Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is really picking nits, but I have noticed a slight, but distinct and repeatable difference in my coolant temperature since last weeks 2 day event at VIR. Prior to the event under normal driving and in almost any temperature my coolant stabilized at 190. Period. Never lower, only higher in traffic. I ran the car hard during the event, showed some good lap times, but nothing out of the ordinary happened and my coolant never got above 215 even during the hardest driving. Heck, it gets to 225 in traffic so i had no worries.

Now, after the event, my coolant temp is not getting below 194. Not one time since the event. Like I said, i know it's tiny, but it is a distinct change. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Have you checked the front of the AC condensor to see if you have collected any trash, leaves etc. to restrict the air flow? :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
terry schulze said:
Have you checked the front of the AC condensor to see if you have collected any trash, leaves etc. to restrict the air flow? :idea:
Yup, clean as a whistle. That was actually the ONLY thing I could think of! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
That's just simply variance in outside temp. 194 is actually where the stock thermostats are opened up and where the normal temp stays. That's where mine was before adding the bigger radiator, oil cooler, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
I would also suggest using 2 bottles of Red Line Water Wetter. In addition you can reduce the coolant/water ratio from 50/50 to 30/70 adding more distilled water when the ambient temps warm up above 70.

Be sure and reconstitute the coolant back to 50/50 for next Winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
I've tried all those additives for the coolant and all sorts of mixtures and none of them worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
Chris,

They all work for me, and I use them. Otherwise I would not have recommended them.

Red Line Water Wetter is a surfactant which lowers the surface tension of the coolant. This reduces the formation of air pockets and hot spots in the system, particularly in the heads. It allows any bubbles that have been created in the system to dissipate quickly. This reduces the coolant temperature and allows the coolant to work more effectively.

Water transfers heat much better than coolant and an increased ratio in the system will cool more efficiently.

It may be that the stock TStat is keeping the system temp up at 194 but with the above 2 differences the engine is cooling off more effectively.

Additional things that can be done:
- Install a lower temp TStat (178 -180)
- Reprogam to turn fans on sooner (at a lower temp)
- Use A/C ON, in Recirc Mode while in the pits or on grid
- Blueprint TStat
- Blueprint Waterpump
- Install Racing Waterless Coolant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Oh I know what they are supposed to do...and I've done the Tstat thing, and have my computer programmed for the fans, etc, etc, etc. I even tried the Valvoline racing coolant and several other things. Ack! :flaming: :bs: :NoNo:

The only thing that ever worked for me though was adding that bigger radiator...which is what I'd recommend to anyone who does a lot of track stuff. You can spend a lot of time and money on additives that may or may not give you a degree or two, but the larger radiator cost around $6-700 and keeps your coolant temps at 208 under the most extreme heat during the race. It just flat works!!!!!! That plus a good Earl's oil cooler and my motor stays cool the whole time I'm on track. :jammin: :yeadog:

The only down side to it was that it weighed about 10 lbs more than stock depending on the fluid levels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
sleeper02Z06 said:
Now, after the event, my coolant temp is not getting below 194. Not one time since the event. Like I said, i know it's tiny, but it is a distinct change. Any thoughts?
Change that small could be many things:
- Change in ambient
- Change in set point of the tsat
- Change in calibration of the thermometer

I wouldn't worry about a 4 degree change at this point. Keep an eye on it to see if it further changes. Stock, mine ran nearer 200 more often than 194...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
sleeper02Z06 said:
OK, I know this is really picking nits, but I have noticed a slight, but distinct and repeatable difference in my coolant temperature since last weeks 2 day event at VIR. Prior to the event under normal driving and in almost any temperature my coolant stabilized at 190. Period. Never lower, only higher in traffic. I ran the car hard during the event, showed some good lap times, but nothing out of the ordinary happened and my coolant never got above 215 even during the hardest driving. Heck, it gets to 225 in traffic so i had no worries.

Now, after the event, my coolant temp is not getting below 194. Not one time since the event. Like I said, i know it's tiny, but it is a distinct change. Any thoughts?
Check your fans first. If thats not the problem.

Then pull your radiator, it probably has crude in the veins. Hit with high pressure hose.

MSI pulled out two pounds of cat hair, my wives hair and pine needles out mine. They put in nice clear baggy for me to take home and show her. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Is it normal for engine oil temps on these cars (stock) to creep up fairly high during open track events? One of the guys I rode with awhile back had an '01 that would creep up pretty high after 4-5 hards laps, back it down, let it cool, and back at it again. I was suprised at that, normal for these cars in stock form?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
drivinhard said:
Is it normal for engine oil temps on these cars (stock) to creep up fairly high during open track events? One of the guys I rode with awhile back had an '01 that would creep up pretty high after 4-5 hards laps, back it down, let it cool, and back at it again. I was suprised at that, normal for these cars in stock form?
Yes, it is normal, and why last weekend I installed a DRM engine-oil cooler.

Last October at Road America, my engine-oil hit 280+, and with a 'real' driver driving, hit 290+. In two more weekends, I'll be able to see how well the DRM cooler works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Yeah, depending on what track you're at and what time of year it is, you'll see high oil temps...260-300+ is not unusual. H2O temps can easily see 225-245 too. The DRM kit works really well as does their new big radiator. If you do a lot of these events (DE or racing) it pays off in the long run to have as much cooling as you can. With a good cooler and big radiator, the most you'll see if about 250 oil and 215 water. It works.

You'll also need to think about a tranny cooler too...and a diff cooler if you can. Everything helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
My water temps never get over 195-200 on the track. No heat soak at all. :thumb:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top