Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Ease software and interface (the one you use with a laptop)
Is there anyone else that has one?
Where in the car does it plug in?
Are you happy with it?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ease scanner

Ripper,

Q: Is there anyone else that has one?
A: I have one, as do many people on this and other lists. The most I have found is on the TeamZR-1 e-mail list. Go to <http://teamzr1.com/main.html> and sign up for their free e-mail list. Then just ask a few quesions. You will find lots of people who are happy to help you tune your PCM.

Q: Where in the car does it plug in?
A: Into the diagnostic link connector under the driver side dash. There is an interface box and cables (included) that connects your laptop to the car.

Q: Are you happy with it?
A: Yes, yes, yes! The only problem is that you have to find a place where you can run at WOT in higher gears to record the data to tune the WOT setting. :)) (This is a *problem*??? It puts lots of smiles on your face!)

HTH, Jim Green
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why can't cant you make WOT runs in lower gears?

·
Registered
141 Posts
lower gears?

You can, but a PCM scanner uses "extra" CPU cycles to do its work. In a C5, there aren't many extra. Measuring say 15 variables, the scanner can only can collect measurments about every 1.5 to 2 seconds. In lower gears you have reved to red-line and shifted before it can get enough samples to form a good average value. In higher gears (and higher speed) the scanner can get 5-10 scans before you shift. So ...

HTH, Jim Green

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Jim,
I have followed these threads w/ great interest......is there ONE place that one can go, to get an edjumacashun on the steps & procedures.......A thru Z, I( at least for/to me) get very confused.........about the HOW's & WHY's.............
This may be a really complex question, and one you prefer not to delve into........but, it sounds as if this is "THE" way to really bringing ponies to the table, that are already there..........
Just somewhat in hiding......I think this deserves a REAL step by step discussion......by someone who KNOWS all the in's & out's..............
What do you guy's think............it may sound more complicated than it is.......which usually is the case.
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
A to Z????

Z06LS6,

I'm not sure how to respond to your question. I am certianly not an "expert" on this topic, but I am learning fast. Let me respond by first pointing out several factors.

First, this is not a cut-and-dried topic because all the needed information is not on the table. Unfortunately, GM does not release the information which would be required to construct an "A to Z" set of instructions. They do not release the source code for their PCM program, and also do not release *details* of the algorithms that this code implements. Thus, guys like you and me must deduce and guess what is really going on in the PCM.

Now different people can honestly deduce different things from the same incomplete set of data. You probably have noticed this already. That doesn't mean that one is smart and the other dumb, it just means that some data is missing, so you must fill in that gap with a guess, and different people can honestly guess different things. Everyone working in this area is on a steep learning curve.

But there may be some light at the end of this tunnel. Up to now all we have had to work with are the engine operating parameters from a scan tool like the EASE, incomplete data released by GM, and some clever guesses. A company called Carputing has just released a program called LS1-Edit which can read out the (binary) code in the PCM, allow one to modify it, and then upload the modified code.

I mention this not because of the possibility of modifying your PCM code (which you certianly will be able to do), but because the downloaded stock GM binary code can then be passed through an un-assembler, which produces rudamentary source code (but without the original symbol table). This source code can then be analysized and the algorithms it impliments deduced. This is called "reverse engineering" and requires a person very familiar with the Motorola 68000 series processors.

The hope is that such analysis of the un-assembled code will yield the detailed information about how the PCM works, and with that, the ability to produce your "A to Z" set of instructions.

But this "pie in the sky by and by" does not help you now. Let me point you toward where I have learned all I presently know about this subject. Over at a web site called "Team-ZR1" there is a guy named John Rovner ("JR"). He is in the automobile engineering business, is a former GM test engineer, and an SAE member. He really knows his stuff about tuning Corvettes. John can be a little caustic at times and has ticked off one or two of the Corvette "forums" by his brutally honest comments, but from my interactions with John, I can say he is a *really nice* guy and very helpful to those who ask. And his brutally honest comments don't bother me at all.

I suggest that you go to the teamzr1.com web site, sign up for the e-mail list, and ask a few questions there. That's what I did. After I got my Ease scanner, John offered to analyze the scans I made, and pointed out to me what tuning I needed to do. He has done this for scores of people. If you live in California, he even offers to help people if they drop by his place.

I know this is not what you wanted, but join the learning curve. Right now we are all learning from each other.

HTH, Jim Green
[email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
ease

Ok............I hope the wave of questions from us dummies doesn't upset Mr. "nice guy":)
Because, I agree with Z06........I would like to start from the beginning! Like for instance, before I start ripping up the dash, what does this "diagnostic link connector" look like?
Not too mention, what does the data mean?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sirtoken,

First, I think "us dummies" is a poor choice of words. The only dummies are those who can't learn. Everyone starts off not knowing much. The only "dumb question" is the question that is *not* asked.

The diagnostic link connector -- in the service manuals it is called the "Data Link Connector" and its use is described under the topic "Data Link Communications". Its location is shown on page 8-167 of the 2001 service manual, volume 3, under "Body and Accessories, Data Link Communications, Component Locator" (this diagram should be located in a similar place in the service manuals for other year models).

The connector is a 16-pin "D" type connector located just under the lower front edge of the kick pannel under the driver's side dash. You don't remove anything from the dash to plug into it. If you slide down into the driver's side foot-well and look up you will see it. It's about 1 1/4 inch wide and 3/8 inch high.

It is illustrated on the next page, page 8-168 of the 2001 service manual -- "Data Link Communications Connector End Views". This diagram shows the pin numbers and a table showing what signals are on which pins. (Have I said that if you don't already have a copy of the service manuals, you should immediately buy one?)

This "Data Link" is a RS-232-C serial port on your PCM (which is a Motorola 68332 based computer). It communicates using the standard RS-232-C protocol. It is equivalent to the RS-232-C serial port on your PC or laptop. In fact, that is what it talks to when you use a scan tool.

As you know, the PCM controls everyting in the LS1/LS6 motor. A scan tool reads out many of the parameters and signals that are being controled. What they all mean is beyond the scope of this thread, but I recomend you go over to <www.teamzr1.com> to the "forum" section and read the many posts there about the PCM data readouts.

As I said in the post above, GM does not release most of the information we would like to know about how the PCM works, so some of the info available is based on deductions from the data that is available.

HTH, Jim Green

1 - 8 of 8 Posts