Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2004 Z06 is squealing after a DE. It is a constant squeal, mostly originating from the driver's side rear wheel. My brakes have always squealed on and off, but never while the car was moving without the brakes engaged.

I've done some searching, and possibly this is brake booster related? But I think the bad batch of those was from a few years ago - unlikely that I have a bad one now (2004 z06 9K miles)?! I've tried pulling up on the pedal and that does not help the squeal problem.

Originally I thought I had a rock stuck in the pad since the squeal was originating from only one rotor. But, my rotors have smudging (glazing?!) on them so I know the brakes are dragging. This is happening on both rear rotors, and even on the front to a lesser extent. I was able to drive home from the DE because I got out after 20 miles and felt the rotor and it was not hot (would be hot if the brakes were really locking onto the rotor). The pads must just be barely touching.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've done some searhcing but didnt turn up any posts that were not related to the booster and with people who have tracked their car.

BTW, this is my second DE, and I have not changed anything with the brakes from OEM (Using stock fluid, pads and rotors). On a side note, I guess it is time to change my brake fluid to a better one?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Check your pads. They probably have worn to a nice square leading edge after tracking car. You can file this off and stop squealing some times. If the pads are stock, there is a squealer tab that rubs on the rotor to indicate pads are to minimum thickness. They are not always precisely located.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Could your pads be shot? Maybe the wear indicator is rubbing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is very possible that my pads are gone. I see tons of brake dust after my events, and even daily driving. BUT, would the pads ride on the rotors like that and squeal constantly if they were just worn? I fear some other large problem is in my midst!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most brake pads have a wear indicator that's designed to rub on the rotor and squeal like heck when the pads get thin. That might be what you're hearing.
--Yak

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it is possible that the pads are gone.. two DE's and 10K miles.. I just thought it was weird how they were squeaking without brake application - never saw that before. I have an appt soon - I'll let you all know what they find.

·
Registered
377 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
Check your pads. They probably have worn to a nice square leading edge after tracking car. You can file this off and stop squealing some times.
Very interesting...I will have to check it out.

Subwooer, any trips to the Glen planned for the rest of this year?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you guys were right, my pads were just worn way down. I replaced the pads and it went away.

kmagvette - nope, next year ill be there. my last event is next weekend at nhis.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Subw00er said:
you guys were right, my pads were just worn way down. I replaced the pads and it went away.

kmagvette - nope, next year ill be there. my last event is next weekend at nhis.
Sounds like you got it.:jammin:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Do you drive in Competitive mode for DE's?

If so, it is normal for the AH to use the rear brakes and they wear faster, especially on the track.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
DJWorm said:
Do you drive in Competitive mode for DE's?

If so, it is normal for the AH to use the rear brakes and they wear faster, especially on the track.
I've found that when I use Comp Mode in a DE the rear pads wear about the same to a little faster than the fronts. When I turn everything off for a race weekend, the fronts wear about 25% faster than the rears.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Subdriver, I ran two events and 10K miles on oem pads. I used traction control and AH. My rears were <1mm after my second event, and my fronts are only about half gone. I've decided to put on panther plus for my next event and leave oem pads for the street. Oh, and I'll try and get used to Comp mode at the track!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts