Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then when accelerating hard, and shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, I end up with the clutch pedal stuck on the floor. I,ve only had it happen on aggresive driving. Never just cruising around. It's tough just to cruise around in this car.

Awhile back I read a post or two about the same problem. Is there a fix without removing the drivetrain and everything else that might not find its way back to where it should be? I sure hate to take this baby to the dealer. Is there a easy fix?

Thanks

Buddy

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
HZO61
I'm gonna hope C4C5 jumps in he's the man,
I have read those posts and seem to remember an easy dealer Fix........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Mine has also done that on spirited driving. I've been told it could be a worn out clutch or a sticking slave cylinder. I haven't tried to get it fixed yet because I haven't had it happen yet while on a road course. I am waiting until the '02 clutch is in the parts system.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It could even be air in the slave cylinder, I have heard this has happened to people at the track. C4C5 any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Rippied.Z06

Mine only sticks during " spirited driving" and just when I need to make that next shift.

I'll be checking into the 2002 clutch. Thanks /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
So what happens if you try to shift with the pedal on the floor ... no clutch disengagement /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif ... that could be scary!

It could be related to the centripical force in the clutch under high RPMs. I wonder if the new clutch design for 2002 is to prevent something like this?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Well, I am suspecting a sticky slave cylinder as if this sticks, your pedal will NOT return because there is no force to return it.
As for that issue, I have done a couple, and they have been mostly due to lack of lubricant on the slave cylinder support housing. As they heat up from strong driving, it begins to bind.
Just a thought, c4c5

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
c4c5, maybe you should clarify this issue, this condition would cause the clutch to remain in a disengaged state correct?

A clutch that remains in engaged state and cannot be removed could be very serious and grounds for recall(?).

JC

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there NC4,
Yes, this would cause a DISENGAGED clutch, meaning that you could not further move the vehicle, just coast to a stop, as the engine just revs.
I have never heard of one going to the floor and staying on, so you could NOT shift.
This is a good point, and I would ask the poster to clarify this issue.
Best , c4c5

·
Registered
1 Posts
THE PRESSURE PLATES IN THE 2001 HAVE LESS LOAD PRESSURE THAN 2002.A DIAPHRAM PRESSURE PLATE WILL STICK TO THE FLOOR AT HIGH RPMS .ONCE RPMS DROP THE PEADLE RETURNS AND EVERTHING GOES BACK TO NORMAL.THIS SHOULD BE A WARRANTY ISSUE.THEY ADRESS THE EXTRA LOAD PRESSURE IN THE 2002 IMFO SEC.THEY DID IT FOR EXTRA HP BUT RPMS HAVE AS BAD EFFECT TO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help.

Sometimes during hard acceleration, the clutch pedal will stay on the floor and the shifter will not move. I've acturally put my toe under the pedal and moved it up. It's a pain, especially on the on ramps. You're getting on it pretty good and then kinda get hung out until the pedal returns. It seems to stick more often as temps increase.

The dealer said he would check for any service bulletins and get back...haven't heard a word yet.

Thanks again,
Buddy

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there again.,
Well, I would lean toward the slave cylinder. Ihave checked for preliminary documents, nothing found.
However, you should ask if your dealer has called technical assistance..
I am sure that you will be served well.
Please keep us posted, c4c5

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Tack a look at the flued in the clutch resoivor. Is it turning dark? Mine was and also had bits of junk in it. I pulled the flued out with a turkey bastor(syringe)and have changed it out a couple of times. No more sticking problems and shifting and gear engagement seem a bit better also. Ric

·
Registered
201 Posts
N4C5S said:
c4c5, maybe you should clarify this issue, this condition would cause the clutch to remain in a disengaged state correct?

A clutch that remains in engaged state and cannot be removed could be very serious and grounds for recall(?).

JC
This just happened to me this morning!

Never driven the car hard, never tracked it, only 3,200 miles (drove it home from Alabama to Washington after NO ONE could apparently find time to deliver it...) and started it up for work this morning, backed out of the garage, got out to the main street and the clutch pedal went to the floor and the car stalled.

It is fully engaged, and you can only shift when the engine is off. I managed to get the car started in 1st and limped my way back to my garage where it's parked now.

The fluid in the reservoir is at the correct height, the fluid is clear and appears clean, and there is no fluid on the floor. The only electrical change made since the last time the car worked properly is the !CAGS plug, which should have no bearing on whether or not the clutch disengages (or doesn't).

Still trying to figure out what the heck is going on. This is NOT something I expected from a car I've only had a week and a half.

Edit: Should mention that this is an '02... so the problem (as I'm now reading) has NOT been resolved.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Jim, I think you have a completely different problem. The problem described in this Topic doesn't disable the clutch, it just leaves a sticky pedal that can be pulled up with your foot and shifting with the clutch is still possible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I thought the symptoms were similar... clutch sticks (at the floor), has to be pulled back up with your foot, but it doesn't disengage the clutch *ever*. :)

Leave it to me to find a new problem without even trying.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Mine is still doing it.
So far they have replaced the flywheel and clutch assembly.
2nd try the master and slave cylinders.
This time they are replacing the hydraulic system.:roll:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Just a thought cause this used to happen in my Z28. While I drove hard I noticed that I would slam the clutch pedal down harder getting it stuck behind the floor mat!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts