Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew....THAT was scary!!! So today I get back to my shop from MTI with a big box containing my new Stingers and a Borla X-pipe. I'm so pumped to install them. I get in the car to pull it into the bay...and what happens???? COLUMN LOCK FAILURE!!! I couldnt believe this was happening. Immediately I get on the phone with Bill Heard Chevy service dept. (it was 5:45pm). I remember my go to guy over there said it could be fixed in like 30-45 minutes so i figured i'd have him pull some strings and knock it out for me real quick. Well, he had just left, and Bill Heard's Vette guy doesn't work on Sats. :cry: So i get all discouraged, ready to go sit on some railroad tracks, and decide to give it another shot. Get into the car, turn the key, nothing...column lock failure! So i was pissed and i kept turning the key off and on and suddenly...the column releases! I was thrilled...I was going to get to install my exhaust!!! So i put the car into 1st and pull it forward...and it dies. Start it again, roll forward, and dies. So i limp it into the bay. I pull up the coulmn lock TSB on my Alldata and learn that upon column lock failure, BCM and PCM kill fuel pressure. So i'm just having a horrible day but it's ok cause at least i get to put my exhaust on. After pulling the car into the bay, i decide to turn it off, arm the alarm, disarm it, and turn the key on again. No failure and the car runs fine! Whew. Needless to say...i installed the exhaust and drove the car home. I dont plan on driving it anywhere except to Bill Heard FIRST thing Monday morning. Lets hope she makes it there!!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Just to be clear... you had the recall performed on your car?? I haven't had it done and I won't be doing it.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
Just to be clear... you had the recall performed on your car?? I haven't had it done and I won't be doing it.
Second that one Alex :NoNo:

Jack

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No...i have NOT done it. I was PLANNING On doing it monday morning, but have spent the last hour researching the issue and am now hell bent on NOT doing the recall. Im going to bypass the stupid column lock and be through with it.

But wait...I havent had the recall...so why did my fuel shut off?????????????????? Now that i think about it..about 2 yrs ago the car had a computer "update" done at the dealer as a "courtesy." Maybe that new programming also included the fuel cut off program. :-?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The "fix" or really the fuel lockout ECU, I believe was first done about a year ago. I don't think they were flashing the ECU 2 years ago.

Very good decision not to get her re-flash.. I've gotten 2 or 3 recall notices to do the re-flash. They all went in the trash!!!

Next time the COLUMN LOCK's-try moving the wheel hard to the right and turn the key. I'm told it works every time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The CLB is the first thing I did to my Z06. In fact I've done it on all of my C5's. If you need some help let me know. I've installed at least 20 of these things. BTW, I'm in Sugar Land also.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
the recall is not a fix.....not even a good band aid.....owners have experienced column lock issues after having the recall performed...

·
Registered
119 Posts
The recall has nothing to do with the column locking. It only insures that the fuel cuts off after it locks so we don't try to drive with it locked. The locking issue is a different problem.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The column lock TSB at least on 6 speeds is much different than the Auto tranny's although it's encompassed in the same number. On the Auto's they remove the column lock and on 6 speeds they make the engine stop running if colunm lock occurs. It's also suppose to have a software change that is suppose to make the column less susceptible to column lock failure. The last part does not seem to be making much if any difference. :cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why are you guys fighting this, it only cost $20 buck or cheaper depending on who you get CB bypass from and it takes longer to jack up the car that to install the bypass. Very easy mod and you won't have to worry about it again. This was the first mod I did to my Z.
After reading some of the horror stories about getting stuck with the CB lock when you least expected from other guys on the forum I did the bypass the first week I owned my Z.
Its an easy fix guys, do it

·
Registered
181 Posts
O.K. I am gonna beat a dead horse here..I had the dealer perform the recall,but since have added mods and computer tuned.I think I will put the by-pass on but can only find one source..corvette store..it is 90$..anyone have another source?
If it is a non supporting vendor..could I get p.m....
Thanks in advance............Dave

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Corvette's of Houston is a lot cheaper :cheers:

Sent ya PM

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you purchase and install GM's bypass, the Harness K, then GM will reimburse you for it as part of the recall fix.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I answered the recall and had it done knowing "all the facts" as we know them. I let my dealer know that from now on they are responsible should something happen and they responded that it was now in their hands. By the way, GM just extended my warranty "way out" for the fuel guage issue for which I have been in 7 times!! I have saved all the paperwork and last time asked my dealer for a printout of my car's "issues".. and they are ALL documented. Personally I agree with all of you on CLB, but first I wanted to hold GM's feet to the fire. :usa:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts