Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Quicksilver/Red Z06 with 29,000 miles on it. In January the check engine light came on. Quick trip to Bill Estes (dealer) they replaced the clutch sensor under warranty.

Then in April, just before the next scheduled oil change, the engine light comes on again. Again, to the dealer... they say it is the same error code... "Clutch Sensor" but they say nothing is wrong with the clutch sensor and send me on my way with an oil change. (They also mentioned the sensor was reporting 0-35 MPH without a shift.)

Today, only weeks since I last had the car in... the check engine light is back on. I called the dealer and it will be going back for service tonight. They told me the previous two error codes were P0704. Incidently, I have not run past 25 MPH in first since the last time it was in, given the dealer's comments when I was last in.

Has anyone had this? My clutch has gotten louder during this same period. (Sounds like empty pop bottles clunking into eachother when starting from a stop... If you keep enough empty pop bottles on the floor of your passanger seat it is pretty easy to convince yourself that its not the clutch making the noise...)

Also, the door seal above my driver's side door "fell" last evening. Hopefully that is an isolated occurrance...

Anyone had error P0704? What should I ask the dealer to look into?

Thanks for any help.

Craig

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
P0704 is actually the clutch switch. It is the little black box with a button on it that is attached to the firewall in the drivers side footwell (the clutch pedal presses against it). It should have nothing to do with any strange noises from the clutch. All the error code says is that there is something wrong with that circuit (there is either a short somewhere, or the switch is bad). If the switch wasn't working, you shouldn't be able to start your car. I have a feeling there are either other codes, or your dealer is just giving you the brush off (the fact that they are basically telling you they won't fix it sets off a warning to me). If the check engine light is coming on, there is a problem that needs to be fixed and you should accept nothing less. I would take it to a different dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran the codes and...

I checked the codes using the options + fuel x 4 command and the only current code is the P0704 code previously mentioned. It is tagged H & C (Historic and Current?).

Car starts fine and clutch has never been problimatic (except for the recent noise which I believe is just part of owning a vette...)

Still, uncurred error codes tripping the check engine light bother me...

Craig

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Dealer putting in another clutch switch to see if that rectifies the problem. Not too encouraged by the solution because the same thing was done a few months ago...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update 2

Dealer says detailed code reports that there is no use of the clutch 0-23 MPH and reports the vehicle's RPMs at 0 when the vehicle is shifted into 2nd gear.

They are driving it to try and get it to duplicate the code...

Any thoughts?

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts