Corvette Z06 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
10,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
marlowchris said:
Weird. All the slaves that I have ever ordered always have the braided line already attached. Who did you order the slave from? Did you specify the 02+ Z06 slave? Just curious.

PM sent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just finished mine on Jackstands.

It is very doable, but ensure you have help to keep the trans/torquetube level and help align it to install. At LEAST 2 people to be safe.

Also a huge help was a angle finder tool that I used to measure the angle of the oil pan and set the trans/torque tube to the matching angle(measured on the flat of the torque tube). The splines on the torque tube went right in with virtually no effort and just a little push.

Biggest problems with the Jackstands are:

Supporting the car in the right places - Use the rear shipping slots to support the rear of the car and keep it balanced correctly with or without the transmission/torque tube weight.

Car is too low to remove transmission/torquetube easily - Ensure it is high enough off the ground for transmission removal clearance.

Car is too high to reach the transmission assembly - Ensure your floorjack has enough height to reach the transmisson assembly and support it. 2 Jacks will be necessary for the crossmember and trans/torque tube removal seperately.

Finding the right place to support the trans/torque tube assembly - Support them where the case of the transmission seperates for rebuilding, not at the torque tube/trans junction. This also leaves enough room to put a second jack under the crossmember for removal(crossmember, spindles, lower control arms can all be removed in one piece)

Note: Balancing the trans/torque tube and keeping it level can be tough so after crossmember removal a 1 x 2 board can be drilled and bolted to differential to give you or your friends handles. This helps alot for installation. :) Once the torque tube is bolted to the engine again the wood piece can be removed for crossmember installation.

Note: Odd sized sockets in 18mm and 32mm (various suspension bolts and spindle bolts) are needed. Some bolts are torqued to 160+ ft. lbs. so ensure your torque wrench is capable.

Overall time for removal was about 3 hours doing it all myself with the exception of an assist to keep the trans level during lowering out of the car.

It seems that everyone does this differently and has their own tricks that work for them. Please be careful and use your best judgement if doing this yourself.

F

·
0 Posts
The book calls for an 11 hour job according to the local shops..is this time normal or can it be done in considerable less time ? That puts labor at just over $600.00

F

·
0 Posts
Well tom, May hats off to you...thats an amazing time..I guess after 3 times your pretty proficient at it..I hope to be as well. I just wish The c5 was designed to replace things alot easier..I imagine the c6 is probably similar isnt it ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
The clutch replacement is pretty much the same in the C5/C6..a lot more work than doing the same on a F body car.. Tom is "the man" I remember when he did his in the Vette Museum parking lot a few years back... he amazed a bunch of folks with that on jack stands thrash..:thumb:..if you ever partake in the hot rod magazine power tour you will see all kinds of cars being thrashed in various ways in parking lots..you gotta do what ya gotta do when your on the road..:yeadog:

·
Registered
68 Posts
So the axles just pop out with a hard yank? We got to this point lastnight and we wondered if the boot needed removed. But all the DIY pics show the boot still in-tact. It seems to make a "bottoming out" noise and stops at a point. Just yank harder?:D

Steve

·
10,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I updated the thread and relinked the pictures that were boken during the database corruption. I also added a few that are new.

·
Registered
451 Posts
wow you guys make it easy for me to justify why i paid someone to do it
!

·
10,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
wow you guys make it easy for me to justify why i paid someone to do it
!
But you don't get the satisfaction of having done it yourself and the intimate knowledge of your car. It only gets interesting when you put it together and you have parts left over...:lol: :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just finished my clutch install on jack stand and ramps in my garage. Take your time. I used the pilot bearing that came with the spec clutch. The face is flat not tapered like the gm version. I spent 8 hrs trying to get everything lined up. Was within half an inch, but would not slide together flush. Yanked the PP and clutch back out pulled the pilot bearing out and replaced with one from gm. Took off the shifter base from torque tube assebmly and everything went in perfect. Rent the blind bearing puller set and the bearing installer from autozone.

·
10,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My hat is off to you 95formula. Having done this on a two post lift I know the pain the butt you had in doing it on jack stands and a floor creeper. :yeadog: salute :mug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi guys,http://www.z06vette.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

As you are clutch experts in this thread, please give me your opinion:

I own a 08 Z06 since half a year, and since the beginning, I have the impression that after
- more or less intensive use in city traffic incl. stop and go
- when the engine oil temp is above 180

the clutch precision is getting worse. It is like a grabbing clutch.
(I am German, I hope my expressions are correctly chosen).
I need more RPM to maneuver the car. The clutch does not engage/disengage precisely.

There is also some low rev rattling of the gearbox.

My dealer responded that these effects would be due to the "heavy duty" concept of gearbox and clutch.

I am not so sure - is this Corvette specific or is there a problem?

Please help
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Mirko

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading the above I'm glad I went the least manly way. Proactively replaced the clutch and the flywheel while the motor was being replaced. I don't regret it even though my friends brother in law after looking over the used parts pronounced them to be in real good condition, that with a 100k on them.
Guess now I should start taking the car to the track.

·
10,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Well my flywheel was damaged by my last starter which I have replaced. When I tried to crank with the new starter just heard that bad noise. So it looks like I will have to replace my flywheel except this time I will have to do it from jack stands instead of a two post lift :sad: At least I have done it before and know how big a pain in the ass it is going to be especially doing it by myself this time. I went to Harbor Freight this weekend to get the tools I did not personally own (transmission jack, tall jack stands, air powered ball joint splitter etc). :eek2:

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Eww, yikes. When are you going to do this Panzer?? If at all possible, I might be able to "get out West" :yeadog: to lend a hand.....
During the week would be tough though....

Well my flywheel was damaged by my last starter which I have replaced. When I tried to crank with the new starter just heard that bad noise. So it looks like I will have to replace my flywheel except this time I will have to do it from jack stands instead of a two post lift :sad: At least I have done it before and know have big a pain in the ass it is going to be especially doing it by myself this time. I went to Harbor Freight this weekend to get the tools I did not personally own (transmission jack, tall jack stands, air powered ball joint splitter etc). :eek2:

·
10,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Eww, yikes. When are you going to do this Panzer?? If at all possible, I might be able to "get out West" :yeadog: to lend a hand.....
During the week would be tough though....
Thanks Mike I have been tied up and have not started maybe this weekend. I don't think I need help taking it apart but I will need some help when I put the torque tube/transaxle back together. As mentioned above it really is a two person job. When I get it apart I will look at the clutch and see if I want to replace that while it is apart. It has been five years so I guess it was only a matter of time anyways. When I get to the point of putting it back together I will let you know if you are still interested. I just have to drive my Mustang awhile longer. I miss my Z06 like you would not believe.

:sad:

41 - 60 of 72 Posts