Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I broke the 1K mile point (where I feel break-in is over) I actually looked at my computers average MPG and was surprised to see 23.4 mpg!!!!:eek: I mean a car with this performance getting that kind if mileage is incredable. Anyway, she's broken in and I plan on "lowering" that average a bit,but I wondered if anyone else had this "vison" on their display??? Even my diesel doesn't get this kind of mileage!! Imagine, the Z06 as an economy car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D Bill (real BIG grin)

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is one reason I do not understand what's to brag about
engines that has high specific output...

Sure 360 modena makes 400+hp out of a 3.6 liter V8 (??).. but
it's MPG is in the range of 10-12mpg???? No thanks, and give
me a 5.7liter.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Computer said 22.5 mpg on a 600 mile trip, I did the gas tank fillup thing and figured 24.5 mpg.....I did not push it on the trip.:yeadog:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Just drove Boston to Washington DC on Monday (500 miles) and averaged 26 mpg running between 70-80 most of the way. thouroughly impressed....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Indeed, this has been a hallmark of the Corvette since intro of the ZR-1 twelve years ago. To think the new Z06 makes more hp than several cars costing 1.5 to 2x as much and nearly as much power as a few that cost considerably higher. Many of those cars are gas guzzlers, need frequent, costly scheduled maintenance and a mechanic's nightmare to work on. In contrast, the C5 requires very little scheduled maintenance, if any, for up to a year at a time, and then only for oil and filter changes. Ultra long life Dexcool and spark plugs insure lasting durability and relatively low overhead cost for years after initial purchase. These are the things that we don't hear about very often, but contribute greatly to the extra dollar VALUE of a Corvette. 19 mpg city and 28 highway according to the EPA is INCREDIBLE and the right word for it alright. :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Went from NCM -> CA last year. Got 28 until I got to CA, then the shitty gas dropped it to 25.

Btw, that was average for the trip, included several umm, "fun times", and in NM, I was cruising at 115Mph one night. The next day I left NM, and held 85 across NM, and AZ, slowed down when I got to CA.

Man that was fun.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I routinely get those kind of results on the highway. In the city where I don't let the CAGS engage I get 17.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Travelling across Western Colorado and Utah on I70 at speeds ranging from 90-110 mph I averaged over 24 mpg in my 02 Z06. I found in my ZR1 that I actually got better mileage when I was going 80 than when I was going 60-70. There is this sweet spot in the engine power curve at around 2K rpm when the thing just hums. I am sure that it is the same with the Z06.

My 98 6-speed coupe is the best gas mileage car that I own. I have average almost 30 mpg on trips with extended freeway runs. On the other end of the scale, I enjoy trying to keep the gas mileage in the single digit range in both the Z06 and ZR1. That means I'm driving them hard. ;)

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:cheers: So I didn't hear from the "nay-sayers" that the mighty Z06 is indeed an economy car!:D :D :D :D Isn't life just grand!!!! Bill:lol: :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
70boss302 said:
Now that I broke the 1K mile point (where I feel break-in is over) I actually looked at my computers average MPG and was surprised to see 23.4 mpg!!!!:eek: I mean a car with this performance getting that kind if mileage is incredable. Anyway, she's broken in and I plan on "lowering" that average a bit,but I wondered if anyone else had this "vison" on their display??? Imagine, the Z06 as an economy car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D Bill (real BIG grin)
Apparently my breakin miles have been a little harder. At 870 miles, My '02 has averaged 13.4 mpg. :( :cry: Guess I'd better go out and buy a F*rd Focus so I can get better gas mileage. I didn't buy this car for the "fuel economy". :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
What are scheduled maintenance like for Z06??

For my BMW... I do oil change every 3-5k miles @ 7qts each
change... a small inspection maintenance every 15k miles to
just check out much of fluid levels.. and a big inspection every
30k miles.. to change out the tranny, differential, plugs, A/C
microfilter, air filter and check v-belt....
I omit alot of "not-as-important" stuff...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: Computer MPG

4vettes said:

Apparently my breakin miles have been a little harder. At 870 miles, My '02 has averaged 13.4 mpg. :( :cry: Guess I'd better go out and buy a F*rd Focus so I can get better gas mileage. I didn't buy this car for the "fuel economy". :D
I think your seeing average "pure city" driving MPG. Mine is in the similar ball field of ~15 MPG in 100% city driving. Of course alot of stop and go driving with the stick, and how much you rev the engine between shifts has alot of bearing on your city MPG. On the hiway where you just pop it into 6th gear and cruise at 70~80 MPH for long distances is alittle more predictible in its outcome :D.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Average is 19.2 right now for 1600 miles (Total miles are 8900) The last 3000 have been pure city drivin' in Houston, TX 28 miles back and forth to work. I don't drive like a bat out of hell, but I am not driving Miss Daisy either.

I agree that there is a sweet spot...My ZO6's is somewhere around 80 mph...It likes 120mph pretty good, too.:cheers:

·
Registered
376 Posts
The first 300 miles ,which were highway miles,I was getting 24.9 mpg @ 65-75mph :cool: Around town, with my foot in it is still 19-20 mpg not bad. It loves sunoco ultra 94:guiness: But i have seen the 12-13 mpg range:D :D :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts