Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
After reading a number of threads on cooling fan on/off temperatures, I'm still not sure what the best temperatures would be to reprogram the cooling fans at...
Some people have the two fans staggered in 9 or 10 degree incerments (ex. Fan 1 on/off at 209/200, Fan 2 on/off at 219/210).
Other people have both fans come on at practically to same time (ex. Fan 1 194/185; Fan 2 196/186).
What would determine the ideal on/off settings? Any general rules, hints, or suggestions?
I have a 170 degree t-stat installed.
Thanks....... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You will get different ideas on this as you have found out. I would suggest you set the low speed to come on about 190 & go off at 180, and have the high speed come on about 200 and off at 190. It really depends what range you want to try to keep the temp in. :coo:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Here's my 2 cents :z:

Fan 1
On 184
Off 175

Fan 2
On 194
Off 185

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.......:cheers:

Looks like two votes for the ~20 degree temp spread between fan 1 off and fan 2 on...or something like that... :crazy:

Any reason you can think of for not having both fans come on and off at aprox the same time?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Icewasp said:
Thanks for the feedback.......:cheers:

Looks like two votes for the ~20 degree temp spread between fan 1 off and fan 2 on...or something like that... :crazy:

Any reason you can think of for not having both fans come on and off at aprox the same time?
Sudden draw surge of both coming on at once is harder on the system.

Jack

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FRC Tom said:
That is why I set them about 4 degrees apart. ;)
Preventing a sudden draw surge makes sense... :yeadog:

Tom, why do you have your fans set 4 degrees apart rather then the 9 or 10 degree difference that seems most 'popular'?
It seems to me the closer/sooner both fans turn on, the quicker the cooling process will be....?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
My car is S/Ced and the hot air produced in the intake raises the coolant temp and I found this works real well here in the FL heat. My car had a 160 stat and I run the fans at 185/180 and 189/180. Because of the unusally small pulley I have been running producing 20lbs of boost my coolant temp actually runs hotter on the hwy then in town during the day.
This because of the high rpms the S/C is turning at speed.
I also have fans on the back of my intercoolers hooked up to the main fans.
On a N/A car I spread them 10 degrees, once again because of the FL heat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since my car is N/A, I'll probably stick to a ~10 degree spread for the fans.
It gets hot here in Sacramento, but it's a 'dry' heat... :cool:

With my 170 degree t-stat, I think I'll do either an on/off at 190/181 & 200/191, or 194/185 & 195/186. Perhaps I'll just flip a coin to decide... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
gsjack said:
Sudden draw surge of both coming on at once is harder on the system.

Jack
On my 02 both fans come on at the same time. They are simply on low or high when they come on.

I don't understand the surge concern. :-?

The factory settings are: low on at 219, off at 208. High on at 228, off at 217. They have a 2 degree over lap in the factory settings. :z:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm beginning to think non-stock fan on/off temp settings and snow flakes have much in common...No two are exactly the same... :p

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Icewasp said:
I'm beginning to think non-stock fan on/off temp settings and snow flakes have much in common...No two are exactly the same... :p
Now you are catching on. :thumb: :z:

I said you would get different ideas on this. ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Can this fan adjustment be accessed through the DIC or can it only be accessed via the plug-in tool?

TIA

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
ST1100 said:
Can this fan adjustment be accessed through the DIC or can it only be accessed via the plug-in tool?

TIA
You can change the factory settings with an edit (plug in) or you can install an adjustible fan controller which will turn the low speed fans on at the temp. you choose. There are also some controllers that have a pre set on temp. :) :z:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts