Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this but have had 4 other vettes in my life. I have owned a Z since April of this year. Had 2k on it when I got it. It burned oil for the first 7k miles and now seems to have slowed down. About 1 qt. every 2500. I will have to live with it. The clicking noise started about 4k miles. I took it to the dealer and because I was doing an oil consumption test they wouldn't deal with it till the car had gone through the test period.When I reached 7k the oil was not burning like it had been and they told me according to GM specs I was within their range and I would have to live with it. They didn't want to tear the engine apart for lifters and then have to go back for rings.
The day they checked the engine for the oil problem they called me to tell me they didn't hear any clicking. I told them I would come down there and give the mechanic a ride to let him hear what I was hearing. He got in the car and in the parking lot he could already hear the clicking. I asked him what he thought it was and he said lifters. he had me pull off to the side of the road and put it in nuetral. I gave it some gas and right around 2k rpm the clicking started. It seemed to get less noisey as I gave it more gas. We went back to the dealer and he said he would contact GM. They told him to change the lifters. I brought the car down on 10/01 and picked it up on 10/05. It was supposed to be a 6 hour job. As soon as I started to drive the car off the lot I heard the same clicking noise. I'm beginning to think I'm hearing things. This tells me they either don't have a clue what they're doing and are just trying to keep me happy or they figure the clicking is from something else and are just waiting for me to bring it back. I love the car and I'm getting ready to put it away for the winter so I'm wondering if anybody else out there has this same noise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It is probably the exhaust

I would suggest you try to locate the source of the sound with the drivers side door open (car in neutral, parking brake on) and your head turned sideways. Stick your head out the door with one ear pointed towards the back of the car, one towards the front.

I think what you will find is that it is the exhaust your hearing clicking at 2K rpm, not the lifters. When I do this, the sound is not comming from the engine compartment, but from the back of the car. Once my car is fully warmed, the valve train is very quiet, get out of the car and listen under the hood. But there is something in the exhaust on these cars that clicks/rattles quite loudly, especially under no load conditions (reving in neutral, while shifting).

Best of luck
:cheers:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can't tell you the number of times I've had a header or exhaust leak that has sounded like a valve train problem (for those of you wondering why I am so critical of aftermarket header quality, take that as a hint ;)).

One method that has worked pretty well:

Take a piece of hose with an ID of 1/4-1/2". Put one end up to your ear and snake the other around the engine compartment to try and localize the source. If wind from the fan causes problems, tape the tip closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts