Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cross Corner Weights off by 102lbs..why you never assume

When they corner (cross weighted car) it was off by over 100lbs. :jawdrop:
Ouch bet that wasn't helping on the track. Adjusted and now down to under 7lbs.
Never thought I was off that much.
New Toyo's look awesome (RA1's) and really look huge on stock rims.

Will be curious what Penske SA's, Tires, and cross weighting are worth. Will have first track compare next weekend at South VIR course.
Wish it was full though as I know that very very well for comparison.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
What changes do they make to compensate for the difference? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The Cross Corner Weight % is the important data point. You should not change corner weight(s) unless you know the effect on the cross corner weight %. Corner weights can in fact be significantly unequal but still have the car set up correctly when you look at the cross corner weight %.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry meant cross corner weight.
Was likely way off due to rear rollbar is my guess and recent lowering. So now cross corner is down to 6 lbs difference.

P1 Auto in Balantyne area (they are actually right over border in SC). New shop but experienced, they run in Honda challenge etc.. in NASA.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jub jub said:
This is done without the driver I assume?
No, you want the driver (in the racing position) in the car (or the equivalent weight in the seat)...and the sway bars disconnected too.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
When they corner (cross weighted car) it was off by over 100lbs.
I've noticed as small as 50 lb cross weight difference before. Car oversteered one direction, understeered the other. I'm guessing your car will feel much more balanced than before you had the corner weights adjusted. Enjoy! :cheers:

TedDBere said:
No, you want the driver (in the racing position) in the car (or the equivalent weight in the seat)...and the sway bars disconnected too.
Fuel load should be considered as well. For auto-xers this is likely a light fuel load, like 1/4 tank. I normally set mine at about 5/8 tank as that is about mid race for me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used 180lbs driver weight and 7/8 tank of gas.

Can't wait to run at VIR next weekend. We'll see if shocks, tires and better balance helps alot.
It's a 80 second course so I figure 2 seconds would be a real solid improvement.
:jammin:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
dryforkz06 said:
Curious about this also? Does this change the height of the corners?
Yes, but a small change makes a big difference in corner weights.

Here is a pretty good article on the why and how.
http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html

To change corner weights on a C5/Z06, all you have to do is make minor changes to the ride height bolts. Raise a corner and the weight on that corner and the diagonally opposed corner will go up and the other two will go down. By making small changes on each corner, some up, some down, you can make really large changes in corner weights without really changing ride height.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks

I had no idea this was available or needed. I guess the ride height changes are not noticable then.

Greg :usa:

Subdriver said:
Yes, but a small change makes a big difference in corner weights.

Here is a pretty good article on the why and how.
http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html

To change corner weights on a C5/Z06, all you have to do is make minor changes to the ride height bolts. Raise a corner and the weight on that corner and the diagonally opposed corner will go up and the other two will go down. By making small changes on each corner, some up, some down, you can make really large changes in corner weights without really changing ride height.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
miami993c297 said:
Any advise on who can do a corner wheight in South Florida ??
Christian
Good luck, I've been looking for over a year. Closest I've found is Orlando. I'm seriously contemplating buying scales and offering this service myself. Will let you know if I do. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Phil Croyle runs T1 with me and he's from Boca Raton. He got his car from Phoenix (Pennsylvania) and routinely sends the car back up there for work so that doesn't bode well for the Fla folks. However, there are a couple of shops down there. Jim Rathman, who used to run T1, has a race shop http://www.rathmanracing.com/ and another former racer bud of mine can also build and set up cars Henry Gilbert (although I don't know how to get in touch with him any more). I think he still lives in FLA. (But he's not 65 yet, so it's not mandatory!) :lol: :D

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
miami993c297 said:
Hi dmtnt
I am curious to know how many of us in South Florida are ready to corner weigth their Z06, specially after lowering or a shock change, it seems as important as an alignment ........
what's your opinion?
Christian
I know of 4 or 5 people off the top of my head who would want to do this, all road course/DE guys. I seriously may purchase a set of scales this summer.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
wtknght1 said:
Phil Croyle runs T1 with me and he's from Boca Raton. He got his car from Phoenix (Pennsylvania) and routinely sends the car back up there for work so that doesn't bode well for the Fla folks. However, there are a couple of shops down there. Jim Rathman, who used to run T1, has a race shop http://www.rathmanracing.com/ and another former racer bud of mine can also build and set up cars Henry Gilbert (although I don't know how to get in touch with him any more). I think he still lives in FLA. (But he's not 65 yet, so it's not mandatory!) :lol: :D
I've heard of Jim. Know anyone down here who can do a full T1 cage?

·
Banned
809 Posts
How would you go about setting up the corner weighting if you plan on having a passenger in the car with you at the track? Some of us don't race and usually have a passenger with them at a DE. Should you still have the car corner weighted in this situation or just aligned?

Sal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts