Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was at my local ford dealer for service and noticed on their showroom floor, a COBRA R!!.. had 2,000 miles on it.. sticker $55,000.. dealer markup $25,000.. hahahah.. salesman told me it was the dealership owners former car and how a trans am had tried to race him on the street.. he said he just laughed and easily pulled away from him.. i told the salesman better watch out who you laugh at.. he asked me if i thought i could handle the power of the R.. i said i think so... lol

------------------
Fred
Z06 Quicksilver - 49% ownership, wife 51% :)
GNX #183
'87 GN
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2001

·
Registered
57 Posts
or a radio!!!

------------------
o1 Torch Red ZO6, Vette Doctors pro flo, cags eliminater, column lock bypass

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Cobra R is a joke, it is way overpriced, and the perfomance is typical Mustang ,which is sub-par.

------------------
Dave Zehak
2001 Black ZO6
Best 1/4(so far) 12.5 at 112
"Mods"
B&M Ripper Shifter
RM racing Nitrous(not installed yet)
"Previous Vettes
1985 white Corvette coupe(auto)
1998 Silver Corvette coupe (M-6)
2000 NBM Corvette Coupe (M-6)

·
Registered
280 Posts
it is a joke, and it isn't.
let's not loose sight of the all important "brotherhood of extreme performance vehicles".
of which we are all a part (presumably).
it's a joke due to the limited production and absurd price gouging by dealers.
it's not a joke at all if one looks at what it is.
[which is a 'demonstration' vehicle, from within the cramped bowels of Corporate Fordism. Ford enthusiasts are very lucky that they even made any of em. and yes, there is no aftermarket support, almost none of the R specific parts are available for 'plain' cobra owners to upgrade too... etc etc, it is a very bitter sweet car for the Ford brethren to stomach..
and the warranty is a total joke, LOL]
but...
hey, be glad for your position in the automotive universe, C5er's, Most Especially Z06er's..
it is not "typical mustang, sub par". that is an ignorant statement, Dave, and a lil beneath you.
Mustangs don't compete with Corvettes.
Mustangs are sedans, Corvettes are low slung sports cars.
Cobra Mustangs, in the market segment they are intended for acquit themselves very nicely.
ie, the F body is going away (maybe, now there's talk in GM of a 'stay of execution'), Mustangs have outsold F bodies 2.5, 3, 4, and yes, even almost 5 to 1 in various years, and rightly so, if one compares the build quality.
I am a corvette fan (duh!?), and there are few street legal Mustangs of any stripe that can really compete with me on the road course, driver skill being equal. of course (pun intended), on the road course driver is everything and the iron means much less.
But.... the 4.6 DOHC Mustang Cobras produced from 1996 to the present are *excellent* vehicles, for what they are.
yeah, yeah, their list of faults is long.
and, yeah yeah, they're based on 1979 Fairmont chassis, ok, and plenty more bad stuff.
But, all that notwithstanding, there are Many Mustang Cobras that rock and easily compete with most Corvettes made on the road course. Z06's excepted, of course.

David
a member of the "brotherhood"

and, yeah, I had a 97 SVT Cobra, so sure, it's "affected" my outlook. And I still have a lot of Ford owner performance car friends.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I too had a 96 Mystic Cobra and after 4 Vettes that was the only car I've had that people wanted to me lower my window and ask questions about it...never once about one of my vettes (96 LT4 included). It had 3:73 gears, flowmasters, and K & N and the only problem I had with it was getting traction. If I hooked up I never lost to a WS6 TA or LS1 Camero SS. My LT4 was a little faster but not by much. The only reason I sold it & my LT4 was to get the Z06. If the cobra's get some of their problems solved and get good tires on them they are gone.

------------------
TEXZ06 Torch red Z06 Museum delivery Dec 2000 NCM # 8813

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not an ignorent statement , but a true one, the Cobra R(A.K.A Slobra) performance for the price you pay , is sub-par, and even if the mustang outsold the F-body, the F-body still spanked it in total performance.

------------------
Dave Zehak
2001 Black ZO6
Best 1/4(so far) 12.5 at 112
"Mods"
B&M Ripper Shifter
RM racing Nitrous(not installed yet)
"Previous Vettes
1985 white Corvette coupe(auto)
1998 Silver Corvette coupe (M-6)
2000 NBM Corvette Coupe (M-6)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts