Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past several years, I've owned a dozen Porsches and a handful of other European and Japanese performance cars. Some of these have been mildly to heavily modified. In the last year, I've owned an E46 M3, Audi S4, Honda S2000, 996TT, and a modified 3rd generation RX7. They've all been great cars for various reasons.

Until recently I never even considered owning an American car. It's embarrassing to admit (especially on this forum) that I used to look down my nose at virtually all American cars, especially performance cars. That began to change with the introduction of the Z06.

Yet, even after deciding to give a Z06 a try, I didn't feel comfortable with my decision. After all, I was a "foreign car guy." Although the car magazines had pleasant things to say about the Z06, how could it possibly compare to some of the more "exotic" machinery I've driven?

Well, not only does it compare, but my '02 Z06 is one of the most exciting, enjoyable cars I've ever had the pleasure to drive! I look forward to driving it at least as much as anything I've ever owned. The combination of power, handling, braking, comfort, and looks is absolutely unbeatable for anything close to the money. "Bang-for-the-Buck" is an overused expression- but the Z06 must be the undisputed champ in this regard.

No, the Z06 is not a Porsche twin turbo, but it wasn't intended to be. The Corvette puts up similar performance numbers, but couldn't be much different from the TT in how it feels generating those numbers. Although there is something very special about the way a 996TT feels when driven hard, the same can be said for the Z06. If I still owned the Porsche, I would have to flip a coin to decide which one I would drive each day.

As an aside, I've found this forum to be a great source for practical information which has helped me decide on modifications and provided valuable technical support. Although posters aren't afraid to mention their criticisms of the car, it's so refreshing to read posts with so little of the griping, negativity and flaming that occurs on other (foreign car) forums that I read. That's as much a reflection on the character of the members here as it is a measure of the outstanding qualities of the Z06.

Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Multicar,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :cool:

Everybody here wants to help. This is the best bunch of cats of the web!! :D It just keeps getting better!!:guiness:

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
The Corvette has always been a special car but the Z06 has raised the bar for sure.:grin: Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
This is quite a testimonial to the Z06. I think you've made us all feel proud to be owners of an AMERICAN made car and especially the Z06 Corvette. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think that your willingness to make such a posts speaks volumes about yourself and this forum. On many other forums you may get bashed for having the decency to admit your previous negativity toward the vehicle of choice on the particular forum, but here you are embraced. Welcome and enjoy the car!

G

·
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Z06! I get Porsche/BWM/etc owners nodding approval at me waiting for the lights to chance, daily.

I think there are more people that share your thoughts, and are coming over to Corvette ownership because of the outstanding job GM did with the Z06.

I feel very fortunate to be able to afford one of these machines, it makes all of life's problems fade to the background when I'm in the cockpit.

(you don't want to hear about how they are 'rebuilding' my house because they built it wrong and mold was forming in all of the ourside walls because the brick was too close to the sheathing and they didn't use tyvek!!!)

Out of all the new cars I've had in the past 25 years, this has been the best built also. I keep looking for issues and can't find any. With other cars I'd have a stack of warrentee work orders by now.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Great post it says alot and welcome.:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Foreign Car Snob

Multicar--
Boy, I could have done your post also except I was in the metal made in Japan. Last 5 "fun cars" have been Supras, last 2 were modded Twin Turbos...fabulous cars! Toss in a Lexus Coupe when I turned 50 so as to "act my age" (per my wife). Awesome car, but not a sports car by any stretch so back to the Supras.
I wanted a V8 for the rumble...grew up in the 50's so never got that V8 bit out of my head. When the Z06 hit and the great reviews it got, I was in the hunt. I had lurked on some Vette forums for a while. Was a bit "bummed" after seeing the oil problems some suffered...and even more bummed seeing GM's attitude towards this problem. Not something I was used to seeing after experiencing Toyota/Lexus service.
So, what did I do??? Sold the Supra and bought a Z06...hunted like crazy for the Yellow (I wanted something real stealthy!) Another member told me about a new one in Lansing,Michigan...calls/emails/deal made....fly out/drive back. Now, 5 weeks later, I'm loving it. Will it be as reliable as the Supra's? Probably not. Does it have the fit/finish of the Supra's...nope, and I find it disconcerting to see the orange peel, but overall, I'm very impressed with the car. Great performance/handling and I love the song the V8 sings (Bose stereo turned down; titanium stereo turned up).
Believe me, none of this is intended as a flame...just my personal feelings. Right now, I'm one HAPPY CAMPER!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Multicar- Welcome to this great place JC & Frank have created for us. Just let us know how we can help you. These are the best people and this is the best Forum on the net.

Life is GOOD..............Ken-

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome MultiCar and thanks for a great posts and I am even more impressed with the Z06 decision I made based on your comments. Your perspective is really appreciated. Welcome aboard and have fun with all your cars.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ever since its launch, the C5 has won the hearts of car enthusiasts the world over, luring countless diehard "foreign" car lovers, including yours truly. With the advent of the Z06, the C5 had evolved from a great GT car to a no-holds-barred sports car - supercar, if you will. Posts like these are an affirmation of the greatness of this machine. There are those that may fail to acknowledge its undeniable presence in the arena of world-class sports cars, and it will be their loss. Fortunate indeed, are the true enthusiasts! :smile:

·
Registered
76 Posts
If other foreign car "snobs" were as open minded as you and simply would take a Z06 out for a spin, I'm sure that most would love it too. I've had the chance to drive 911's (no TT), various Ferrari's (308, 348, Testarossa), Viper RT/10 and GTS, and NSX. The Z06 definitely is right up there with all of them (haven't even driven an '02 Z06 yet), and if I had to pick one car out of the bunch for a daily driver, I'd take the Vette!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well said. Been there, Done that, Even got the Z06vette tee shirt.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.