Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I think my clutch is starting to fail on me soon. It slips more during hard accelerations to name something.
So I think I have to replace it next season (I think after this month the car is going into hibernation).

What is the best way to go? LS7 clutch? Fidanza flywheel? New master/slave? 2004 model?
It's a stock '02 C5 Z06 with only a Vararam at the moment. Maybe in the future (when cashflow allows :) ) headers, heads & cam...

99% street use, but hard use (Autobahn, Alps.. no real track use).

Can anybody advice?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,834 Posts
Since the whole drivetrain has to come out just to replace the clutch system you should think about what you need now but also for future

The stock LS7 clutch has different bolt pattern
1.flywheel mount to crank
2, pressure plate mounting to flywheel which
LS7 bolt pattern is different to both so will not direct fit onto C5 crank and flywheel to pressure plate

There are vendors who do sell a flywheel that has bolt pattern to C5 crank and bolts pattern for LS7 pressure plate

Check non stock types like mcleodracing that sell several different designs and also has better master and slaves.

While drivetrain is out

1. also replace the pilot bearing
2. the bearing around driveshaft that fits inside the drivetube and check the U joints
3. flush and replace fluids for tranny and rear end
4. extend the slave bleeder with a hose so that it is remote into engine bay so now you can bleed and replace clutch fluid without even jacking the car up

As to flywheels keep in mind the lighter you choose the harder it is to get the mass of the car moving from a dead stop which also put more heat and load on to the clutch
Aluminum type would be lighter then steel one but also can buy even lighter which will spool up/down RPMs faster but again will be at cost of getting car moving in stop/go traffic

Consider a duel clutch disks and what they are made of

With drivetrain out you might want to look close to all mounting points, bushings, for tranny. rear end, A-arms, swaybar. etc and replace those that look degraded.
Would be a good at that time to also do any exhaust changes.

If your doing all the work make sure you measure placement of drivetube mounting points before taking drivetrain out and then measure again when installing to be sure drivetube is aliened correctly
as if not you will have off balanced drivetrain and lots of vibration issues

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your extensive reply Mike!
I'll do some more homework...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Normally flywheel replacement is not required. But if the flywheel has also worn out then you may need to replace. The exact condition can be known only after you remove the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts