Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am following up to my 5/17/05 post about the column lock. I took my car in this morning for the colum lock recall & for a passenger door lock problem. I had sent the service manager a fax clearly explaining that I wanted the new style cam installed and I did not want the PCM re-programed. He even set me up with a Sat. appt. with a tech that does not mind if you watch while he works.

Prior to this I was seriously thinking about putting the cam in myself. All the other dealers I talked to gave the same standard reply---we have to re-program the PCM and no you can't be in our service area. :NoNo:

The service manager even called me yesterday to let me lnow he had given my fax to the tech and discussed it with him. :)

Today when I went in I actually was taken back to the service area to meet the tech. He had read my fax & he said the cam is for automatics & he is supposed to re-program the PCM on 6-speed cars. He said he did not know of cars that would lock after having the re-call done. I told him there are cars that have locked after the recall was done and then would not start because the fuel was shut off.

He showed me the new style cam & agreed to put it in as the service manager had said. He did say he would have to leave the recall open on my car since he did not re-program.

He was great! He was very careful as if he were working on his own car. I am glad I did not try it my self. He has done many of these and he had trouble getting the tilt lever out and getting the steering wheel off. He even found a problem with the door lock that the other dealership has not done correctly. I was impressed that he always double checked things each step as he put things back together.

This can be a do it your self project but it is not a simple task. You need a special steering wheel puller (a regular one won't work) and you need a special tool to depress a plate to get a c-clip off the steering shaft.

He said (although it is not likely) if the lock motor ever sticks in the locked position it will still throw a code, but you can still drive the car. :)

After my experience today I feel like it is Christmas in June. My colum lock issue is hopefully cured, with no re-program, and I found a great tech in a dealership that was really cool about letting me watch and talked to me about what he was doing. :yeadog:

It is just too bad that they seem to be as hard to find as a needle in a haystack. :mad:
:jammin: :z:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just out of curiosity, considering that the dealer went above and beyond for you, did you tip either the service manager or tech? I've always wondered how many people tip/don't tip at the dealer if they get good service. (and no, i'm not affiliated with any dealer or anything like that, It's just been something I've been curious about for awhile and wonder what other people do).

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gresch said:
Just out of curiosity, considering that the dealer went above and beyond for you, did you tip either the service manager or tech? I've always wondered how many people tip/don't tip at the dealer if they get good service. (and no, i'm not affiliated with any dealer or anything like that, It's just been something I've been curious about for awhile and wonder what other people do).

:cheers:
The answer is yes & no. I did not have any cash with me but I will be going back next week with a couple of tips. :) Also the general manager will be getting a letter from me. No specifics to get anyone in trouble but I will be highly complimenting both the tech and the service manager. :yeadog:

I bet many people don't think about tipping because they are not used to good service at the dealer. :(

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
SO this deale rinstalled the Auto transmission fix for your M6 Z06?

Excellent - maybe I should just drive up there and get my car fixed once and for all.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RC45 said:
SO this deale rinstalled the Auto transmission fix for your M6 Z06?

Excellent - maybe I should just drive up there and get my car fixed once and for all.
They sure did. I would not have believed it if I had not watched the entire time. :guiness:

It did take a little coaxing on my part but it really was pretty painless to get them to do it. :)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
terry schulze said:
They sure did. I would not have believed it if I had not watched the entire time. :guiness:

It did take a little coaxing on my part but it really was pretty painless to get them to do it. :)
OK - road trip time.

I wonder if these folks would want to buy out a dealership in Houston and come show these local yocals what customer service is? ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
terry schulze said:
The answer is yes & no. I did not have any cash with me but I will be going back next week with a couple of tips. :) Also the general manager will be getting a letter from me. No specifics to get anyone in trouble but I will be highly complimenting both the tech and the service manager. :yeadog:

I bet many people don't think about tipping because they are not used to good service at the dealer. :(

That's cool that they did that for you and I commend you for taking the conservative approach and keeping everything on the down low. I could see the brass at GM coming down hard on those guys for what they did.

If anyone encounters something similar in the Houston/Dallas/Austin area, PM me! :sneaky:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts