Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I made it to Florida safe and sound. Thanks to all of you who inspired me to drive! I only saw 5 Corvettes on the road the whole way and made a new friend as I entered Florida. His name is Tommy, and he is the proud NEWEST "Z" owner! He just bought his 2004 Z06 with 300 miles on it in Alabama two days ago. We pulled off and talked for an hour and I congratulated him on behalf of the Z06 Forum. We look forward to having him aboard.

Now, to my dilemma.... As I drove in to Florida, I heard a grinding noise or what sounded like a bag or cardboard box being dragged up underneath the car. When I down shifted from 6th to 5th, it got louder. I pulled off and let it idle in quiet area. It was grinding when at idle. When I pushed teh clutch pedal in, it went away about two seconds later. When I let the clutch pedal out, the noise came back. A grinding, sounding like something was loose, being grounded in the housing. So, after a while of driving easy, it goes away. Then it came back. Then, it went away again. So, what do I do? I am 2000 miles from home. I spoke with Tom at Carolina Clutch and says he will get me good deal on an entire assembly, dual friction, aluminum flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, master cylinder, slave cylinder, release bearing, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and external bleeder for .......Ummmm........$1368. Now, I know I shouldn't be posting numbers, but I need to know like ASAP if this is a great deal. He says that A & A deals with him often. I will call Andy in a few....Any suggestions folks? Florida Corvette owners, in Tampa area, Sarasota area...Anyone hear of Corvette Concepts? Are they good? Thats who I was referred to, in Sarasota. PLEASE HELP. G

pm me for telephone help. Thanks-

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why are you considering a clutch replacement?
Sounds like something is loose in the housing and me thinks it may be a bolt that came loose.
Have you had a competent mechanic look to see what the noise is being caused by?
There is a great deal of profit to be made if they can convince you that you need a total replacement.
MHO

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here, in Florida, I have already lost faith in "competent" mechanics, especially here in Inverness. One Chevy dealer, they said their best mechanics left...and his assistnace when helping me was less than favorable. Reminded me of the studdering lawyer in "My Cousin Vinny" He took forever to give me answers so I walked right next door to the next service rep.....HE referred me to another dealership himself. NOT Theirs. "Down the road" he says. That dealership asked "What year is your Corvette?" I said a 2000 fixed roof coupe. They said, "Thats a 5 Speed, right" Ummm..I was thinking FORGET IT! So, I was referred to another place in Orland now, but a reuptable tuner in CALIFORNIA.....I Know it may be something small, but for the labor rate to tear into it, I may as well go ahead and replace it NOW for future mods anyway. This way, I know it is safe.....It may be ridiculous to do this, but....Why shell out $300 - $400 for "nothing"? I dont know....what do you think?

·
Registered
308 Posts
$300 or $400 for nothing? You figure they will find nothing?
Atleast have the thing looked at before you commit to a complete change out.
It could be something as simple as a rock or as complex as a spring coming loose and making the noise.
I'd atleast have it inspected and keep a close watch on the Mech doing the work. They make their money doing repairs and the dealership or shop makes theirs from labor and parts.
Let the buyer be ware.
MHO
Your call on the need for a new clutch for future mods.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Contact Greg at Anti-Venom. They are in your area and a board sponser here.

(813) 661-9000

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg is awesome....And, he said he woul ddo it on a Sunday, if need be! I will wait on my parts and call him back...Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
When the clutch pedal is out, the pressure plate has the clutch clamped to the flywheel. The assembly is locked up solid and turns as a unit. A noise that comes on when the pedal is out, and goes away when the pedal is in is usually either due to a bad throwout bearing or a bad bearing in the torque tube or transmission.

Replacing the entire clutch assembly is an unecessary expense, at least until you've checked these other things.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RocketSled said:
When the clutch pedal is out, the pressure plate has the clutch clamped to the flywheel. The assembly is locked up solid and turns as a unit. A noise that comes on when the pedal is out, and goes away when the pedal is in is usually either due to a bad throwout bearing or a bad bearing in the torque tube or transmission.

Replacing the entire clutch assembly is an unecessary expense, at least until you've checked these other things.
Ummm.....Now you got me wondering.....How much is that stuff going to run me? And, if it is a torque tube bearing is that a little easier on driving that a bad clutch? In theory? I will bring this up to Greg......Thanks-

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spoke with Greg...says he has torque tube bearings in stock and prepared if need be......Huah!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
0900 Sunday morning at Antivenom's! It will be great to meet Greg and hopefully FRC Tom out of Clearwater. Ok, so not the best of all trips forking out $2 Grand on a clutch package, but worth every bit meeting some of the crew. :usa:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
0900 Sunday morning at Antivenom's! It will be great to meet Greg and hopefully FRC Tom out of Clearwater. Ok, so not the best of all trips forking out $2 Grand on a clutch package, but worth every bit meeting some of the crew. :usa:
They are some of the BEST!!! :yeadog: :z:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am looking forward to meeting them.....I have heard some great things as well. Hopefully, there are no superchargers laying around looking for a "home".

Maybe a heads and cam will do? Hmmmmm.....Especially since I hear there may be an exhaust contest at the fest.....Can't come out with a whisper.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
I am looking forward to meeting them.....I have heard some great things as well. Hopefully, there are no superchargers laying around looking for a "home".

Maybe a heads and cam will do? Hmmmmm.....Especially since I hear there may be an exhaust contest at the fest.....Can't come out with a whisper.
So you are coming? Looking forward to meeting you! :yeadog: :thumb:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok Folks, this is it.....Greg met me at Antivenon right on time and my car was in the shop about 5 minutes later. A very friendly and personable guy who obviously knows what he is doing. Step one was to inspect the parts to ensure they were all there. CHECK. Second, was to strip the car down to get at the clutch................piece by piece........hours later.................CHECK. Third was to install clutch and put back together......................hours later...........................CHECK. Ok, so we had some difficuly realigning the drive shaft back into the clutch housing. But, we got it and moved on. I can honestly say that it looked like a very difficult task at hand, but.....I do know more now than I ever did about a clutch replacement in a Corvette. Of course, it wasn't all business. I got to know Greg for who Greg is, and with cameo appearances from some of Greg's friend's....we blew off a little steam from the task at hand. Hahahahahahaha....An inside joke but you had to BE THERE to know. Hahahahahahahaha..... :rofl: Well folks, I also have two days to consider a heads & cam install before I head back to AZ or better, before I head to the fest. I have to check finances but if anyone has had a heads/cam install at Antivenon, please chime in......Oh, the clutch is not a lady charmer. Its not fo the weak at heart and I did stall it 3 times in the parking lot getting used to its play. The pressure required to engage the clutch is hefty. But, its solid! I am happy.....Now I have to decide on the H/C package..... :roll:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
That is one awsome looking clutch Tom sold you.
You just need some HP to spin that al. flywheel.
I told you it was going to be a heavy pedal. :cool:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it is heavy Tom, and being an aluminum flywheel, it actually does feel like the acceleration is quicker. Almost like having more horses at the rear. Now, if I only had some more REAL HP...... :cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts