Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first road trip in the 06 New Years Day from Jax to Gainsville and back. The weather in NE Florida has finally cooled off and I must say that although us Floridians don't have to store our rides in the winter, we don't always have the benefit of that cold, dense, northern air. During this spirited romp through the back roads I think my computer has finally dialed itself in to my T1 system. I never had trouble keeping the tail end planted before but on this day, it felt like I grew a 9th cylinder. Power burns were simply a matter of mashing the throttle from around 3500 rpm in any of the first 3 gears. These cars really should be illegal. Good thing for us.......they're not!!!!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Next Time....

....drive down to Dayton and get some of that 100 octane fuel at the Union 76 statioin there!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Next Time....

DJWorm said:
....drive down to Dayton and get some of that 100 octane fuel at the Union 76 statioin there!!
Dayton or Daytona?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will have to drive down and get a tank full before I dyno this month. How much is that stuff?

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Sunoco

GT100 racing gas cost me $3.80 a gallon. Cost $43.00 to fill up, but what a difference! :bang: :crazy:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
While I'm not a Z06 owner, I will comment that cold weather makes my FRC run quite a bit better! :cheers:

That is the only reason I can figure for living in cold weather areas!:( :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care,

Dan

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:eek: I had my 02 EB Z06 out this Tuesday (figured since I stayed home New Years Eve, I would be the only one out on the roads that morning) and it was cold, 12 degrees and the car did HAUL ASS is 1-4! It was getting some tire in 4th and in Aug I had a hard time getting tire in 3rd! What a differance:p . Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Was just out on a 30 degree nite. WOW! No problem going sideways in 3rd. I'm too old to love this!!!!!!!!! Oh well...like the man said....old guys need toys TOO!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Going sideways just by meshing the pedal in 3rd? What are you guys driving on, ice? Sorry but something smells fishy here. Even a Viper at sea level doesn't spin just by meshing the pedal in 3rd. Now if you're talking about wheel spin during power shifts or while making an aggressive turn, that's believable.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
beggar said:
Going sideways just by meshing the pedal in 3rd? What are you guys driving on, ice? Sorry but something smells fishy here. Even a Viper at sea level doesn't spin just by meshing the pedal in 3rd. Now if you're talking about wheel spin during power shifts or while making an aggressive turn, that's believable.
Cold air+cold asphalt+cold tires=little traction

1. I never power shift
2. Maybe a slight long sweeping turn when 3rd breaks loose,
3. Nothing aggressive except the rpm
4. Thats why I don't own a Viper:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
0 Posts
beggar said:
Going sideways just by meshing the pedal in 3rd? What are you guys driving on, ice?
Come up here in sub-freezing Missouri and let me give you a ride. Smoking them in 3rd gear just by mashing the peddle is no problem. :yeadog:

The Silver Bullit loves cold air!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Now when I think back I remember even here at 4500 ft 3rd gear at WOT almost broke loose on me while I was changing lanes on a freeway with a rough surface. I think whether or not your tires break loose depends a lot on the road surface as well as the tires and driving style. Obviously any kind of turning under WOT will substantially increase the chance of wheel spin (and a crash) and so will uneven or slippery road surface. Anyway burnouts are for psychos. I prefer my tires to hook up and burry me in the seat.:D

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
beggar said:
. Anyway burnouts are for psychos. I prefer my tires to hook up and burry me in the seat.:D
I never claimed to be sane. Hell, when I was in prison I was a burnout and a psycho.....:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Beggar:

Doesn't it get cold at nite in Nevada? All I can say is that, ok I may have embelished a bit, but going thru the gears in 20 degree weather leaves an awful lot of rubber on the road. No way you can mash 1st, hit second and it's fishtail city, hit 3rd and they're still spinnin.

Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts