Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Vette Essentials, where my Z06 seats are being converted to Sport Seats.

Ken King and I have done some research and are in the process of prototyping some things that are designed to give me more headroom (I'm 6'3") and better comfort/lateral support.

Step one was removing and disassembling my Z06 seats. Here is a picture of the seat without foam and trim:

Here is a picture of the cushion frame - those black wires are what some people are removing to lower them in the seat - we are not going for this approach as it will wear the foam a lot more and not be very comfortable. Picture as stock:

Here is the seat frame with the new addition of Sport Seat air bladders for lumbar and side bolster support:

The Z06 and Sport Seat frames are identical. The main differences between the two are the air bladders, the control module and switches for the air bladders, and the foam and trim. Since we've already added the air bladders, the next step is to add the foam. The back foam consists of a halo piece and an insert piece. Here is a picture of Vette Essentials' stash of halos:

The other piece of the puzzle is the insert for the back, which we modified by hacking about 3/8" off the back of it, with the thought that it will sit back more on the seat frame relative to the halo, giving more lateral support in the process. Here is a pictures of the back insert foam, which show the slabs we cut off the back:

Here is a picture showing a couple of V-channels we cut down the center of the insert foam (spine area) with the goal of allowing the spine to sink a tad bit further into the foam.

In addition, since I wanted more headroom, we wanted to take some foam off the bottom of the cushion (as opposed to removing support wires from the frame). I was advised to core out the foam as opposed to cutting a slab off like we did on the back insert foam, mainly because the cushion foam is fairly thin to begin with. Here are pictures of the core outs on the bottom of the cushion:

Vette Essentials is now working on making the new trim, which will be black and Millenium Yellow to match my Z06. :cool:

Stay tuned for further progress :cheers:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hey, this looks really intriguing. How much are they charging to do this? And how long is going to take? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The foam modifications took about 1 day, mainly because we had to do some design work and figure out what would work. The new trim is custom designed and will take about a week. Cost is mainly for the trim, you can contact Vette Essentials for more info. See link in sig.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Lambinator:

Nice write up, with excellent pics to go with!

Thanks for sharing, and please keep us updated on the project. :cheers:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Very Cool. Looking forward to the pictures when its done.

Todd, why did you decide to go with modifying the orginal seats instead of buying sport seats?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lambinator,

I installed my non-memory sport seat in my memory equiped Z and got codes and a flashing memory light. Looks like I'll have a set of sports seats for sale.
Looking forward to seeing yours when completed.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Blue Z06,

Could you have just turned the memory option off on the D.I.C.?

What did you end up doing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Blue Z06

why don't you swap the SCM (Seat Control Module) from the Z06 seat to the sport seat? Don't know why that wouldn't work. I found the sport seat and Z06 seats to have the same SCM part number but with different wiring arrangements

I bought complete sport seats and had to rewire the sport seat SCM to match the memory equipped Z06 seat (basically disable the telescoping steering wheel option)

I have a write up and pics that can send to an email address if you are interested

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Neil,

If you could I am contemplating buying sport seats with the memory option although this seems to be a bigger pain than I anticipated... My z06 has the memory option and I thought it would just plug in..It never dawned on me about the telescoping wheel etc...

If you could email or post the instructions here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and I'd imagine many others would be interested in this as well.

It would make a great post.

JB

·
Registered
123 Posts
I sent you a writeup and pics

I did post it after I got mine working, but it has been almost a year

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK for those who can't handle attachments, here it is

Installing Sport Seats into Z06

These instructions are for installing Sport Seats (the Chevrolet parts guy will call them luxury seats) into a 2003 Z06 with the memory seat option. The pair of Sport Seats installed into my Z06 came out of a 2002 convertible, and were complete with tracks, motors, wiring, etc. The convertible had both the memory seat and telescoping steering wheel options.

The following describes how to install the power feed for the passenger side, and to rework the OEM wiring for the driver seat, without splicing, soldering, or mickeymousing the wiring, such that both seats are fully functional (bolster and lumbar air bags work). That is, the directions describe how to replicate the factory wiring for a Coupe/vert into a Z06.

For the driver’s side, the Z06 has one wiring connector that hooks the seat wiring to the body wiring harness, whereas the Sport Seats have two connectors. A black one (the only one on the Z06) basically provides power and ground for the seat functions and memory. A blue connector on the Sport Seats is related to the retractable steering column “easy exit” feature available in Coupes and verts.

The black connector of the Sport Seat cannot simply be plugged into the driver side of the Z06 and have the seat function correctly. This is because the wiring harness that has a blue connector has different configuration for the basic motor controls at the Seat Control Module (SCM) which is suspended from the bottom of the seat from the seat spring wires.

A different driver side seat wiring harness is not available from GM. The only available wiring harness is the same harness with telescoping controls as used in the Sport Seat. Thus, you have to modify the Sport Seat harness (blue and black connector) to match the Z06 harness and leave intact the Sport Seat wiring for controlling the lumbar and bolster air bags.

First, with the Z06 seats and Sport Seats out of the car, unbolt both driver seats (Z06 original and Sport Seat) from both tracks (using half inch open end wrench on the four nuts holding the four studs on the seat track). Remove the plastic side panel (on the outside of each seat; it has finger controls for seat movement and air bags) by removing the two phillips head screws and the seat recline lever. The recline lever is held on a stud by a snap on circlip. Use a small thin flat screwdriver and press against the silver colored spot you can see when looking through the small slot on the bottom side of the recline lever. It will pop off. Then, the only thing holding the side panel on is a stud on the front of the car end of the panel that snaps into a hole in the seat. Gently pry the entire assembly outward and forward and jiggle around until it pops off. Next, peel the black tape off the wiring harness for the Sport Seat. Verify that both Seat Control Modules (SCM) are the same part number (hopefully 10435193). If they are not, you will either have to buy the same part number SCM, or swap the Z06 SCM into the Sport Seat.

Next, modify the Sport Seat wiring harness to match the Z06 seat harness. There will be a bunch of extra little wires for power, ground and control wires for the air pump and seat air bag controls on the Sport Seats that are left alone.

The only differences in the wire locations between Sport Seat and Z06 wiring harness are on the black and green connectors on the SCM. You do not need to modify the wiring in the third (red) connector on the SCM. Three of the wires in the Sport Seat harness are in different connector locations at the SCM in the black and green connectors. Those are yellow, light green and light blue. These have to be rearranged into spots in the black and green connectors that match the Z06 harness (one from one connector to the other connector, the other two to a different spot in the same connector). The other end of those wires already match where they all go into the same connector at the seat motor power distribution connector. Remove the black and green connectors from the SCM by pressing the retaining clip on the end of the connector and pulling firmly on the connector, not the wiring. Pop the three wires mentioned above out of the black and green SCM connectors (using paper clip inserted into the hole in the connector where the connector plugs into the SCM to release the spring clip holder tab on the wire terminal) and rearrange them to match the original Z06 harness locations.

There are two additional wires (a red and a dark brown) in the black or green connector that get removed and discarded. They are not rearranged/reused because they only go to the blue connector that gets discarded.

For the rest of the wires going to/from the blue connector, cut them off (all these wires go to the red connector on the SCM), cover the ends with tape, and throw away the blue connector.

Tape everything back up, reassemble the seat, and bolt it into the car.

For the passenger side, power must be provided to drive the Sport Seat power functions. There are a couple of optional ways to replicate factory original wiring, and probably other ways to rig power and ground.

I bought a Coupe passenger side wiring harness (must have 2000-2003 donor car) from Gene at the KarShop (866 200 9133). Gene suggested replacing the entire passenger side Z06 harness with the Coupe harness. When I looked at the two dozen or so connectors on the Coupe harness (everything electrical on the passenger side, lights, speakers and all) and pulling all the trim panels and carpet up, I decided it would be easier to just strip out the passenger side seat power harness/connector from the Coupe harness and graft it into the Z06.

To do this, take the black tape off the front part of the donor harness (from the huge green plastic connector block to the seat connector, about two feet in length) and take three wires out (two orange power wires plus one black ground), plus of course the connector that matches up to the passenger seat connector.

For power feed, disconnect battery positive terminal. Then plug the two orange wires (one 16 gauge and the other 18 or 20 gauge) into the back the Z06 passenger side footwell fuse box in the same locations as they came from in the Coupe/vert harness.

To get at the back of the Z06 fuse interior box, remove the panel at the passenger toes (has tabs on bottom that fit into slots and velcro at top; simply pull the top toward you and lift out), and take the cover off the fuse box. Also remove trim piece that is the door sill that holds the carpet in place near the door opening (use your fingers to pull it from the carpet side upward and out until it pops off). The front of this big trim piece is underneath the windshield pillar trim, so carefully work it out from under.

Next, use a 7mm socket or wrench to take the single screw off the left side of the fuse box holder/surround black plastic thing, and pull/rotate the fuse box out to where you can get at the back of it.

Use the same 7mm socket to loosen a copper colored bolt that holds the big green connector (the bottom one of three big multi-wire connectors on the back of the fuse box) into the fuse box. The bolt doesn’t come out entirely, so turn it a bunch of times to be sure it is fully loose. Then pry the black plastic wire guard off the head of that bolt. Then pull/pry the green connector block out of the back of the fuse box. Use a small thin flat blade screwdriver to pry with, and pull only on the plastic itself, not the wires.

Hold the large green connector so that you are looking at the side where the wires will be inserted. It is rectangular. On one of the long sides, there are two tabs, and only one tab on the other long side. This is to be sure the green connector can only be inserted into the fuse box in only one way. With the two tab side pointing up, look at the top leftmost hole where a wire could be inserted.

Next, look at the bottom long side of the big green connector. There is a blue plastic strip along the side of the green connector. This is a multi-fingered hold-the-wires-in-place retainer device. Get your fingernails under the blue retainer and slide it out. This allows you to insert the two wires into the back of the big green connector.

Start with the top left-most hole where a wire could be inserted and go to the very next column to your right (or the second column counting from left to right) and then go down 3 rows (or the third row counting from top to bottom). This is the hole where the larger (16 gauge) power wire goes. Place the smaller orange power feed wire (18 gauge?) into the hole that is two positions below that, or five down from the top (in the same second column).

After the wires click into place, reassemble everything and run the two power wires along the door sill under the carpet to the seat location. You can tape those two wires up along their length and use the factory bend-together holders to keep in place, or zip ties.

The hardest part of the reassembly is getting the black plastic wire guard thingie back onto the head of the bolt that holds the big green connector to the fuse box. Obviously install the black guard before you tighten the bolt, but it will likely take several tries to work it back under the head of the bolt.

The third (black) wire into the seat connector is ground. The factory grounding point is located behind the trim panel that has the top pivot point for the passenger side seat belt. Pull the bottom of the panel outward away from the side of the car and jiggle it so that it pops loose and gives access to the grounding point. No need to remove the big Torx headed bolt that holds the top of the seatbelt. There is enough room by just moving the bottom of the panel. You can either insert the ground wire into the common grounding connector at the “F” location like it appears in the donor harness (must disassemble the common grounding connector to do so), or just put a ring or spade terminal on it and slide it under the 10mm headed bolt.

An alternative to buying a donor Coupe/vert harness is the buy from GM the right flavor of wire terminals that will snap into the fuse box. I do not have a part number or know what they are called by GM. Then you can use those terminals, add appropriate gauge wires, insert into the green fuse box connector, and connect the other end of those wires directly into the seat harness wires using Radio Shack connectors or splicing/soldering.

The third obvious alternative is to buy and install an entire passenger side harness from a donor Coupe/vert. A side benefit of installing the entire harness is that there will be a connector for a trunk mounted 12 disc CD player.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Neil,

Not only do those sports seats look awesome in there..your tutorial is excellent..

Thank you ..thank you ..thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts