Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my display went out a while back and I am just getting around to fixing it. I was wondering if anyone has bought one of those remanufactured ones from ebay for $100. If not were is the best place to get one? Also, how do I go about getting the old one out? Thanks Dave

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think ebay would be a good place to get a replacement part. I have seen used ones on there for pretty cheap that would suit your purpose well.

To get at the climate control unit, you will need to loosen & slide the center arm rest/console back and up out of the way and remove the radio bezel trim piece. Both are are fairly large, single piece trim pieces and can be removed with a 7mm or 8mm (cant remember which, to remove the climate control unit), a 10mm socket, a torx 15 screwdriver and a small flathead screwdriver. You will also need a pair of larger flathead screwdrivers to remove the 'demon key' from the shift knob to get that and the shift boot off so you can remove the radio bezel. There are instructions & pictures on how to do this if you follow certain links on this forum.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Before spending the money first take the cover off the HVAC head and reflow the solder of the resistor packs as known the solder joints crack and simple soldering might solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Dont buy a new one, you can fix this easily by yourself with some jewelers screwdrivers, solder and a soldering iron. Standby for a PM

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's a full "how-to" for this fix on CF... Search "hvac panel fix", it should be the 2nd thread listed. It's a lot of reading but the answers are there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Blue Blood,
Can you give me more information on how to re-heat those parts on the climate control to fix my intermittent display problem?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Your responding to a post from eight years ago

Once you get the HVAC unit case apart via 4 screws,

then take the other 4 screws out of the bottom board and lift out.

Use low wattage soldering iron and re-flow any of the surface pads for resister packs as below as that is what mostly solder cracks

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts