Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My column is locking up AGAIN! :( Just had the recall done 6 months ago. Has anyone else had this problem come back? Why Me? What a week, first I run over a crowbar and ruin my rear wheel and now this. Calgon, take me away. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I still haven't had it fixed the first time under recall, I hate bringin the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My recommnedation - do the steering lock bypass...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Although I don't have one on mine. Sounds like your a candidate for the steering lock bypass. :cheers:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Remember that the recall didn't fix the locking problem. It only shuts off the fuel so you will not try to drive away when it is locked. I'd be looking at a bypass too.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
pflynn said:
Remember that the recall didn't fix the locking problem. It only shuts off the fuel so you will not try to drive away when it is locked. I'd be looking at a bypass too.
:yeadog:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
Where do I get a bypass.
Same question for me too. I been meaning to put a by-pass in and now is probably a good time.

Who sells the best one out there with good installation instructions? If it's not an "approved vendor" then please PM (private message) me and anyone else interested.

Thanks!
:cheers:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
The General's fix is only a bandaid, already tossed 4 recall notices away. Either go with the CLB, or if not giving probs, to other members, leave it alone.

Jack

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just joined the forum,bought my2001 z06 last monday with 6200 on the clock.I'm ue to go in next wedsnday for the recall but i'm all ears for the lockout . If the recall is only making it shut off the fuel than that doesn't really solve the steering problem so i'll be ordering one too.The original owner had the steering lock up on him two years ago and they repaired a wire according to the invoice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The column lock bypass is on ls1howto.com i think this is the link. Edit I took out the link I don't think it is a approved vendor cause they do sell a kit as well as supply instructions. I'll PM thr info.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
My column is locking up AGAIN! :( Just had the recall done 6 months ago. Has anyone else had this problem come back? Why Me? What a week, first I run over a crowbar and ruin my rear wheel and now this. Calgon, take me away. :crazy:

I had the same thing happen to me. I never had a problem with my column before, but when I got the recall I decided I would take it in. Big mistake. Like a week later I'm at my cousin's house and what do you know it locks on me. I had to get my baby towed away. Man was I pissed. :cen: :cen: :cen: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:
You take your car in to supposedly prevent this from happening and it happens. Talk about some :bs: .

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you already had the reprogram/recall fix will the by pass still work??? Also what is the steering wheel trick??? I had the thing lock up on me and man does that sh t piss you off. Let me know if I should do the bypass kit or not. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
If the dealer has done the recall work, then installing the bypass will not work. The recall changes the function of the system, from the steering column to the BCM.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The cool thiing about the bypass is that your steering will never accidentally lock on you because it unlocks the locking pin and tricks the computer into thinking it is still working properly.The downside is that your steering wheel will never lock again so it is disabling part of your security system.I read some where if you are planning to sell your car all safety recalls have to be done so you dont get sued? If it was me I would get the recall done as soon as the "buyer" showed me the money :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok, for the new guy here; I'm understanding from all of the posts on this subject that steering column lock is prone to happen on ALL model year Z06's, right?(i have a 2003). so, in order to be proactive, i need to install a CLB,(i don't want the dealer to touch my car). if this is the case, please let me know.
thanks,
paul

1 - 20 of 25 Posts