Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2001 Z06 with 37,000 miles on it. The only concern that I have is the temp gauge will move from 190 degrees to 230 degrees. Is this normal and if so is their any thing that I can do to keep it form moving in to such high tem zones. My friends 2003 Cobra is always at the 200 mark and never moves no matter how much he abuses the engine. As I have noticed with most cars that the temp gauge doses not move after a certain point. Someone please help with some insight thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
mine does the same, and i was also concerned, until i read on the forums that it's normal....when driving in traffic or after lengthy and spirited driving, i notice that it goes to about 220-230, but eventually cools back down to 190....i think 190 is considered "peak"

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Those are normal temps:

There are some things you can do:
1. Reprogram the fans to come ON sooner. OR Add an adjustable fan switch harness.
2. You can lower the Coolant temp 10-20 degrees if you run the AC in Recirc mode. (Button to the right)
3. During the summer, especially at the track you can dilute the Coolant from a 50/50 mixture to 30/70 by adding more distilled water.
You must bring the concentration back up for the colder months.
4. You can install a lower temp TStat. OR modify the OEM's TStat's wax motor. I recommend 178 - 180 degrees
5. If tracking the car you can add a racing radiator and/or a racing radiator with integral oil cooler.

I will soon have blueprinted TStats and water pumps that flow and cool better and a race coolant. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the hot weather for DEs can you do with out antifreeze altogethr and use something like Red Line Water Wetter and distilled water? Teh Red line web page seems to indicate that antifreeze inhibits the cooling and only is there to prevent freezing.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
You could try Evan's NPG coolant, which I plan to do this year. I'll get back to everyone with results once I do.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

What color is your Zee?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts