Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Auto-Cross – do you select TC & AH OFF or Competitive Mode?

I was talking with someone (very good driver) who selects OFF because he says Competitive Mode slows the car? I’m fairly new to this – seems to me that if your AH takes control it’s better to have the computer assist than to drive by the SOTP.

After all – there isn’t any speed loss if the AH doesn’t kick-in – is there?

I’m looking for comments – thanks.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Most in the know here say comp mode as you have the best of both worlds...you get the rear wheels back from the AH mode but the fronts stay. There are a lot of stories here how AH/TC has saved both Car and Arse....Don't drive hard without Comp or AH on period...best of Luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
i drive with mine off and it works pretty good... if you're going for the fastest time leave it off, if you want extra insurance and don't mind a little interference along with increased brake wear leave it on.

·
Banned
809 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but I feel that comp mode is too intrusive. I think it's best to learn how to drive the car properly in the first place instead of learning to rely on drivers aids. Besides.. The drivers aids only help, they can't perform miracles.

Sal

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you are kind of new to Auto-Cross, then use the Comp Mode and later turn it all off. For Drag Racing ALWAYS use Comp Mode. :cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I run with it off.
I'd be surprised if anyone could claim they go quicker in autocross with it on vs. off...I'm meaning in a real, back to back, controlled test situation, not "I seem to remember/believe/think I go faster with it on" ;)

Track events I can see why people like the peace of mind that the comp mode brings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I turn it off every time I start my car. Never had it before on any other cars, and when it does correct you and you are used to the drift(Z06 ass end does come around very quickly though)it will really throw you for a loop. Just my opinion, but if you get that back end sideways and can control it in a true drift, talk about a bitchin feeling.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A good way to test your limits is to drive with it on and take note every time you set it off. There are advantages to sliding out of a curb but I wouldn't try that anyway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
JoeS said:
For Auto-Cross – do you select TC & AH OFF or Competitive Mode?

I was talking with someone (very good driver) who selects OFF because he says Competitive Mode slows the car? I’m fairly new to this – seems to me that if your AH takes control it’s better to have the computer assist than to drive by the SOTP.

After all – there isn’t any speed loss if the AH doesn’t kick-in – is there?

I’m looking for comments – thanks.
If you are new to auto-x, or road course racing, I would leave the TC/AH at Comp Mode. Since you mentioned that you are new, I doubt you are getting 95% performance out of your car. If you feel you need to wring out that extra 5% performance, then turn the TC/AH off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have ran this test back to back on track events with no noticable time changes. So I would say it has no effect unless you are doing something wierd with your car.

I do however leave it off at the track now, becuase I noticed my brake wear seems higher with it on, especially on the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gentlemen – I thank all of you for your inputs.

As “wiz357” suggested – I’ll stay with the Comp Mode until I get many, many more events under my belt.

I still don't understand how Comp Mode will slow the car if you don't get the car "out-of-wack" and AH never kicks-in.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Having raced many times using both systems, maybe I can shed some light on your question. IM me on AIM; FriskyZ06

·
Registered
131 Posts
JoeS said:
I still don't understand how Comp Mode will slow the car if you don't get the car "out-of-wack" and AH never kicks-in.
In autocross, sometimes it is beneficial to get "out-of-whack", to place the car where you want it at the correct attitude relative to the course :)

Having the flexibility in car control options is a good thing, for autocross.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
All above good input. Not mentioned is speed of event. Most AutoX's I do are "lo speed" and done in 1st and occasionally 2nd gear. For these I'm not worried about throwing the car sideways and thus runn "all off". For anything getting near immovable objects or higher speeds I run Comp mode ... 'caus I'm still learning ... FWIW

·
Registered
350 Posts
JoeS said:
Gentlemen – I thank all of you for your inputs.

As “wiz357” suggested – I’ll stay with the Comp Mode until I get many, many more events under my belt.

I wouldn't :NoNo:. I tell all my students to learn to drive the car with everything off. Since it's an Auto-X and you're there to go fast and LEARN, turn everything off. The electronic gizmos can 'bail' you out of some situations and also teach some very bad habits. To progress as a driver, you must continuously learn about the car, it's limits and yours. Putting it in Comp mode or full AH, numbs your sensations and allows the car to correct for things. Learn to drive the car well and you'll be much faster and a much more competent driver! :jammin:

Also, Comp mode may come on slightly even though you don't feel it and it doesn't display on the DIC. Both Comp and AH use the brakes and engine management to control the car. You will certainly go thru brakes much faster with either system engaged.

Turn them off and learn to drive the car!!!!!

·
Banned
809 Posts
wtknght1 said:
Also, Comp mode may come on slightly even though you don't feel it and it doesn't display on the DIC. Both Comp and AH use the brakes and engine management to control the car. You will certainly go thru brakes much faster with either system engaged.
I found that to be true as well. I sense the AH kicking in quite a bit when it doesn't display in the DIC. You can smell the brake dust even when you haven't applied the brakes.

What I don't like about AH is that if I'm a little loose in a corner and I go to correct it, I can feel the car correcting against my correction. I end up having to fight against the car's correction. It just doesn't feel natural to me and doesn't instill confidence in me.

I could see a novice wanting to leave it in Comp Mode for a DE, but autox? There's not much to hit in an autox and you're not going that fast anyway.

Sal

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
salvador said:
I found that to be true as well. I sense the AH kicking in quite a bit when it doesn't display in the DIC. You can smell the brake dust even when you haven't applied the brakes.

What I don't like about AH is that if I'm a little loose in a corner and I go to correct it, I can feel the car correcting against my correction. I end up having to fight against the car's correction. It just doesn't feel natural to me and doesn't instill confidence in me.

I could see a novice wanting to leave it in Comp Mode for a DE, but autox? There's not much to hit in an autox and you're not going that fast anyway.

Sal
Plenty to hit on this course. Last year a Z06 from Texas was totaled after going off one turn into the trees.

It's a 1.2 mile track with a lot of turns and twists used by the sheriff's department for training (can get into 3rd gear - very briefly - on one of the legs).

But I understand why most comments are for having AH OFF - I'll give it a try - wish me luck.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing for some time now.

I finally tried a run with the Comp mode enabled. This after more than a year of autocrossing my Z06. I have always turned everything off, thinking it would slow me down.
After four runs as usual, I turned Comp mode on for the fifth.
I knocked about two tenths of a second off my last time. What surprised me was I couldn't feel anything. I expected some feedback to tell me it was on.
My sixth and last run, Comp mode off, was .020 slower and felt essentially the same.

I realize this isn't a very scientific test. But I do believe it doesn't slow me down much, if any.

I'll keep playing with it this year.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As you do more and more events and become more skilled (no offense intended), you will find you will be quicker with everything off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
wtknght1 said:
As you do more and more events and become more skilled (no offense intended), you will find you will be quicker with everything off.

I agree. However, for a newbie, I personally think, it would benefit them to have their AH/TC on. When they are pushing their cars to the piont that the AH/TC is "interferring" at every corner, and only if they have enough experience to handle the car on their own, then it's time to turn the switch off. Think of it as an insurance policy while learning the capablities of the Z06.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts