Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per my other post I am considering buying an '02/'03 Z06 and modifying it into good track and auto-x weapon.

However, I keep looking back to the S2000 and Boxster S partially because I'd like to have the open-air factor for street driving.

So I'm thinking if I am going to modify the Z06 suspension, and brakes (and hp pieces like cam, exhaust etc), how much farther behind would I really be if I just made those same upgrades to a C5 convertible? I.e. if modifications are in store, am I paying a wasted premium for the Z06 if a lot of those Z06-specific pieces are going to get junked anyways? What are the Z06 pieces that cannot, with any economic viability, be matched or improved upon with a modified convertible (e.g. chassis stiffness would be one)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe Caravaggio, one of the supporting vendors, can modify the Z06 into a convertible. Check out their website for pics. link is on the bar to the left <-----------

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Chassis stiffness and transmission/gearing. I added the chassis stiffener plate to my coupe and it made a big difference, but it probably still flexes more than a Z. Replacing the trans would cost a fair amount. Switching to 3.73s, 3.90s, or 4.10 would probably negate that advantage though for quite a bit less.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
bigbay00 said:
I believe Caravaggio, one of the supporting vendors, can modify the Z06 into a convertible. Check out their website for pics. link is on the bar to the left <-----------
True, but I believe if you started with a Vert and spent the same amount, you end up with a much better performing car than starting with the Z. A used Z is most likely several thousand more than a used vert, then $16K (I think it was around that) to chop the top off a Z. Once they're both verts, the Z's advantages are suspension (he said he would switch that out anyway. I spent about $750 for my complete suspension), wider wheels and tires (I don't know what they sell for now, but let's say $900 for Z wheels, 1200 for tires), Ti catback ($800 or less for Corsas, Borlas, etc), brake ducts (can be added if you want them 2-300?), gearing and 55hp. So round that out to about 3500 to make them roughly even, not including any work on hp or gearing. With the cost savings between starting with a vert vs a Z, you could easily take care of those two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Javelin, you are correct in understanding my thinking.

The hypothesis that I want to throw out to those much more knowledgeable than I is to start with a used '99-'03 convertible, make pretty much the same mods I would have to the Z06 and actually leapfrog the performance of an '04 Z06. So both price and performancewise, I'm very close to where I would have been with the modded Z06 but have a vert too.

Please feel free to punch holes in that premise. That's why I'm posting.

I figure as long as I start with a 6 speed there should not be much more to do than I would have done to the Z06 anyways to make it a good track toy (e.g. big brakes, '04 shocks, lowered, T1 sway bars, Borla). Where I am not well informed is in the engine dept. Would cams and springs alone do the job or would I need the LS6 head as well? Other suggestions?

The extras I do see being required over what I'd need for the Z06 may be a shorter rear end (to make-up for the tranny ratios) and some chassis bracing. Key question: What else? Fyi a second set of wheels for R-compound tires would be needed in either case. I've seen 295F/315R Pilot Cups on a Z06 -- any reason these wouldn't fit an earlier vert?

In screening verts, would I even need the Z51 package? Seems it would all get junked anyways.

Any info on a roll hoop for a convertible that fits under the ragtop?

p.s. to answer a rather puerile debate I've come across in a search of past posts, I would never put Z06 badges on this car. I have an M5 so don't ask me about M-badged 530i's.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sounds like a good project you can race as you go.Start with a stock vert and modify the LS1 with LS6 parts.You might as well punch it to 427 while your in there. :jammin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. The closer I look at the $$ numbers the more it seems that if I'm going so far as to get into the engine internals of a C5 vert, I'd be better off just picking up a year old C6 vert this winter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Skid said:
Thanks for the replies. The closer I look at the $$ numbers the more it seems that if I'm going so far as to get into the engine internals of a C5 vert, I'd be better off just picking up a year old C6 vert this winter.

You may also want to keep your eyes open for a C5 vert that already has some modifications. There has been some very nice ones that sold for a fraction of the price of the modifications. $.25 on the dollar for mods in most cases.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Skid said:
Javelin, you are correct in understanding my thinking.

The hypothesis that I want to throw out to those much more knowledgeable than I is to start with a used '99-'03 convertible, make pretty much the same mods I would have to the Z06 and actually leapfrog the performance of an '04 Z06. So both price and performancewise, I'm very close to where I would have been with the modded Z06 but have a vert too.

Please feel free to punch holes in that premise. That's why I'm posting.

I figure as long as I start with a 6 speed there should not be much more to do than I would have done to the Z06 anyways to make it a good track toy (e.g. big brakes, '04 shocks, lowered, T1 sway bars, Borla). Where I am not well informed is in the engine dept. Would cams and springs alone do the job or would I need the LS6 head as well? Other suggestions?

The extras I do see being required over what I'd need for the Z06 may be a shorter rear end (to make-up for the tranny ratios) and some chassis bracing. Key question: What else? Fyi a second set of wheels for R-compound tires would be needed in either case. I've seen 295F/315R Pilot Cups on a Z06 -- any reason these wouldn't fit an earlier vert?

In screening verts, would I even need the Z51 package? Seems it would all get junked anyways.

Any info on a roll hoop for a convertible that fits under the ragtop?

p.s. to answer a rather puerile debate I've come across in a search of past posts, I would never put Z06 badges on this car. I have an M5 so don't ask me about M-badged 530i's.
Don't bother with the Z51 package. It has it's place and I was impressed with it for what it was designed for but have since replaced all of the components with the exception of the P/S cooler.

For a roll bar ECS from what I hear makes a nice bar although on the expensive side. That is most likely where I will be getting mine. BTW with a 6 point cage installed rigidity will surpass a Z.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts