Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on the list for a 2002 M3, and have test driven the 2002 Z06. I really liked the Z06 a lot, but I'm going to be keeping it in a cold-weather (snowy) climate, and for that reason am leaning toward the M3 (although both aren't the best for the snow).

I also currently drive a 2000 BMW M coupe, and really like the build quality and interior quality of the BMW compared to Z06. I really think I'm going to go ahead with the M3, but I still really like the Z06.

Any input as to why the Z06 in your opinion is the better choice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben FR

·
Registered
0 Posts
Go drive a Z06 and then make a decision. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OOPS!! I missed that you test drove one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I think you should get the BMW...JMHO!!

Ditto what Harley says. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ben FR...
It's like the saying goes (having to do with another infernal cumbustion machine):
"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." Stick with the Bimmer.

HarleyB

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are you sure it was a 2002 Z06 that you test drove? My guts tell me it was a 2001 as it's unlikely any dealer would have a 2002 sitting on the lot.

Anyway, I believe the so called build quality is more of a myth than a fact. Euro-car fans came up with it to justify spending money on a car that will get smoked by an American one of the same price range. If you're looking for superior performance the decision is a no brainer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ditto.... No Brainer!

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I am sure you saw the test that was done by MT or R&T just recently between the 01 Z06, the 01 M3, and the 01 Boxster. 6 different tests, acceleration, braking, slalom, road course, etc.

The Z06 won 5 of the 6 test outright, and tied for first with the M3 in the sixth. The M3 generally came in second.

If performance is what you are buying the car for then go with the Vette, if creature comforts (interior, etc) are what are most important then go with BMW.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Motor Trend felt strongly enough to declare the Bimmer the winner in their recent "No Holds Barred Speed Dual". Despite the fact that the Z06 won every metric of the contest, the back seats prevailed.

The Z06 tends toward the more radical and extreme end of the performance spectrum; the BMW is more of a crowd pleaser to those with lesser performance needs or expectations.

There was a time not too long ago when a back seat might have mattered to me... certainly glad that it doesn't any more!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ben, haven't you been lurking here for a while, and didn't you post these questions/concerns a while back? [It's prefectly fine, on both accounts.] I thought you were pretty set on the Z a while back. Why don't you help us by telling us what has changed your mind?

It sounds like you've made up your mind already, so any convincing on our part will probably fall on deaf ears. As for the Z in the snow, well... I'd never drive mine in the snow. Then again, I don't have an M3, and don't know if I'd drive that in the snow either. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If you really need "reasons" as to why you should buy the Z over the M, start with the recent Motor Trend that pitted the Z, M, and Boxter against one another. The numbers speak for themselves, for starters.

-Kirk

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was considering buying an 01' m3 when I got my Z06. I can't tell you which one to buy, only you can decide that. All I can say is that I have absolutely no regrets of the choice I made. This car is the ultimate in GM performance and is envyed and stared at everywhere I take it. The one and only thing I find benificial about the M3 is the fact that it had 4 seats, otherwise the Z06 dominates. Who needs 4 seets anyway. Maybe if it had only 2 seats then it could run with the Z06, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
We're not salesmen here. Buy whichever car you want. Most of us chose the Z06 and wouldn't have even considered the alternative.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Don't forget...with the BMW you'll get a back seat!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
228 Posts
The two cars are for different purposes. If you are in it for all out performance then their is only one right answer!
Z06!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ben,

Putting aside test numbers, which one would peg the excitment meter in your heart the most? I'm picking up my MY Z at the museum on Monday and I'm bouncing off the walls with anticipation and excitment. I also have a deposit down for a M3, which I should have had by now, but because of quality concerns about the engine, its introduction was delayed and production has been slower than anticipated. The months delay on the BMW bums me out somewhat, but if the Z06 was delayed even a day I'd be livid. That speaks volumes, at least for me. BTW, I'm only getting the M3 because it has a back seat and it will replace my 99 coupe.

Steve
02 MY Z06 8-6 NCM delivery

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Mercedes CLK 430, which isn't an M3, but is somewhat comparable. The Z06 is truly one of the most fun and exciting cars I have ever driven.

You have a Bimmer, now its time to get a race car!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Motor Trend quote:
"This car doesn't know from finess. It's the Ultimate Corvette. A man's car for the man who knows how to use it. Any poseurs will quickly be weeded out of the ZO6 Owner Registry, with soiled undergarments and eyes as big as saucers."

·
Registered
221 Posts
The perfect answer is as Z06M3 says......buy both.

I cant afford both; so I got the one that makes my head turn everytime i see one go by....the Z06.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I pondered that same question before I finally settled on the Z06. The M3 wasn't available without a long wait. I didn't want to drive either car in the snow. I wanted the baddest car I could get for the money, which from a performance standpoint was the Z06. So I have a Z06 being delivered in a few weeks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

On 2001-08-01 14:46, KMeloney spewed forth this drivel:
Ben, haven't you been lurking here for a while, and didn't you post these questions/concerns a while back? [It's prefectly fine, on both accounts.] I thought you were pretty set on the Z a while back. Why don't you help us by telling us what has changed your mind?

I am still having problems making the decision. I drove the Z06, and was impressed, but not very impressed. In terms of the performance differences, yes, the Z06 is ahead of the M3, but not by much. In the MT test, the Z06 only beat the M3's lap time by less than 1/2 a second, despite the large differences in acceleration and braking.

The Z06 reminds me a lot of my father's Viper (he just sold it), which was a hoot to drive, but not an everyday car. If it were possible, I would love to buy an M5, Z06 and a sport bike, but due to circumstances, I need something that best encompasses all three desires. I really think the M3 does this job the best, and that is why I am leaning toward it.

I know the Z06 is bar none the best American sportscar made to date. Its performance per dollar far exceeds any other car I can think of. Because of this, I am really drawn to the car, but because of my conflicting interests, I haven't been able to arrive at a decision.

-Ben FR

1 - 20 of 66 Posts