Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, this is the latest that I have come up with. I would have posted it earlier but I have been unable to reach this site for a few days. Let me know what you think of these. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I like it. Maybe because Itlooks like a Mits 3000GT. As a point of reference you should look at the front of a 3000GT. Particularly, from 1995 - 1999 which had the buried headlights. I have a 93 3000 and I certainly wouldn't want the Z06 to look like the it! The Z06 has it's own character.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The integrating has already begun. I have been thinking about them and have come up with a more subtle design that I think you guys will like and it should work the same as the factory ones. Now the whole idea to this whole thing is to design a kit, with your help, to sell. The question is would you be interested in buying this kit if the price was competitive? I am also getting some other ideas from the other place that I am posting this that they would like to see a kit that is just like the C5R. Would you be interested in a kit like this to put on your car that looked like that race car? Thanks for all your time.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Jason,

Good stuff! Lookin' good! I think these "cleaner" versions are more what people might be looking for.

As long as you're asking about the C5R, I'll put in my two cents. The coolest thing on that race car (that SHOULD be very doable, I'd think) are the headlights -- and NO ONE can seem to get them right. I don't know why, either. Perhaps they're difficult to make... Or, perhaps they're too costly to make... Or, perhaps the nose of the actual C5R is different enough from the standard C5 that is can't really work. But I don't believe that.

I'd LOVE to see some non-pop-up headlights that look EXACTLY like the C5R ones -- not some of the off-the-mark stuff that's been attempted on the market already.

Have you thought about doing C5R-style headlights?

Thank,

-Kirk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kirk,
I have been doing body work since I was like 4 years old and so I have alot of contacts and knowledge about body panels. Other things I haven't really not any people in. But you just got me thinking. I know a guy that is one of those, and I hope he isn't reading this, mad scientist people. He is very recluse but very talented. He owns a shop that builds nothing but one-off prototype stuff out of all sorts of material and so if anyone can do something, he can. I will talk to him tomorrow and see what he can do. Would anybody else be interested in something like this?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey Jason --

If you're "thinking" more about some "exact replica" C5-R headlights (again, I think the selling point here would be that they'd look just like the C5-R ones, and not some bogus GT-40 knock off-looking things), then why not start a NEW thread about it? Maybe you could entitle it something like "Who'd be interested in an EXACT DUPLICATE C5-R headlight set-up?" or something to that effect...

I think some of the other non-pop-up light set-ups were disappointing to a lot of folks who'd HOPED they'd look like the C5-R ones. You could capitalize on this if you could duplicate the C5-R's design, I'd say.

Thoughts, anyone?

-Kirk

·
Registered
906 Posts
The C5-R headlights would be a mod I would be VERY interested in.

HarlayB

·
Registered
45 Posts

On 2001-04-10 12:18, HarleyB spewed forth this drivel:
The C5-R headlights would be a mod I would be VERY interested in.

HarlayB

These headlights CAN NOT be done without performing major surgery to the wheel well of the car. This is not recommended for a street car as you would have an opening in the wheel well. The finish of the C5R light also is not very "finished." It's a pretty crude rivited lexan piece.

But, more importantly, the geometry does not exist to make them fit without performing a major hack job on your street car.

And, yes.... we have them. We have them for our 24 hour car. If we could make them work for street use, we would have.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
John -- where does the fender/wheelwell interference come into play? is it the rearward length of the lights? Or, is it the depth (underside) of the lights that hang too low (by nature of them just peaking up above the roofline)? Or is there more to it? Seems to me that if they can fit a mechanism that goes up and down in there, someone could certainly manage to get something "fixed" in that same space.

...But what do I know? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Kirk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have to agree with Kirk on this one. I have not looked at the C5R up close but there would be many other ways to make it look like the C5R but maybe go about it differently. I think that you can make a piece that would look pretty close that could be a direct bolt-in. Have you guys looked at the exposed headlights that Breathless Performance makes? They are totally below the hood line, which would mean all the light assembly is below, and from what I can see in the pictures of the C5R, part, if not half, of the light is above the hood line, seems kind of easy if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey Jason -- Glad to hear you say that it seems doable! As you saw from a couple posts above, "If you build it, they will come!"

John -- Sounds to me like you took an ACTUAL C5-R headlight, and went about trying to fit THAT into a [stock] C5, and it didn't fit. Was this the situation? 'Cause if so, I can certainly see how it wouldn't work (assuming that those lights were built for a race car). What I'm wondering is whether or not AFTERMARKET light fixtures can be fabricated to LOOK exactly like the C5-R ones -- with a slight dome to them, covering half the fixture with a body-colored molding, etc. (I wasn't talking about retrofitting an actual C5-R headlight to a normal C5...

...Or, are you saying that nothing that even looks like the C5-R headlights could be made to fit a C5? I don't know if I buy that...

-Kirk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,

I just talked to my guy and the cost of making these exposed headlights is alittle on the expensive side but if I had a set of covers from the actual C5R it would be alot less. Are these covers off the race car the same dimentions as the stock Corvette? And is there anyway I could use or buy a set of covers to make a mold? Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts