Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Just bought a 2003 Z06 (Electron blue) with 6,900 miles from a local dealer for $39,000 (felt like it was a good buy?). I took it out today for for a shakedown run on my favorite twisties and after about an hour drive or so, if I'm at a light in neutral, I hear a rattle noise coming from under the car about 3/4 ways back. If I put in the clutch pedal, the noise goes away. I'm thinking throwout bearing? It only does it after a long ride. The engine also idles a little rough, assume it is normal because of the cam? I must admit I'm a little disappointed with the power, thought 405 hp was rear wheel horsepower...is this at the flywheel?

·
Registered
126 Posts
First off, congratulations on your purchase (post some pics when you get some). Second, there will be many that can and will answer your questions. The sound you are experiencing I believe is normal, just the nature of the beast. The 405 HP figure is flywheel. Your RWHP is probably somewhere around 350-355, give or take a few horses.

You'll also notice sitting at a stoplight, the car will rock back and forth. That too is completely normal, she is just waiting for the light to turn green and for you to bury your right foot.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Welcome. What you describe as clutch rattle in neutral seems to be the norm. At bit of rough idle goes with the territory. Do a search for more info.

I'm a little disappointed with the power
How much power are you used to?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey whats up. The shake at idle is normal. 405hp is at the flywheel & the noise I'm not sure but probably clutch related. Mine would rattle like crazy when I first started the car but then go away.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
Welcome. What you describe as clutch rattle in neutral seems to be the norm. At bit of rough idle goes with the territory. Do a search for more info.

How much power are you used to?

Are you for real, Give me a Break :drunken:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the comments....I had an 83 Porsche 911 and this Vette is awesome--no comparison. The power..well, I had a 55 Chevy with a built 65 Vette 396 in it, probably pushing about 500 hp...so you know, once speed is in your blood, you can never have too much. Wife says don't tinker with this one, but hey a sneaky pete nitrous system installed in the middle of the night while she is sleeping will do!!!! :) Thanks for the clutch answer...and the rough idle....I'll take it!!! Thanks again guys!

firsttimevette

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and
welcome to best vette forum :z:
Enjoy the ride! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats, I just bought mine in January.

Put your car in competition mode and then get on it a few times. I think you will find your 405 hp will be more than you realized. I love the idle shake, and my tranny doesn't rattle at all, although I know it's common.

Tim
03 EB stock, but not forever:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts