Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Have you had the steering column lock issue?

• Yes, column stayed locked after startup

Votes: 72 15.2%
  • Yes, column locked while moving or after moving

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • Yes, "Service Column Lock" Message only, wheel did not lock

Votes: 50 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 337 71.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I start up I get the "service column lock" on DIC but the column is not locked. I no longer hear the familiar sound (on shutdown or startup). Guess its off to the dealer, even though the car is manual I may still demand they remove or bypass the mechanism like the A4. Makes me nervous with all the horror stories I've heard. Car is 2003 with 2500 miles, about 4 months old.

So out of curiosity I want to see how many have had the issue and in what way.....

-Dave

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dave

Picked up my 03 in May. To date no DIC messages, no problems.:) Except of course the occasional brake squeal:roll:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
03 EB Z said:
Dave

Picked up my 03 in May. To date no DIC messages, no problems.:) Except of course the occasional brake squeal:roll:

Got mine end of April, today was the first time I saw this message, and its not overly hot or cold here. I can check the fuse but if its blowing the fuse that tells me something is wrong.

Brake squeal here too, has gotten worse, I can deal with that, if it annoys me I'll go to harder pads.

Exhaust jingle too, I can deal with that, and if I get annoyed I'll make the dealer buy me an X pipe.

Steering wheel locking/car stalling at xx MPH, that I can't deal with, not even the possibility.

I just don't like letting the dealer tinker with my car :roll: I may just tell them to give me the A4 bypass (I'm not paying $100 to fix their problem) and doing it myself.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have an 02 with 15k on the odometer. I have gotten the service column lock message and a message to remove the key for ten seconds.
No lock up yet. But I am going to tell the tech. when I take it in for an oil change.

Tony
TZ06

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
MY 03 Z06 said:
Everytime I start up I get the "service column lock" on DIC but the column is not locked. I no longer hear the familiar sound (on shutdown or startup). Guess its off to the dealer, even though the car is manual I may still demand they remove or bypass the mechanism like the A4. Makes me nervous with all the horror stories I've heard. Car is 2003 with 2500 miles, about 4 months old.
While common on the first few years of the C5, this should not be an issue on your car. I would have it looked at.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
3 years of ownership and no column lock issue.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Dave,

I had both situations happen. I had what you now have message but CL stuck in open position for about 9 months. Took to dealer for recall (fix) Dec 2001 and then at the Fest last year it LOCKED in front of the Hampton Inn :( :( Got unstuck by wiggling Steering wheel, Disconnecting battery (thanks Zippy) and everything ok.

BTW I just installed CLB last week because I didn't want the problem again (~$40).

You can DEMAND but it would be against the LAW for a dealer to disconnect/remove like A4's because a anti-theft feature is required and the A4 has transmission lock also.

George

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've had my '02 for about (5) months and have had the column lock problem about (10) times. Only once did the column lock remain on after removing the key and waiting (10) seconds.

The other nine I had to do the Jerk and turn maneuver.

Soon as I get back from the Z06Fest and Fun Fest at MidAmerica it's back to the dealer for a fix (???).

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Black_Magic said:

You can DEMAND but it would be against the LAW for a dealer to disconnect/remove like A4's because a anti-theft feature is required and the A4 has transmission lock also.

George
I know its (stupidly) illegal, but something that could potentially put my life in danger is a much bigger legal risk for them I would think.

-Dave

·
Registered
452 Posts
My car is over a year old and NO problems.
If I get that message it goes rite in for service.... that column lock problem makes me nervous

Rick:cheers:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
CHS20030001 Request for Customer Complaint Vehicle That Has Allegedly Experienced Steering Column Lock Mechanism Engagement During Vehicle Operation - actuator connector diagnosis DCS inoperative #PI01137 - (06/04/2003)
CHS20030001 Request for Customer Complaint Vehicle That Has Allegedly Experienced Steering Column Lock Mechanism Engagement During Vehicle Operation

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

From DCS CHS20030001

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

DATE: January 13,2003

SUBJECT: Request for customer complaint vehicle that has allegedly experienced steering column lock mechanism engagement during vehicle operation.

MODELS: 1997-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

TO: All Chevrolet Dealers

ATTN: Service Manager and Service Advisor

GM Service and Parts Operations is requesting your assistance. We are looking for any 1997-2003 model year Chevrolet Corvette that allegedly has experienced steering column lock engagement during vehicle operation. If you have a customer complaint alleging that the steering column lock engaged during vehicle operation, please submit a Field Product Report (FPR) immediately. See Service Bulletin 02-00-89-002A for FPR instructions.

We are interested in knowing about any Corvette that has allegedly had this occur. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the vehicle not be disturbed once the condition is reported. DO NOT insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition lock cylinder MUST remain in the 'Off' position. The vehicle should be transported via flat bed truck to the dealership and an FPR submitted. GM personnel may wish to visit your dealership to inspect the involved vehicle.

When submitting your FPR please make sure to provide your name, the dealership[rsquo ]s name, location and a telephone number where you can be contacted along with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the subject vehicle and a brief description of its condition.

You will be contacted within 24 hours to advise you how to proceed and of our intention to visit your dealership.

We greatly appreciate your assistance.

END OF MESSAGE

GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Sent by an anonymous source. :D

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
Black_Magic said:
Dave,

I had both situations happen. I had what you now have message but CL stuck in open position for about 9 months. Took to dealer for recall (fix) Dec 2001 and then at the Fest last year it LOCKED in front of the Hampton Inn :( :( Got unstuck by wiggling Steering wheel, Disconnecting battery (thanks Zippy) and everything ok.

BTW I just installed CLB last week because I didn't want the problem again (~$40).

George
Isn't the anti-theft only required by law be present at time of new sale?

Like everything else that is mandated to manufacturers?

·
Registered
432 Posts
try pulling the fuse under the carpet in your pass footwell b4 taking it in. maybe your battery was low at some point. causing the message. simply pull the fuse, replace in a couple seconds and start it up. hopefully you will be message free. worked for me. no problems since :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Interesting that it now includes all years,1997-2003 Chevrolet Corvette .:cheers:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
No issues so far...fingers remain crossed...;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TheKid said:
try pulling the fuse under the carpet in your pass footwell b4 taking it in. maybe your battery was low at some point. causing the message. simply pull the fuse, replace in a couple seconds and start it up. hopefully you will be message free. worked for me. no problems since :)
Yeah I was going to clear out the DTC and pull the fuse, but then I got to thinking, if it is detecting a problem and I clear it out, the mechanism may go back into operation and lock in the engaged posistion (instead of the open position as it is now). Not really wanting to take that risk, with the huge number of problems they've been having I want it replaced or removed.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.