Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm interested in finding sources for coilover kits for my C5 FRC. The car is used for open track and autocross events at a variety of venues.

I've had an order in with LG Motorsports for their Bilstein setup since February which I have yet to receive. They originally quoted me 7-10 working days to ship, but have been giving me the run around since then. They've never had the courtesy to call with the the status of my order and to make matters worse, they charged my credit card on 2/28/05. It looks like I'm going to have to cancel the order and go with another vendor since I've already missed two events because of the delay.

I'm leaning toward a set of Penske's but will consider other brands.

I'm aware of Mallett and DRM. Are there any other vendors I should consider?

Thanks,

Alan Chavis

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Try Guy Ankeny, tho his setup is mostly for autox. I think its ankeyracing.com

I know there is a JRZ setup out there that is cheaper to outfit with coilovers (than the penske setup) as it has the threaded body already. But no idea where to get it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why is it you want to go to coilovers anyway? I'm really just curious.
Tony #54

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the flexibility that coilovers provide. They make it relatively easy to change spring rates, and offer more adjustability for ride height and corner weights.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Alan Chavis

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Both LG Motorsports and DRM have a base unit coil over set up that uses a non-adjustable shock for the C5/C6. This allow only an initial spring rate selection and static ride heiight adjustments. I recommend using at least a Double Adjustable shock in the coil over set up. (Triple and Quad adjustable shocks are available.) This allows tuning the Bump and Rebound as well and allows for tuning the car for specific tracks, conditions and is especially useful on dual purpose cars that switch from street to AutoX and to track events. Both LG & DRM can build a system around DA's

Shocks I would consider are Penske DA's Penske TA's, JRZ & Moton.
I prefer the Penske's

mgarfias is incorrect. The JRZ's & Moton's are more expensive and sometimes harder to get parts for and service. The Penske DA's & TA's can be used without coil overs and come WITH a threaded body so they CAN be converted easily. (The non adjustable Penskes do not have threaded bodies - but you don't want these anyway).

You can get a Penske Coil Over from Mallett, Ankeny or directly from Penske Shocks. Penske also has a Third Spring active suspension which is also adaptable.

Spring choices are either Hyperco or Eibach. Hyperco has the best spring collar mount and I recommend them.

I am currently R&Ding Titanium spring coil overs to work with the Penskes. They will be available for the C6 Z06.

As a preview, our C6 Z06 suspension options will consist of:
- Penske DA's or TA's with Titanium shafts
- Titanium Spring Coil Overs & Hyperco spring mounts,
- Pre Load spring option,
- Third Spring active suspension option,
- Poly Graphite Bushings or Sperical Bearings,
- F1 derived Carbon Fiber A-Arms (possibly adjustable),
- F1 derived Carbon Fiber Steering Rod,
- Spherical Bearing Steering Rod end.
- Titanium Sway Bar
- CNC Billet Aluminum upright/hub carrier with custom spindel location,
- NASCAR Aluminum or Magnesium Hub,
- Titanium Wheel Studs and Nuts,
- Titanium Rotors,
- Light weight Calipers,
- Magnesium center/Carbon Fiber barrel Wheels,
- quicker ratio steering.

The goal is to impprove suspension geometry, develop a more responsive suspension and reduce each corner's unsprung and rotating mass by 70#'s.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DJWorm,

When I initially ordered the shocks from LG, I was told that the Bilsteins are the only shocks they offer, even though their web site says otherwise.

I'm leaning towards the Penske 8100s. I talked with Aaron at Penske and he said they provide the shocks with the coilover hardware so that I would just need to buy springs.

I spoke with Chuck Mallett and he stated that the lower rear mounting location was not ideal and that they normally weld a new bracket to the control arm. I'm trying to decide if it is worth paying more for the Mallett kit vs. going direct to Penske.

Do you have any recommendations for initial spring rates?

The car is basically a stock 2000 FRC and will eventually have at least a 4-point bar in it and a few minor engine bolt ons. I've installed VP&P bushings in the control arms and will be running last year's C5R program slicks (which have camber built into them) on a set of CCW track wheels.

I'd like to buy several sets of springs so I can have some flexibility to experiment.

Thanks,

Alan Chavis

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
DJ -
I was simply passing on information from someone that went with JRZ as the Penskes cost more when the coil over gear was added.

Personally, I'd want to keep my money in the US, so I'd go with penske.

Anyone have a shot of mallet's modified lower arm? I've felt that the rear shock mounting locations on the C5 have the an awfully progressive setup to them. Would be nice to get rid of that and have a more linear rate. Of course if they bring the lower mount more inboard, you need a heavier spring rate to get the same wheel rates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts