Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I washed my baby yesterday and put her away for a long winter's rest. I have to admit I was very tempted to try and keep it on the road when the weather was good, but it is just too difficult to wash it when it is below freezing outside - note to self: make sure dream garage of the future has a wash bay :D

Wheels: Very difficult to clean these babies! Brake dust sticks like glue and how the heck do you clean the back side (which shows from the front) without removing the wheels or using a lift - note to self: make sure to order lift in the Spring :D I must admit that I didn't really like the wheels when the Z06 first came out because I thought they were too dull. I probably thought this because the brake dust gets bad quickly and really dulls the wheels.

Paint: I think I got a good one here. I only found 2 very small flaws that are under the clear. One looks like something rubbed against the base coat when it was wet, the other looks like a very small fiber (like a hair or something) got trapped in the base coat. Both are tiny and do not bother me all that much considering this is a silver car and silver metallic is difficult to paint evenly. My metallic base looks very even and there is very little orange peel.

Body: Man, this car hides water everywhere! After thoroughly drying the car I still found water running out from the mirrors, door handles, bsm's etc. hours later. Even the next day, I found a little more water under the tail light lenses etc. Panel fit is very good and all doors etc. close well. Again, I'm quite pleased.

Brake ducts: I noticed that some of the mesh in the brake ducts had a very light coating of rust on them where the wires crossed. This rubbed off easily, but is something I'll need to keep an eye on. Does anyone know how they come off? Anyone else notice this?

Overall, I just love this car :D Why couldn't it be April or May rather than December :-?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mark I use a bottle brush to do the wheels. I do them 1st so the car doesn't dry while I am washing the wheels. Tape the wire so it can't scratch the wheels.

I love the 2 qts of water the trunk well holds.

After I dry mine I use my yard blower to get water out of all the bad spots lights, mirrors, ect. and re dry. It takes an hour unless someone see's you and stops to check it out, you know your friends the kids friends, mailman, UPS guy, the UPS guy from a different route that drove your route so he could see the car his buddy has been talking about.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Feel for you guy's

IF i lived in the frozen tundra......(past OKC!!!!!!):D
I would not OWN a Z...........ain't NO way, to look at it for 2-4 months, and NOT drive it...............no way jose':(

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Re: Feel for you guy's

ZO6LS6 said:
IF i lived in the frozen tundra......(past OKC!!!!!!):D
I would not OWN a Z...........ain't NO way, to look at it for 2-4 months, and NOT drive it...............no way jose':(

Try .......6 months!:puke:

carzzy

·
Registered
631 Posts
Paint mixer stick- cost - free at any paint store - with a small 1 foot square towel wrapped up tightly around it will clean the wheels in a jiffy.

All of the other things are just the fun of owning a Z06.

Wait till you dry and Zaino the entire car, then open the doors to clean off the water on the sills. Close the doors and the darn water comes pouring out of the mirror areas down the doors !:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Zapper said:
Wait till you dry and Zaino the entire car, then open the doors to clean off the water on the sills. Close the doors and the darn water comes pouring out of the mirror areas down the doors !:eek: :eek: :eek:
Exactly. You wash and dry the car, including opening the doors and drying the door sills. You drive the car into the garage, and when you open the door to get out, the sills are covered with water again. Water retention like a camel.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Jerry Velders said:
You wash and dry the car, including opening the doors and drying the door sills. You drive the car into the garage, and when you open the door to get out, the sills are covered with water again. Water retention like a camel.
Ain't it the truth!!! :lol: :lol: AllI can do is keep opening and closing the doors for about 15 minutes! Then wipe off the dry water spots that are 'back' on the sills and frame around the lock with Zaino. "Water retention like a camel" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Air Compressor set at 120 PSI takes care of the water quite well. However, no matter how long i spray the windshiel wipers, water always seem to come out above 90 MPH. Soemtimes a week later :eek:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Zedder said:
Well, I washed my baby yesterday and put her away for a long winter's rest. I have to admit I was very tempted to try and keep it on the road when the weather was good, but it is just too difficult to wash it when it is below freezing outside - note to self: make sure dream garage of the future has a wash bay :D

Living near Chicago, I have the same problem. It is difficult to wash the car when it is below freezing outside. Since I LOVE driving this car all year round and I am not planning on moving for at least a few more years, I am currently trying to make a wash bay in my current 2 car, uninsulated, unheated, drainless, hoseless, poorly lit garage. Some of my friends (and probably many on the forums) think I am nuts but if you are interested, here is my plan:

1) Insulated the garage. Blown in since the walls were up already. Also added Pink styrofome insulation on the inside of the garage door. Makes a big difference. DONE (Cost about $150)
2) Add lights - Lots of them. 10 Fluorescent fixtures (4ft and 8ft cold weather) in a 2 car garage so I can see what I am washing/detailing. (estimated cost of $500 for fixtures)
3) CarPad floor covering - This is a 20 mil thick vinyl floor mat with a 1 inch high border. It will sit under the whole car (9' x 16'). It will catch the wash water. I ordered this custom sized mat for $155.
4) Sprayer - I bought a sprayer usually used for spraying chemicals on plants, decks, etc. I will use it to rinse before and after washing. Holds 2.5 gallons of water. Cost $40.
5) Garage Heater - I can't find an electric heater that has enough power. I don't like any of the portable heaters because the usually require good ventillation (keeping a door or window cracked open). I am planning on getting a natural gas heater with a thermostat installed. (Estimated cost $700 for the heater and the same for installation)

I will also paint the walls with some waterproof white paint. That should do it. It is kind of an experiment for me but I think it will work. Either way, the insulation and lighting are a good investment for the house. I have a hard time giving in to Mother Nature :D .

- Charley

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
To those, like me, who suffer Z withdrawal symptoms during the winter:

delayed gratification enhances the spring driving sensation and makes you appreciate the beast even more.

:D

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Wheels

I have 2001 Chrome
zo6 wheels that I polish and wax. After I wash them of course. The brake dust just comes off really easy. Just a soft sheep skin mitt and a little water and presto they are super clean and shinny. :) :) :) Sorry about the cold weather. It is rainning now in Southern Calif. Should be sunny this week-end. Then its ZO6 time. Big Blue is in the garage all washed and waxed today waiting for nicer weather. Cold here is when it gets down to 43 degrees or so at night. During the day it could get to 73 or so. Used to live in Detroit now that was cold. It was a good place to be born, but no place to live. Of course seems like everybody has immigrated to Calif. and now it is wall to wall people and the freeways are like parking lots in the mornings and the commute home after work. :) :D :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts