Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 04 Z with 2000 miles. It is sitting in the garage with a burned out clutch and I have no idea why. I have never dogged the car or even spun the tires. (tires still have nubs)I have excelerated quickly like getting on the freeway but that's it. Yesterday I was going on a onramp and excelerating in 2nd gear about 3500 rpm and shifted to third rpm came back to about 3000 and I was merging into freeway. Then all of a sudden the motor bounced off the rev limiter and the car started slowing down even with the motor at high rpm. I looked out the rear window and saw smoke and I could smell the clutch. I managed to get it home but the clutch is fried. The release is almost at the floor but it is still driveable I think. I need to get to my dealer about 30 miles away. Can I drive it? Or should I get it towed. I can't believe this happened. Any ideas why clutch would just fail? I hope the dealer can give me some ideas. Maybe I should have been dogging the car and this would not have happened.
Is this a common problem with the Z. Damn I am pissed. Anybody know how long the car will be down? I had just had the dealer do my first oil change and I drove it home 30 miles. It sat for a week then I drove it. Since it is only 30 miles from a oil change could the dealer have done something. The clutch was perfect before it went to the dealer. Sorry to rant on but spend 50k for a car to fall apart at 2000 miles sucks.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'd ask the dealer his advise on whether you should drive it there or have it Flat Bedded. Do you think that the dealer could have taken your car for a joy ride? :eek:o:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds like ur dealers got some splanin to do :NoNo:
If u have never dogged ur car.....the first thought would have to be someone at the dealership was having a pretty good time with ur car. But thats not reality.......Sounds like a case of the good old warrenty callin time......IMO

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I would call the dealership and have them pay for the flatbed ! All this should be covered under warraunty ! No this is not normal and the first I've heard of this with this few miles !

Rob

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Call GM roadside assistance and tell them you need a flatbed to the local dealer. Order a clutch bleeder extender from LAPD and have the dealer install that w/ the new clutch. Should be no additional charge for that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx everyone for the thoughts. I don't think the dealer dogged the car. I saw it the entire time and they did not test drive it. Hope to get it on the shop asap.

Thx again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well the dealer came and got the car. The clutch is fried. They say the slave hung up and the clutch was only partially engaging. I am not a big technical car guy. Is this explanation feasible?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
harley said:
Well the dealer came and got the car. The clutch is fried. They say the slave hung up and the clutch was only partially engaging. I am not a big technical car guy. Is this explanation feasible?
Not to me, if that was true the clutch would slip. Anyhow important thing is that you are getting a new one. Ask them if what they are going to replace? :z:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They told me they were going to install a "clutch kit" and I asked what that is. I was told they are replacing the clutch. They have to order the parts and it will be next week before they get them. Then a day to replace the clutch. No car for this beautiful weekend so I guess it time to hop on my Harley.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Its feasable that a slave could get hung up and no release, which would cause slippage. Hell, it might not even be noticable until you're all full power.

Clutch kit probably just means a complete assembly, flywheel, pressure plate, disc, slave, pilot...

give it a few hundred miles to break in, and launch it hard, see if it smells funky afterwards. If not, its probably ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why realign? So I know what to tell them. Or should they know to do it?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
To get to the clutch, you have to drop the rear end/trans/suspension to get to it. It comes out basically as a unit, so no big deal. And it indexes on 4 dowel pins on the frame.

The problem is that there are some tolerances in there. Most dealers will tell you no alignment needed as the subframe indexes to the frame. There is enough play in there, that you need to insist on an alignment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the car has been in the shop for nine days now. Maybe Monday I will get it. The flywheel, pressure plate, disc, slave, pilot have all been replaced and reassembly is in progress. The old clutch is (in the mechanics words) burned to a crisp. They know the car has never been hotrodded (tires till have nubs). Of course he does not know why or how but says everything that could have caused the problem has been replaced. It was sad to see a new car (2000 miles/still smelled new inside) up on the rack with bascially everything underneath removed. At least it all was replaced under warranty. I am sure it will be a rattle trap now and never be the same.

I think I am going to dump the car once I get it back. Can't stand a car that is not reliable.

Anybody want a torch red Z06 with 2203 miles?

·
Registered
390 Posts
whoa there harley man! don't give up on a good car while it's down! my Z has had the tranny rebuilt & clutch replaced & it's still as tight as the day i drove off the showroom.just because you had some problems eary on doesn't mean you got a lemon.hang in there & i'll bet your Z will be just fine. :cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had an 02 Z that had a clutch kit installed to fix the "clutch to the floor" problem that seems never to go away in the forum threads. The dealer did a great job... I felt about the same as you... my car was violated, never to be the same... I got under it after the dealer had it apart and it looked perfect! I did find 1 wire loom connector that wasn't snapped all the way into it's slot... I was amazed @ how well the repair was done, and I'm real picky! I'd get your car back before I made the decision to dump it, Z06 is a great car enjoy it :guiness:

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts