Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the Corsa titanium exhaust installed at the Corsa operations a few weeks ago. What a proceedure!!

First they take off the factor TI Mufflers, then they cut the pipes a few inches back of the Cats and remove them. The new system consists of an H pipe which is then connected to the muffler (round, straight thru design with tiny babbles at the front--required two patents) the next pipe angles the exhaust wider and ends in front of therear axle, the next piece goes over the axle and the 4" exhaust pice is the last piece.

At this time they are all a custom installation, they initially made 6 sets, one was the display model, the second went on the Z06 convertible for the Skunk Werkes, the third went on this car, one set was sent to a vendor and the other two are sitting on the shelf at Corsa.

The proceedure was very long because our replacement H-Pipe was a different width from the production width and a new one had to be made. They found out there was a 3/8" deviation (wider) from the Z06 cats to the standard C5 cats.

The results are fantastic...the sound at idle is slightly above normal, at low throttle it starts to snarl at you, and at WOT it howls perfermance. I ran an autocross at an airport using the runway and return roads. The seat of pants power felt awesome, and the sound of going through the gears had everyone listening. There were 8 Z06's at the event and I had the highest trap speed (92 mph) at the end of the straight.

We were trying to get to the track to see if it was measurably faster than before but it rained the night I had planned on it.
Not being a great drag racer, I have been consistently running 12.8-12.9"s. Since then the Corsa exhaust, a Donaldson, and a Ripper have been added. It should be faster, time will tell.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Gordy M

Great post as im sure there will be lots of intrest in these. Keep us updated on the progress, how bout a full review for the "product reviews" section ??....................

:cool: :cheers: :cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It makes me wish I had a camera along at the time---the pics would be interesting.

If I can get it to the drags before the snow flies up here, I get a better report of before and after.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Hi Gordy!

Great post...thanks.... I saw the TI Corsa exhaust system at the NCM Labor day event and was really impressed with how light their system is!

BTW, hope to see you at next week's meeting!

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The installation sounds like a major project. Since I am already happy with the '02 exhaust note, I would have to see some appreciable power gains (before/after tests) before even considering this expensivo system.

Are there any plans to test for power gains?

·
Registered
575 Posts
How bout the bad news.....the price????????? :eek:
Bob

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Corsa will be doing a before and after dyno testing on an 02 in the future. They want to work out some of the kinks so that the install is the H-pipe, mufler and extension, crossover and exhaust tip. Probably in the next two months. The difference in flow rates shows the Corsa TI's flow 89 % more air than stock Z06. They hope fore 15-20HP for the Z06 and more for the C5. That should relate to about 0.10 sec. in the quarter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
15 seems very optimistic!

The price I heard is like 3500 dollars or something?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently talked to John at Corsa and he said the retail price of the exhaust is $1395 for the TI. Installation is done either at his shop you or your local vendor/welder. Average is $500 or less. As they gear up for the next production run, they feel the install time will be about 2 hours or less.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Gordy:

Did you attend the Corvette Club of Michigan mtg yesterday?
I did not, but I just heard Jim Corsa was the guest speaker!
(I should have gone!!!) :mad:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hmm, 15-20 h/p is what I am hoping to get from a good set of long tube headers. I will be extremely interested is seeing before/after dynos of the Corsa TIs. Given other before /after tests I have seen with catbacks, I must admit to a fair degree of skepticism re such substantial power gains. Although I will admit that if I were ever interested in buying a catback, it would undoubtedly be Corsa, I will need some serious convincing! :roll:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I expected the TI price to be much more than that. Actually got my interest now, but will have to hear how they sound on an 02' ZO6. If anybody has heard one, or hears one, I'd sure like to hear your impressions. Sound byte would be nice too!!!
Bob

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When Jim (Corsa Performance) was talking to our club the other night, he mentioned the TI systems flows over 90% more exhaust gas over the stock 2001 Z06 exhaust and 123% more than the standard exhaust. No figures were given on the 02 Z06 exhaust. I do not know how this relates to HP, but the exhaust is straight from the cat back other than the hump over the axle and ends in a 4" exhasut stack. As I recall, the muffler is 3" in diameter and has a 1/2 in slot opening (about 320 degrees) around the outer edges. Otherwise it is a staight through design.

As for sound, it was the hands down winner over a 2002 Z06 with Corsa Indy's from my fellow competitors at the last autocross I ran.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Gordy M, the percentages info is interesting and certainly appreciated. However, I have no way to gauge what this means in rear wheel h/p terms - i.e. no frame of relativity. I know from my own past experiences with catbacks on LT1 and ZR-1 C4s, they never came close to some of the "up to xx h/p" claims. I was told on good authority that the C5 exhaust is already much more efficient than the C4 exhaust was - especially the Z06 exhaust. Sooo, I am still eagerly awaiting some well documented before/after h/p tests before further consideration. I would only consider a replacement that (a) did not weigh more than my original exhaust (b) produced a sound at least as pleasant as my stock '02 without producing additional resonance, and (c) made demonstrable, h/p gains of at least 10 h/p on an otherwise stock car.

Of course, these are only my personal standards for taking the plunge....

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just talked to my Corsa rep, and he said they're still finalizing things such as pricing, but he did expect somewhere around $1,895 retail. That's still a pretty killer deal for a complete Ti system. The neat thing is that it's a true cat-back, rather than just the rear section. It truly starts right after the cats and goes all the way back. He said the ENTIRE system weighs in at 26lb.! Holy moley!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Gordy M said:
I recently talked to John at Corsa and he said the retail price of the exhaust is $1395 for the TI. Installation is done either at his shop you or your local vendor/welder. Average is $500 or less. As they gear up for the next production run, they feel the install time will be about 2 hours or less.
I will do it for half that! It really is not that bad a job, after the cut is made, you are home free. Considering you are getting the catback and an H pipe, the price is not that bad. The sound is BAD!:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts