Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen loads of threads comparing the next Z06 to the most obvious competition - Viper, Ford GT 911 GT2/Turbo , 430, Gallardo and even cars which are much more expensive but there is one car I haven't seen mentioned here and think would make an interesting comparison.

That is the new Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R Z Tune.

I know the Skyline has been mentioned in the past on this site and none of them would hold anything on the C5 Z06 because they are underpowered and the Z has proven itself as a fine car in all areas with brilliant credentials, but what would you people think of this comparison?

There's no press release on this car - not one that I can find anyway.

Some stats on this car are available at: http://www.nismo.co.jp/Z-tune/ > English > Specifications.

Pictures here (scroll down): http://blog.gtroc.com/dino/skylines/index.html

There was a mag review by a UK performance motoring magazine (EVO), I'll find that later.

IMHO this is a valid comparison despite the price because both cars make similar power (500HP, but obviously one is going to make a lot more torque then the other and have different driving characteristics due to displacement), and both have taken lessons from racing and incorporated into their cars - forged components, advanced materials, etc.

Magazine reviews and reliable sources on GT-R forums state this car to cost 17,000,000 yen in Japan, £80k+ in UK and in excess of $100K in USA (apparently the car is legal for the USA and orders have been taken by USA customers). That doesn't include shipping etc. It's obvious who wins in value for money then - and people complain about the C6 Z06 price, hmmm. A C6 Z06 in the UK is going to be the same price or slightly more then the $65k in the USA.

FWIW, I would rather have a C6 Z06 but this car is formadible as well. BTW, all one-off 20 copies are used R34 GT-Rs and refreshed. It's obvious who wins the exclusivity competition and I bet some people will buy the car for the exclusivity and popularity regardless of the specs. I wouldn't say either car is better as I feel it's a bit premature to say that but my faith stays firm with the Corvette - put that down to enthusiast brand loyalty or whatever you want.

What do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not bad, but the weight is listed at 1600KG (3520 lbs) and the
tires are smaller 285/35 R18, but nonethe less probably very quick. I believe it is also a 4 seater.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeepo said:
Not bad, but the weight is listed at 1600KG (3520 lbs) and the
tires are smaller 285/35 R18, but nonethe less probably very quick. I believe it is also a 4 seater.
Yeah the car is at a big disadvantage with the weight. 4 seats, an iron block, and 4WD contribute to that.

Yeah smaller tires so less grip but then it does have 4WD for good roadholding.

Looks very quick on the Nurburgring - have a video of it. The video length is a bit over 10 minutes but this includes an introduction and ending with the middle being the actual lap. The lap is not edited - i.e. only bits of it shown - so I guess if I timed the start of the lap to the end of the lap we know how quick this car is on the N'Ring - it sure was driven spiritedly.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'm sure it's fast. How quick? I don't know.

Nice car, btw. I also like your handle name.

Alex

·
Registered
51 Posts
This particular Skyline is badass -it uses Nissan's twin-turbocharged 2.6L DOHC in-line 6, the turbo setup being sequential like that of the TT Supras in the 90s. Its concept is very unlike the ZO6 -small displacement, AWD, very high revving, but effective nonetheless. The thing is, only 20 copies are being made at an absurd price and they are being built from used versions. It's kind of like Lingenfelter offering their TT upgrade kit on the C5, but only to 20 customers. We all know what a twin-turbocharged Vette would do to this Skyline, even on the twisties. I have been a fan of Skylines since I was a little boy, but over the years I have grown weary to their hype in the U.S. It seems like people not only want what they can't have but also make such a big, over-exagerrated deal out of it.
To answer the question at hand: Can this Skyline beat the C6ZO6?
On the drag, no, but it may be close on a road course.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I can't find the specs now, but when announced a few months back, they were talking about an around 3 sec. 0-60, and the 1/4 mile was actually in the low 10s!!!

The AWD plus crazy power (500hp and 400tq) helps it achieve those insane numbers.

Geoff

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't know anything about this model but the R33 GTR was the first production car to lap the Nurburgring in less than 8 minutes.

In the UK pretty much all the tuner events are dominated by skylines (some making over 1000 bhp)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nissan claims that it does the quarter in 10.1 seconds no trap speed mentioned. I have seen it iclaimed in a US publication as well where they said it was faster than an Enzo in the quarter cant remember which mag, anyway I find that claim a little hard to believe.
-Mani

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mani said:
Nissan claims that it does the quarter in 10.1 seconds no trap speed mentioned. I have seen it iclaimed in a US publication as well where they said it was faster than an Enzo in the quarter cant remember which mag, anyway I find that claim a little hard to believe.
-Mani
It depends what "over" 500 PS means I guess. 10.1 seconds sounds a bit too quick though ...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mani said:
-Mani
Yeah, we're quoting the same article I guess :)

Geoff

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is a lot of scepticism as to whether the R33 GT-R lapped the N'Ring in under 8 minutes in the exact same trim as it came out of the factory with - same tires, etc. This is almost a dead horse topic on the UK GT-R forums.

I've heard of the 0-60MPH in 3 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds claim at a few sources. Can't quite pinpoint where. I don't believe any of it though. BTW this car comes with a choice of street or race-only tires - maybe if it really did do a 10 second 1/4 mile it was on race-only tires and it might be a result of unfair testing like a drag strip sloping down. Either way, I don't believe it happened and if it did it wouldn't have been in a road legal or stock trim, or fairly achieved. Call me a cynic if you want.

In the UK pretty much all the tuner events are dominated by skylines (some making over 1000 bhp)
Agreed. I wish there were more powerful Corvettes but then the fact they weren't sold here means there is always a smalller market, which doesn''t help much either. There is a 900BHP TT Viper which also ran Silverstate and tuned by Heffner (I think). There is another Viper (ex Skyline owner) running slightly less power and there used to be a 750HP Viper which has left the country. Having said that, a lot of these cars do well in the handling aspects of these events but struggle for traction.

I also like your handle name.
Thanks.

Would love to see a race around a track with both of these cars - Top Gear, but I doubt they would get a C6 Z06, if they did they'd dismiss it and break it as they do with most cars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
3500 lbs and 500 hp and it does the 1/4 in 10 seconds! I call :bs:

A 996 TT at 3300 lbs with 500 hp can't do that, how can the Skyline?

Sorry, it doesn't add up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You never know what a turboed car is making for power.
My CETA makes 393RWHP 407RWT at 5PSI, set it to 10 PSI and the HP goes up to 500. Take a TT Skyline he could probably go substantially over the 500HP mark with a little boost adjustment, add in AWD and it could be pretty mean.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Jeepo said:
You never know what a turboed car is making for power.
My CETA makes 393RWHP 407RWT at 5PSI, set it to 10 PSI and the HP goes up to 500. Take a TT Skyline he could probably go substantially over the 500HP mark with a little boost adjustment, add in AWD and it could be pretty mean.
That's what I mean. Cars can be tuned to different power levels, especially FI cars. That's why I'm saying that if this Skyline was tuned to 500 hp it could not have pulled off a 10 sec 1/4. :NoNo:

3500 lbs + 500 hp +AWD = time > 10 secs.

Alex :guiness:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry guys.. low 10's? that's just exagerrating or cheating (hidden mods). I'm sure everyone has heard the jokes about supra's running 11's no matter how many 1000's of rwhp they get a dyno peak to show. And please don't tell me how you've seen one supra on the internet that runs 10's. There are several, but it takes alot of work, just like any car.

Anyways, maybe those guys were playing gran turismo 4 and turned in a screen shot of 10 seconds. Just so everyone knows, I'd take a skyline right now just because they are so rare in the states. (12, 13 second car or slower even)

·
Registered
139 Posts
djstylze said:
Sorry guys.. low 10's? that's just exagerrating or cheating (hidden mods). I'm sure everyone has heard the jokes about supra's running 11's no matter how many 1000's of rwhp they get a dyno peak to show. And please don't tell me how you've seen one supra on the internet that runs 10's. There are several, but it takes alot of work, just like any car.

Anyways, maybe those guys were playing gran turismo 4 and turned in a screen shot of 10 seconds. Just so everyone knows, I'd take a skyline right now just because they are so rare in the states. (12, 13 second car or slower even)
if someone said a stock z06 could do the quarter in high 11's, they'd have the same reaction as you. i'm sure somewhere, somehow, someone probably knocked off that perfect run and that's what everyone believes that that is what this skyline could do.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
ibismojo said:
if someone said a stock z06 could do the quarter in high 11's, they'd have the same reaction as you. i'm sure somewhere, somehow, someone probably knocked off that perfect run and that's what everyone believes that that is what this skyline could do.
The difference here is that the Z's time is a difference of about 0.4. The Skyline's time that we're talking about is a difference of about 2 seconds - maybe more. I don't think that's close at all.

My buddy's friend has a modded 996 Turbo that has about 750 hp. I think I heard he was doing high 10s with about 650 hp - before he made the jump to his present power level.

His car is stock weight - about 3300 lbs. There is no way he could have gotten 10.1 with 500 hp - that's close to stock (X50 = 450 hp).

How does that compute with you? Maybe they tested the Skyline with a 50 mph tailwind?

Alex :mug:

·
Registered
139 Posts
it's got a fair amount of torque, and if the power band is flat, it's believable, under the right circumstances. the srt-10 viper weighs in at almost 3400, and it can do mid-high 11's on street tires (of course these are mag times i'm sure more experience viper drivers can probably do a little better, just like a fellow Z06 driver here was able to produce sub 12 quarters).

so if you consider race tires (whether drag slicks or not, who knows), AWD, good track and good driver, mid-high 10's might be possible, though 10.1 seems a little optimistic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts