Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just posting this because my car is still under a 90 day warranty. My service active handling has come on 2x in the past 3 weeks. Then the other night, right after my service active handling came on, the check engine light came on. My mods are a blackwing and borlas. I reset all the codes but I find myself with a delima.

I am worried that I will be out of warranty and still need to get the active handling BS fixed. If it does not STAY on, how is the dealer going to fix it when i cant prove it ever came on?? Example, "well service guy, my service handling light keeps coming on, what do I do?. I dont see no light sir, you dont have a problem here." Everyone is talking about it being a 2000 dollar fix. I dont even use the damn thing. I wish I could just disable it actually. Is that possible??? Sorry for my ignorance here, I am coming from the Cobra world and doing a mod then getting a code is not something I am used to. I have big mods on the horizon (stroker) and this check engine light stuff will get annoying real quick.

#1. Try to get dealer to replace the issue causing Service Active handling light to keep coming on? Or just keep reseting it like others have posted that they do?

#2. Do I need a hand held programmer for the future when I do big mods to keep the check engine light from always coming on??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If the Service Engine light came on a code was issued and stored. There is a record of the codes stored in the PCM. All the technician has to do is access the "codes" to see what the problem is.

Various things can cause a "Service Engine" light to come on, as simple as Oil Life, Oil level, etc.

Bottom line, if you are on a short 90 day warranty, document everything and get it back into the Dealer. Even if it's not reproducable, you have documented it under warranty and if it happens again after 90 days it is still covered by the warranty.

The Service Active Handling could be a bad wheel speed sensor or the wheel position sensor....again the sensor that is emitting the warning is also storing a code in the BCM which is accessable.

BTW Did you just install the Blackwing & Borla's ? If so, did you do an Idle ReLearn Procedure ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the response. Idle relearn. Umm no. Rookie I know. But It did throw a couple codes and I just reset it. If you could link me to that procedure I would appreciate it. Also, it is going into the shop on thursday to have the rear diff seals replaced under warranty. I did tell him about the Service active handling thing. But I told him I have been unable to replicate in on command. Which he did ask me. I will tell him to note it in the computer and hopefully that should be good enough.

Im not bashing this car in the least...the thing is badass and a hell of a lot funner to drive then my cobra. I just want to learn the little things that make her tick.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The PCM in the car is in a continuous relearn loop. Ie. It senses and analyses many different data points on the car and also driver input.

Whenever a new device or mod is placed on the car such as an air cleaner element the PCM will begin to adjust for it to offer best performance and most efficient performance. It takes over 100 miles of driving for the PCM to make the adjustments.

However you can speed up the PCM's relearn by forcing an Idle ReLearn Procedure. This does 90% of the PCM update in 5 minutes and the total relearn will then be complete in less than 50 miles. The car will run much better and throw less codes.

Do a "Search" above and you will find the steps required. It's also in the Service Manual (not the Owner's Manual).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts