Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I installed a hybrid Kevlar/Cermaic clutch (stage 2/3), Aluminum Flywheel and Lightweight pressure plate (it's cross drilled) from Spec, and an LAPD 3/8" ceramic coated Tunnel Plate. Then, I drove from Massachusetts to Florida. Here are my impressions.

The Tunnel Plate is a highly-recommended modification. The car is substantially more "composed" over rough surfaces like washboards and railroad tracks. The improvement is as noticable as when I upgraded to 04 shocks. This is a cheap mod, easy to do, and well worth the effort. And the ceramic coating does an excellent job of keeping exhaust heat from leaking in to the car through the torque-tube tunnel.

It's apparently very popular, the guy at LAPD said they couldn't keep them in stock. In fact, mine drop shipped direct from the manufacturer in Florida since I needed it in a hurry.

The Spec hyrbid clutch will, I hope, turn out to be a good decision. It's a little chattery now, but they say it'll go away with breakin. The idea behind the hyrbid ceramic/kevlar is to provide good holding force while staying "smooth", according to Spec. Chattering aside, it sure "bites" hard when you come off the pedal. Once the chatter smooths out, I'm sure this will be a winner.

The lightweight pressure plate and Aluminum FW are definitely good mods. The engine idles fine, which was something I had been worried about. The bonus is in acceleration. SOTP is noticably improved in low gear. When you put your foot in it the car pulls much harder. In addition, 5th and 6th gears also pull harder at low RPM. What used to need a few pounds of boost from the Vortech to get that "push you back in the seat" feel, the car delivers now with much less throttle.

Pedal effort was unaffected. The range of pedal travel required from no to full engagement is noticably less, but it's in the middle-top of the pedal throw and it only took a few dozen shifts to get used to, to the point I don't even notice now, a scant 4 days later.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. 50 Joe is looking for a clutch.
Keep us posted on whether the chatter goes away. :z:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Rocketsled. I am happy to hear that you are impressed by our LAPD tunnel reinforcement plate!! The 1/4" version is still currently more popular than our 3/8" race version but it has been a chore to keep both versions of them in stock!!

Thanks for your feedback!!

Brian
BT Technologies/manufacturer of the LAPD Tunnel Reinforcement plate

RocketSled said:
Last week, I installed a hybrid Kevlar/Cermaic clutch (stage 2/3), Aluminum Flywheel and Lightweight pressure plate (it's cross drilled) from Spec, and an LAPD 3/8" ceramic coated Tunnel Plate. Then, I drove from Massachusetts to Florida. Here are my impressions.

The Tunnel Plate is a highly-recommended modification. The car is substantially more "composed" over rough surfaces like washboards and railroad tracks. The improvement is as noticable as when I upgraded to 04 shocks. This is a cheap mod, easy to do, and well worth the effort. And the ceramic coating does an excellent job of keeping exhaust heat from leaking in to the car through the torque-tube tunnel.

It's apparently very popular, the guy at LAPD said they couldn't keep them in stock. In fact, mine drop shipped direct from the manufacturer in Florida since I needed it in a hurry.

The Spec hyrbid clutch will, I hope, turn out to be a good decision. It's a little chattery now, but they say it'll go away with breakin. The idea behind the hyrbid ceramic/kevlar is to provide good holding force while staying "smooth", according to Spec. Chattering aside, it sure "bites" hard when you come off the pedal. Once the chatter smooths out, I'm sure this will be a winner.

The lightweight pressure plate and Aluminum FW are definitely good mods. The engine idles fine, which was something I had been worried about. The bonus is in acceleration. SOTP is noticably improved in low gear. When you put your foot in it the car pulls much harder. In addition, 5th and 6th gears also pull harder at low RPM. What used to need a few pounds of boost from the Vortech to get that "push you back in the seat" feel, the car delivers now with much less throttle.

Pedal effort was unaffected. The range of pedal travel required from no to full engagement is noticably less, but it's in the middle-top of the pedal throw and it only took a few dozen shifts to get used to, to the point I don't even notice now, a scant 4 days later.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is great feedback!

I have LMG headers and x-pipe and the heat drives me nuts on long trips.

I also had been thinking about an aluminum flywheel and you gave a glowing report there also!

Thanks! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts