Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be subjecting the Z to hot temps. I understand that many folks who run in such conditions use transmission and oil coolers, perhaps even differential coolers. I'm interested in keeping the high-stress parts of the engine and drivetrain cool. A higher capacity radiator is a given.

I searched the tech tips forum, and got few hits on the nuts and bolts of aftermarket cooling systems, so I'm asking here.

1) What tranny, oil and diff coolers are ya'll running? Is there a specific company that makes such things?

2) Self install possible (assume adequate shop) or is this a specialty job?

3) Any pitfalls to watch out for when adding this much plumbing to the car?

Thanks for your time.
--Yak

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
my suggestion would be to get a lower temp stat, have a fan controler or reprogram your fans, and get Water Wetter to add to your coolant.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pauln64 said:
my suggestion would be to get a lower temp stat, have a fan controler or reprogram your fans, and get Water Wetter to add to your coolant.
I agree on the water wetter... Going to go 30/70 coolant/h2o and 2 cans of that stuff, per suggestion on tech tips forum.

Not sure I want to mess with the fan therm, because I don't know that it'll ever shut off if I do. I know folks that have low temp 'stats, and they seem to work fine, but I think that will stay stock for now.

--Yak

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yakisoba said:
Going to be subjecting the Z to hot temps. I understand that many folks who run in such conditions use transmission and oil coolers, perhaps even differential coolers. I'm interested in keeping the high-stress parts of the engine and drivetrain cool. A higher capacity radiator is a given.

I searched the tech tips forum, and got few hits on the nuts and bolts of aftermarket cooling systems, so I'm asking here.

1) What tranny, oil and diff coolers are ya'll running? Is there a specific company that makes such things?

2) Self install possible (assume adequate shop) or is this a specialty job?

3) Any pitfalls to watch out for when adding this much plumbing to the car?

Thanks for your time.
--Yak
Hello Yak.

1) DRM coolers and radiator w/oil cooler have a great reputation. Plus you may want to consider adding an accusump if your high temps come from road course.

Also LGM has some coolers and radiator. Great company also.

2) Yes self install for a good DIY is possible.

3) Pitfalls, weight of course. Also need to protect the ss lines and any parts that are close to the ss lines from damaged caused by the lines rubbing. Also it makes the fluids a bit more difficult to change.

I hope others with more info than I will provide more input also.

You can PM me for any more specifics.

Thanks, Perry

·
Registered
475 Posts
You didn't say if you were going to track the car. If you do track the car you WILL need coolers, if your car is for street, coolers won't let it get hot enough to burn off any contaminates in the oil.

Chas.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I just had a DRM integrated radiator/oil cooler installed

best thing I ever did, should have done it 3 yrs ago!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yakisoba said:
Heh, thanks!

What's an accusump? New oil pump?

--Yak
Hello Yak.

Canton Racing Products sums it up very well on their site: "The Accusump provides that extra margin of protection that you need against engine damage caused by loss of oil pressure. Racing and high performance street engines by nature are put under a lot of stress by the high G-load situations that they are placed in. As oil in your pan sloshes about, your oil pump pickup can become uncovered, which causes a loss of oil pressure and sets the stage for severe engine damage. The Accusump provides oil during these times reducing the potential for damage."

Canton's web site

Thanks, Perry

·
Registered
344 Posts
An added benifit of an Acusump is that it can be used to prelube the engine before startup.

I've got an Earl's cooler and accusump fitted up as per T-1 spec and on the street the oil has yet to get above the coolant temp.

For cold weather it's a bit of a problem, and i'm considering either a thermostat, or installing a bypass line during the winter.

I'm driving the Z up untill it snows, and getting the oil up to 150 degrees take a few miles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wlxx861 said:
You didn't say if you were going to track the car. If you do track the car you WILL need coolers, if your car is for street, coolers won't let it get hot enough to burn off any contaminates in the oil.

Chas.
Definitely tracking the car, just DE stuff at the moment. Sounds like the DRM radiator is a good piece, but pricy as well. Going to start saving the $$.

Somebody said snow. Down here, we don't get that alot. Perhaps once a year it gets cold enough to ice up, and the whole city just shuts down. We don't have the extensive sanding trucks and so forth to run anything in the cold. So heat is my main problem.
--Yak

·
Registered
362 Posts
DRM oil cooler is an easy install. Just make sure you route the hoses correctly and tie wrap them away from structural members to keep them from rubbing. I had one come loose and it developed a very slow leak where the hose had rubbed through. On very hot days I was running 300+/- degrees oil temp on the track and with the oil cooler it lowered it down to 250-275 (closer to 250 most of the time). If interested I have posted mine for sale in the for sale section as I'm selling my car. Great thing is it's just as easy to take off.......

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Yakisoba said:
Not sure I want to mess with the fan therm, because I don't know that it'll ever shut off if I do. I know folks that have low temp 'stats, and they seem to work fine, but I think that will stay stock for now.

--Yak
Guess I'm a little confused here. This is by far the easiest and cheapest upgrade mentioned and does make a huge difference in engine temps. Not saying you should not do the other mods, but you really should reconsider this one.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Backlash said:
Guess I'm a little confused here. This is by far the easiest and cheapest upgrade mentioned and does make a huge difference in engine temps. Not saying you should not do the other mods, but you really should reconsider this one.
:jammin:

or spend $1500 like I did on a cooler

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Backlash said:
Ok, I shall look at it again. The thing I noticed was that the fans hardly ever shut off. But if it keeps the engine cooler, I'm interested in it.

--Yak

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jrz1 said:
DRM oil cooler is an easy install. Just make sure you route the hoses correctly and tie wrap them away from structural members to keep them from rubbing. I had one come loose and it developed a very slow leak where the hose had rubbed through. On very hot days I was running 300+/- degrees oil temp on the track and with the oil cooler it lowered it down to 250-275 (closer to 250 most of the time). If interested I have posted mine for sale in the for sale section as I'm selling my car. Great thing is it's just as easy to take off.......
Congrats on your sale. I'm more interested in the radiator with the cooler integrated, I think.
--Yak

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yakisoba said:
Congrats on your sale. I'm more interested in the radiator with the cooler integrated, I think.
Given the choices, I would recommend NOT going this route.

Get the seperate oil cooler intead. This way you'll have two independent sources removing heat from the engine.

Also, it's much easier to regulate the oil temp with the external cooler which is very important. When it's colder out like early spring or late fall, I run with a 1/4 inch rubber flap zip-tied over the face of the oil cooler which works perfectly with 'stock' oil temps (..takes a little longer to heat up the extra volume of oil though). It is cheap and easy to do, and infinitely so compared to installing an in-line oil thermostat.

I've heard some who have the integrated radiator/oil-cooler complaining about their oil running too cool and not being able to do anything about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts