Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bonus is coming, so I'm looking for my next round of 'tinkering' upgrade to the Z06. Currently for go fast mods I only have the A&A P1SC Supercharger kit, and an LS1 Dyno tune. I'm looking to do a cam swap and finally install some kooks headers with plans for the future of a forged bottom end and maybe more cubes. Does this look like a good combo? Is there anything that won't work here? Also, do I need the O2 sim's with LS1 edit or cane I just turn off the codes for the loss of O2 input? Is this cam big enough or too big? I don't want too much lope and I'ld like to keep some of the power down low. Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I have the wife all geared up to order this stuff for me. Oh, and will 1.8 rockers be OK with that lift in the cam?

Partiot "Gold" .650" Lift Dual Spring Kit
01-04 Corvette 1 7/8" Headers
Kooks Offroad X Pipe System for 2.5" Catbacks
1997-2004 160* T-Stat
O2 Simulator Pair - OBDII - F-Body
Camshaft - Int -224 Exh - 232 Int - .581 Enh - .595 Lobe sep - 114
(also available camshaft 226 234 .598 .599 117. Would this be better?)
LS1 Non-Adjustable 1.8 Rocker Arms

Thank You
Derrick

·
Registered
171 Posts
What ever camshaft you go to, it needs to be a profile specific to a supercharged engine. The big cam grinders, Crane, Comp, etc, all have "blower" cams.

As for a forged bottom end: if you're going to keep the RPM in the stock range--not a bad idea with a blower--you can live with a stock crankshaft but you need forged pistons with a compression ratio properly suited to your boost level along with a ring configuration intended for supercharged engines.

If your going to buzz this boosted motor past the stock limiter, you need a forged crankshaft and better connecting rods.

As for your calibation and the need for O2S sims: you need to keep the front sensors because the PCM needs them for closed loop. Use sims for the rear sensors if you wish. You also may end-up disabling misfire detection at idle.

If you're going to use an aftermarket camshaft, 1.8 rockers and different pistons you must physically check piston-to-valve clearance. Do not rely on anecdotal evidence that your P/V clearance will be ok.

Lastly, I'd avoid trying to tune the PCM yourself with LS1 Edit, etc. unless you have experience doing engine controls calibration work. If you don't, you're better off using an aftermarket reprogramming service, such as Ron Zimmer's Z-Industries.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts