking or clicking? Have a friend listen while you drive in slow circles in a parking lot to isolate the noise.

Sounds from inside the car are unreliable as they are very deceptive. Have said friend walk near each wheel listening carefully to isolate the noise....

Or just wait and hope c4c5 can help......maybe some anti sieze on the lugnut mating surfaces and make sure they are torqued properly?

JC

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Clicking noise...

.... can sometimes be caused by a wheel that is not quite centered on the studs by the conical "self centering lug nuts. Jack up the car loosen all the nuts on a particular wheel and recenter and re torque by hand in a stepped star pattern 30-60-90 ft-lb. increments. This sometimes occures if the wheels are not torqued correctly or an air gun is used. Sometimes the first nut is tightened to tight and catches an edge and does not center. Nuts may have also loosened up. I always recheck mine after 3 days if I change or have a wheel off for any reason.

Who put your chrome wheels on? Did they hand torque them or use an air gun?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a set several years ago and the bolt pattern was drilled off center by just a few thousandths which caused a clicking and a wheel eventually broke. These were spun aluminum racing wheels. I believe I would inspect wheels and studs very close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts